Greenpeace activists close down BP stations in London

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

We have to look beyond our own countries borders. We have to stop considering ourselves as an individual race/species/civilization/culture when it comes to the fact that our ocean, THE one and only ocean we have has, and is, being heavily polluted and the creatures that rely on it destroyed for the process of profit.

I am sure that many Japanese also believe that their 'local businesses' are suffering every time Greenpeace stops the mass slaughter of completely defenseless whales.

I'm sure poachers complain about getting shot at and killed by game keepers who are doing their best to stop the illegal murder of white rhinos for their horns and elephants for their ivory.

I suppose the ban on shark fishing just for the fins to make soup (often throwing the live sharks back into the ocean) is acceptable as long as 'local business' does not suffer..

i cannot understand the thinking of some people in this day and age..

Are we not supposed to be more aware and awake here on this site and the things we discuss? Do we not have a sense of compassion for our planet and all that sustains us..

I'm sure that a few local businesses collapsing will be the end of our society and I am sure it really upsets your daily TV viewing or maybe it means you have to drive an extra few miles to do your shopping.

Daft I call it..

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

To clarify, I have no small business that will be impacted by the actions of Greenpeace.

None of us know the financial situation of any of the small businesses that have been impacted by the Greenpeace action and you can bet that no one at Greenpeace cares either. This is just a publicity stunt to raise the profile of Greenpeace so they can raise more money.

One of the small business owners could be struggling to make the replayements on the loans or finance to buy the business and even a loss of half a days trade can make a huge impact on cash flow. And do you think the banks will care about the actions of Greenpeace. No.

I would have liked to think that Greenpeace would think about its actions but no, a quick headline is more important that the future of a couple of small businesses. I am sure the people who run and manage Greenpeace will celebrate the PR they got and not one of them will stop and consider the impact at a local level.

I hope that none of the owners of these BP stations are in the situation I have outlined.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

And the very fact we seem to care more about other countries than our own is the biggest problem. I do not care about the rest of the world. There are more important issues that need to be solved in my own country before we are start to tackle the ills of the rest of the world.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I still find it odd why you are more concerned about local business than the disaster that BP has created.

The deep water disaster has the potential to kill millions of people, but small business and repayments on loans etc seem to be more important to you than the lives of many a living being.

Pretty sad really..

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

It's because of "other countries", as you call it, that every other country has the problems they face.. including the UK.

And some of the main causes of these problems is OIL, money, greed, corruption and an overwhelming desire from a select few to rule the world.

Just look how far Ronald McDonlad has come in the last 20 years..

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

First, we caused the oil spill in the GoM because of all our greed for the products of the crude oil ecomony, and BP like many other of the oil companies are in effect our agents to get the oil we need to continue to enjoy the ability to connect to the internet and post on this forum.

BP are just the company that asked for and was given the permits to drill. We all need to accept the blame for what happen.

And what real evidence is there that millions of people will die because of this oil spill? Of course, there is no evidence that any of the small business owners of BP stations protested by Grrenpeace today will die either, or that their businesses will fail.

Of course, I am more concerned at the lose or failure of a small business in the UK. That has a real impact on this country as so many other businesses and people depend of other local small businesses.

If Greenpeace was interested in something other than media headlines that would have taken the time to consider the impact of their actions on these small business owners. Greenpeace are looking for this action to have some impact of BP. It will have none and based on many of the comments posted on newspaper discussion boards, this action could have caused a backlash for Greenpeace which in many of its fights, does the right thing.

I see the impact of the lost of small businesses everyday and the despair of those owners who lose everything, busting the guts out. Just how pleased will any of these businesses owners be if their business fails, maybe not as a direct result of this action but the stupid actions of a bunch of eco-warriors who have a beef with a oil company that is getting oil out of the ground because we want the benfits of the crude oil economy.

How many of the Greenpeace protesters used products of the crude oil economy to arrange and execute this action. They, just like us are as much to blame for the need to drill for oil in the GoM.

Can I imply from your posts that the future of these small business owners is not as important as the rights of Greenpeace to attempt to damage their businesses.

I certainly hope that one of these small business owners decided to sue Greenpeace for the lost of their right to trade. I, for one would financial support this as I continue to support small and local businesses everyday in the UK.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Woodward & Extralien,

How is this helping the gulf? What will Greenpeace’ actions actually achieve for them?

Will it affect BP in a financial way? Not really.
Has it increased public scrutiny of BP? Nope.
Has it helped get the oil cleaned up? No.
Will it help get the people affected by the leak compensation? Not at all.

Will it annoy thousands of Londoners? Yep.
Will it turn people against Greenpeace? Done.
Might it alienate people and turn them against those who protest BP? Very possibly.
Will it harm the people who rely on or run these petrol stations? Obviously.
Has it produce a massive amount of media exposure for Greenpeace? Most certainly.

And that is all this is, one big publicity stunt that will have next to zero effect on BP or the gulf region; all at the cost of thousands of Londoners.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Looks like I am in agreement with Mike_A. Must have been writing at the same time.

To me the question seems to be

What was the purpose behind the Greenpeace action?

If it was to deal a blow to BP. Then quite clearly it was never going to be significant. A microscopic drop in the ocean.

