It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants to be my 1,000th Foe?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hi.

I'd like to ask why the foe feature is such a loaded subject ? A taboo almost...

This is what is exactly written in the foe boxes:

I'm a Foe Of
These members have picked me as their worthy adversaries.

My Respected Foes
These are my worthy adversaries who keep me on my toes.

It could be my English, but does worthy adversary not mean something like : Someone you respect but you do not agree with ?

They keep me on my toes ? Does this not mean something like : They make me think, correct me when I'm mistaken... Keep me alert.

Are these things not right ? IMO these are great and one of the reasons I'm on ATS. I like to learn stuff, but what is the point if no one makes me understand what I've learned ?

The reason I do not foe is because the majority think it is a negative thing. The truth is that they are wrong and the foe function is there to honor those who dare to challenge your opinion and make you think or point out a mistake with respect.

Respect means that they attack your post and not you. Isn't it supposed to work like that ?

Just my 2 cents...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
It could be my English, but does worthy adversary not mean something like : Someone you respect but you do not agree with ?

I usually friend such people or just don't add them. I don't need a mnemonic aid to track people's basic outlooks. The only one I added as a foe was Anonymous ATS, just because it seemed to serve no point to so.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
reply to post by WolfofWar

you amaze me yet again, and here I though this thread was gonna be a waste of time. You sir have made a friend today. Congratulations.

I'll friend him anyway. Take that!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I do the same. I never ended up with disagreeing with someone on a regular basis that would make one a worthy adversary. Usually I'm just wrong and I end up agreeing or having learned a new thing...

Even then it would probably not be appreciated to foe one, so.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Yeah, a lot of people misuse the Foe function in order to exact (what they perceive to be) vengeance on someone they don't like.

I don't foe people because I just can't bring myself to get that emotionally involved in a message board. If random internet people can make you that angry, you need psychological help, not a "foe" button.

$0.02

TheAssoc.

Edit: Grammar

[edit on 2-8-2010 by TheAssociate]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

It's that type of reaction you speak about that made me curious about the entire phenomenon. It's amazing how something digital can imitate the social mores of the real world so closely. The foe system becomes a negative enforcer for social incentive, which actually changes how people approach the site entirely. It's pretty amazing how strong of a reaction you will get from somebody when you foe them. Just grab somebody random and foe them.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

To my knowledge, this thread is the first you and I have both posted on.

From the eight or so posts I have made on this thread in reply to you, you have presumed to make the following assessments:

~I have poor mathematical skills
~I have poor reading comprehension
~I have poor vision
~You have knowledge of my research skills/history, or lack thereof
~I am a failure
~I project my feelings and thoughts onto you
~I am an ageist
~I have an inherent lack of trust and dislike for those younger than me
~I was unaccomplished, when I was your age.
~I am a liar
~I have a prejudice against people my own age
~I am confused
~I am in a pit of resentment and prejudice
~I have been "ousted" from this thread due to my own resentment and prejudice
~I have embarrassed myself
~I am Passive-aggressive
~I am demeaning to my own self.
~I make baseless attacks
~I am ignorant
~I misrepresent facts
~I look like a fool
~I have a superiority complex because I am older than you
~I am obsessed with your age
~I am upset and resentful because I perceive that you can do things I can't do
~My reading skills are so poor, I couldn't possibly know how to write
~I try violently to bring a thread back to topic
~I am avoiding bad treatment from you
~I am running from you and cowering in fear over you

What?

After all this, what could I possibly have to say to you?
Only this: You are wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
It's pretty amazing how strong of a reaction you will get from somebody when you foe them. Just grab somebody random and foe them.

I'm tempted.

I'm seriously tempted.

The troll in me says "go for it," but then the apathy kicks in.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I spoke about it before, but this site reinforces the idea that a foe is something of greater import than a friend since it sends you a damned U2U about getting foed. You could randomly friend people too but they might not notice for awhile but foe them and they get an emergency broadcast!

Also, it feels to me like many don't really appreciate a random friend as much as they enjoy that rush of a feeling that someone doesn't like them (in conflict with an internal, "Hey, who could NOT like me? If they don't they're defective. (even deeper inside: "Awesome! I'm not bored now since I have an excuse to feign deep sensitivity about this and I know I can fool myself into believing in my reality.")").

