It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants to be my 1,000th Foe?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

Longer than it took me to figure it out, which I'm already pretty embarrassed to admit to doing

I don't think anyone's noticed, I think you'll be ok.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'd Foe you but...

I have nothing against you

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Not the reason. I really don't need to get attention, I've been here for far too long, people already know me well enough. Without declaring the purpose of the project, I may release the results of this long experiment (one which I almost lost all my data on. Stupid Comp-U-ter machines!) after I reach the 1k mark, maybe the 2k. It's currently given me some unexpected results.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
HA

BE YOUR FOE!!!!!

I am too smart to be struck with YOUR ignorance!

If you were a REAL MAN YOU WOULDN'T BE DOING THIS.

I WILL TELL YOU WHY I AM A REAL MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SUCH A REAL MAN MY COMPUTER DOESN'T HAVE A CONTROL KEY. I'M SUCH A REAL MAN THAT WHEN PEOPLE LOOK UP MAN IN THE DICTIONARY THEY SEE A PICTURE OF ME PUNCHING THEM IN THE FACE.I'M SUCH A REAL MAN WHEN I GET ANGRY I GET SUPER POWERFUL AND MY HAIR TURNS YELLOW.

I AM SUCH A REAL MAN THAT I MADE YOU READ ALL THE CRAP I HAVE WRITTEN UP THERE AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HA!

GO BACK AND COWER IN THE FACE OF GLORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

You may be a contender. Thanks for the laugh. Was quite awesome.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

In all seriousness now.

You're doing it to see what reaction you get.
You want to see what percentage foe you back, how many send you a U2U and how many get publicly or privately "Shirty" with you.

I bet some of the comments and messages have been pretty funny actually.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer baby !!!

So Mr WoW, how close do ya want to get eh ??

Muahahaha......

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yup. I've been logging the various reactions I've been getting. It's a social experiment to see how important web 2.0 based social networking functions are to people on ATS. I had a hypothesis three years back that the new implementation of these systems were going to make people needy and wanting of acceptance, and as a result suffer a drop in quality and a drastic change in board behavior. Three years later, we have packs of roaming cults of personality, following specific people around, not contributing to a thread besides "I can't wait til gets here" and mass starring and flagging to get acceptance. The experiment relied on logging the emotional responses I received: anybody showing angry, resent, or any negative emotion pointing to an impact upon their psyche was considered a "hit." I initially thought that the older members would be more resilient to this, and the newer members would be more susceptible, do to their initial exposure to the social networking algorithms produced on the site. I was in fact quite wrong, and as my data set grew it was pretty much even between old guard and new.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Pretty cool experiment. I never really cared about the whole foe thing. If someone foes me I think ok they probably didn't like something I said. I got foed a lot when I had a certain avatar some thought was me showing I was satanic, that was a riot!

I look forward to your results

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Not everybody feels the same. I've been told, mostly by the very people that have provided me with similar emotional responses, that it's a faulty way to find results. I'm looking forward to seeing some heating intellectual debate on it.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I don’t mean to be nit piky lol

But….

You appear to have added yourself, to your own foe list!

I was going to ask you, what foe criteria you were looking for, but it appears that just about anything goes…

- JC

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft

I don’t mean to be nit piky lol

But….

You appear to have added yourself, to your own foe list!

I was going to ask you, what foe criteria you were looking for, but it appears that just about anything goes…

- JC

Not possible..check the difference in capital letters.
Different member altogether.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
reply to post by blupblup

Yup. I've been logging the various reactions I've been getting. It's a social experiment to see how important web 2.0 based social networking functions are to people on ATS. I had a hypothesis three years back that the new implementation of these systems were going to make people needy and wanting of acceptance, and as a result suffer a drop in quality and a drastic change in board behavior. Three years later, we have packs of roaming cults of personality, following specific people around, not contributing to a thread besides "I can't wait til gets here" and mass starring and flagging to get acceptance. The experiment relied on logging the emotional responses I received: anybody showing angry, resent, or any negative emotion pointing to an impact upon their psyche was considered a "hit." I initially thought that the older members would be more resilient to this, and the newer members would be more susceptible, do to their initial exposure to the social networking algorithms produced on the site. I was in fact quite wrong, and as my data set grew it was pretty much even between old guard and new.

Got a degree in Sociology Wolf?
Would make a killer thesis for somebody.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Click on the name wolfofwar, in wolfofwar's foes list and see where it takes you...

- JC

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Joecroft]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

No, but I've always been interested in the topic. I like to keep myself broad in my personal research. I really prefer Socio-Economics over traditional Sociology though. I believe the incentives structure present in economic theory is a more reliable testing mechanism to study human motivations.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

click on your own name, you should be able to friend or foe yourself.

Give it a try!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
I've been told, mostly by the very people that have provided me with similar emotional responses, that it's a faulty way to find results. I'm looking forward to seeing some heating intellectual debate on it.

I see two major (potential) flaws in it:

First, selection bias. How do you choose who gets foed? For instance, if you go to a social-type thread and just foe everyone in it, then you're only getting a sample of people who use ATS/BTS for social interaction.

Second, the very fact that you have so many people on your foe list may influence how people feel about being foed by you. This could go any number of ways. For instance, when I saw you foed me, I thought "oh, he got around to my name." So I didn't say anything/react until I was bored and saw this thread. But I have reacted to other people foe-ing me by sending a u2u asking what the cause was.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see your results

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

A very good point. I can't really help to do anything about the bias associated with my own foe list, but still the aggression and anger associated with being a foe indicates that it in fact means *something* to them, and is likely associated with a reward and punishment system. They feel punished because they were foe'd and see's I have foed "everybody" and gets angry due to the unwarranted punishment in the users eyes. It does slightly affect the experiment but not in any way that is severely detrimental (they would be already exhibiting an angered response.) In future experiments I should be more careful.

My data set though was collected in a very broad area. All from threads and forums that were serious conspiracy discussions. I tried to keep my number roughly even with how many each time I went to grab foes I would take from a specific forum. Usually I tried to stay close to the same number for each board. It kept the data set varied.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

somehow doubled posted! sorry!

[edit on 7-13-2010 by WolfofWar]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
But I have reacted to other people foe-ing me by sending a u2u asking what the cause was.

I do the same thing (save for WoW)...I may be one of the few who got yahn goody to reverse the foeing...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join