If it was to raise UK awareness of BP’s action in the GoM. Well that’s no bad thing, just a shame to have to do it at the expense of small businesses. Especially as the lack of awareness is more down to MSM’s lack of reporting.
or
Was it to gain publicity for Greenpeace? Maybe
or
Was it to damage small businesses and annoy motorists? I doubt that was the intention but may well be the outcome
or
Was it because they thought they should been seen to be doing something?

I am appalled at the disaster in the GoM and as I said in a previous post in this thread, BP are and should remain accountable. They must pay for clean up and pay compensation to local businesses in the GoM that have suffered.

If for whatever reason BP goes bust before this is completely done and dusted, it will fall on governments to continue the work. Of course we all know that for Governments we should just read tax payer.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by quadratic]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?

Originally posted by Mike_A
Rubbish! Greenpeace have no right to dictate what brand of petrol station we are allowed to use. If someone's conscience tells them that BP deserve to be punished then let them do that themselves.

I'll second that. This will do nothing but cause mayhem and additional traffic chaos and confusion.
Once again, the activists missing the big picture. Bet they all drove there; probably in a Prius as well lol.

Actually that's probably the point.... doh!

Well done Greenpeace

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is good Greenpeace has always been a good organization. Lets all be grateful for a great group of people trying to be patriotic

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Paradigm2012

When has causing hassle to hundreds, if not thousands of people and stoping small business owners from making a living even been patriotic?

And good people would not seek to damage the small businesses of hard working people who typically own petrol stations.

If stopping decent hard working small business owners from earning a living is what Greenpeace has been reduced to, time to lock up the leaders and ban it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
reply to post by Paradigm2012

When has causing hassle to hundreds, if not thousands of people and stoping small business owners from making a living even been patriotic?

Actually if they're local businesses then shoppers probably need LESS petrol to get there.

And good people would not seek to damage the small businesses of hard working people who typically own petrol stations.

Speak for yourself. Good people would not willingly ruin an ecosytsem and cost hundreds of thousands of lives, aswell as lying about it.

If stopping decent hard working small business owners from earning a living is what Greenpeace has been reduced to, time to lock up the leaders and ban it.

Hmm but you're defending Bp. Which makes you (in my eyes) a corporate defender. This is what is ruining small business.

You need to get your facts straight sonny jim.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Just to clarify;
Greenpeace also stops the slaughter of whales.
This upsets many businesses, both small and large.

In your opinion, what is better, the eventual extinction of a sea going mammal or the money lined pockets of another mammal?

The very small disruption todays event caused is miniscule in comparison to the mess that BP has created in the GOM, and I am not just thinking about the oil, I am also taking into consideration the millions of gallons of corexit that they have pumped into the ocean too.

Your continued concern for 'the small business' is uncomprehensible when you look at the big picture.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
boo hoo poor saudis. now they can't purchase any more palaces made of gold and necklaces made of american skulls and hearts. for a few weeks until this whole spill thing blows over, anyway.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
boo hoo poor saudis. now they can't purchase any more palaces made of gold and necklaces made of american skulls and hearts. for a few weeks until this whole spill thing blows over, anyway.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Greenpeace has noble ideals, and I often support their aims but they are not always right. Often they put ideology ahead of practicality. By spreading disinfo about nuclear power they've probably done more harm to the environment than good. Their intentions are good but their tactics are faulty.

They seem to think they can harangue people into using less energy. Not a chance, until its far too late. If we want to solve our energy problems it needs engineering solutions. That needs regulation to make it cost effective to develop/deploy a non fossil energy transport infrastructure. That in turn needs political will.

I cannot see how inconveniencing the public and financially punishing small station owners helps achieve the above. This is a bit of opportunist band wagon jumping and will do nothing but make enemies of people who would otherwise support their cause.

Besides, who gave them the right to determine what I can and cannot purchase and from where? Are they elected? I think not. I do not equate the right to protest with the right to vandalise.

The irony of protesting a fuel disaster by vandalising a petrol station safety system is also palpable.

Opportunism 1 - Common Sense 0

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

This is the sort of thing that needs to be done to companies who cause such a mess.. Shut them down and hit them where it really hurts.

...and the employees of those business'? What pray happens to them?

Gee, you lost your job...your home...your car...that's too bad... But boy we sure taught BP a lesson, didn't we?

Declare vendetta against the evil corporations. Sounds great. Makes for wonderful internet headlines, and all that... Just make sure you ignore the effects, mostly if not all, bad on the folks who had nothing to do with the Gulf disaster.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

...and the employees of those business'? What pray happens to them?

Probably the same thing that's happened to the 11 families who lost a father when those men died on the oil rig .... but they wont be grieving the loss of a loved one who died in order for a 'fat cat' (who is about to retire with a 600k pension) to make a profit.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Probably the same thing that's happened to the 11 families who lost a father when those men died on the oil rig .... but they wont be grieving the loss of a loved one who died in order for a 'fat cat' (who is about to retire with a 600k pension) to make a profit.

One was an accident. The other, puts how many thousands out of work? Possibly out of their homes? Or any number of other things, most bad.

For example: A child who needs medical care? But hey, no insurance coverage...ooops. But as long as BP is made to pay, that's ok, huh?

BP's response has been irredeemably grotesque. On that we are agreed. But to punish, however unintentionally, the little guys while attempting to punish the big guys is not a good thing.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Nevermind delete

[edit on 27-7-2010 by mr-lizard]

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join