"Foe" here tend to be interpreted as "enemy" and the intended humor is lost on many. Perhaps a less loaded term could be employed. Would such an insignificant change significantly change the way people feel about it?

[edit on 8/2/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

*snip*

I just wanted to preserve your quoting post error before you had a chance to fix it.

I now demand to be your 1111th foe.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by The Utopian Penguin]

Mod Edit: Snipped Ill-Mannered quote

[edit on 8/3/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

You are a scholar and a saint.

No doubt it will be used as a last ditch effort by somebody in an effort to somehow invalidate the post because I was unaware that quotes and italics for some reason cancel each-other out in the code.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Which you do, quite obviously. I stated, on July 13th 2010 in this very thread:

I had a hypothesis three years backthat the new implementation of these systems were going to make people needy and wanting of acceptance, and as a result suffer a drop in quality and a drastic change in board behavior. Three years later, we have packs of roaming cults of personality,

I can say absolute certainty that ladyinwaiting isn't an agist.

She can get along just fine with the reading, the results of which depends upon what she's choosen to do.

As for the remainder, I just like the song:

I've noticed you sort of have a reputation yourself vis-a-vis a cult of foeing.

(Yes, I know serious discussions aren't supposed to use emoticons and their inclusion in a post ostensibly displays a juvenile proclivity-- more cultish nonsense, I say.)

[edit on 8/3/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

you are so cute! absolutley adorable.

can i be 1,001?

no explanation necessary, or reason is needed. butt, if you need one...

i'm looking forward to automatic notification via u2u message.

why not play the ATS rebel to true extreme and add just one friend to your friends list?

like:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

hugs & kisses,
et

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
no explanation necessary, or reason is needed. butt, if you need one...

That looks like a Brazilian butt job.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

that two cents may be worth more than two cents.

i haven't put anyone on that ignore option in over five years.

and the only ATSer i have ever put on my respected foes list is SimonGray, for either no reason at all or at least one reason as of yet undetermined.

anyways Associate, well put.

ATS is fun,
et

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

It's amazing how something digital can imitate the social mores of the real world so closely.

it isn't too amazing once one knows more about themselves, i think.

everything we are creating in our shared reality is representative of something(s) that are being reflected from within.

according to the inane 5 senses i utilize to observe our shared reality it seems to me some times that the fears and hates people cannot resolve within themselves get projected out onto our shared reality.

of course, i reserve the right to claim i have been totally wrong about these observations pending the gathering of future information i may experience.

on a lighter side, i don't think i'm on your foes list yet, and if i am to be in a box, i may prefer to be in a box where i am not alone.

so in order to expedite the process of making your respected foes list, and in a rationaly magneloquent manner go around one possible interpretation, i'd like to say to the op:

go pollinate yourself and your paternal ancestors.

also:

have a great day,
et

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

it isn't too amazing once one knows more about themselves, i think.

everything we are creating in our shared reality is representative of something(s) that are being reflected from within.

according to the inane 5 senses i utilize to observe our shared reality it seems to me some times that the fears and hates people cannot resolve within themselves get projected out onto our shared reality.

of course, i reserve the right to claim i have been totally wrong about these observations pending the gathering of future information i may experience.

Well said, well said indeed...

took me minute to get all that but damned if you haven't put all that as compact as I have ever read.

(yes this is one of those pointless posts that contribute nothing to the subject at hand, it;s just that I really needed to compliment et on his writing.)

so now just move along....nothing to see here......

oh yeah...to the OP....

Sometimes when you treat people like numbers, and then tell them they have been in a study they knew nothing about, they tend to get a little pissed.

Think of the girl who "tests" her boyfriend. Once it is brought out that it was a test, things don't go so well. (no matter what the outcome of the test was)

Careful there, you not only might make people angry, but in a vindictive mood as well. Matters not what your intentions were, you should at least know a little what makes people tick before studying them and then putting it all out there.:shk:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

you are so cute! absolutley adorable.

can i be 1,001?

i don't know whether i was #1,001 or #1,002 but....

woo hoo! i'm in da club!

this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

i don't know whether i was #1,001 or #1,002 but....

If I am still in position 1,000, then robbinsj was 1,001 and you are 1,002.

Time for a WolfofWar foe social? Should be a hell of a gathering. I'll bring the cheese.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join