It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants to be my 1,000th Foe?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

A very good point. I can't really help to do anything about the bias associated with my own foe list, but still the aggression and anger associated with being a foe indicates that it in fact means *something* to them, and is likely associated with a reward and punishment system. They feel punished because they were foe'd and see's I have foed "everybody" and gets angry due to the unwarranted punishment in the users eyes. It does slightly affect the experiment but not in any way that is severely detrimental (they would be already exhibiting an angered response.) In future experiments I should be more careful.

Regarding "punishment/reward" dynamics (and many other familiar elements) in a social web structure:

Reward — but don't over-reward — participants. Rewarding people for contributing will help motivate users who have lives outside the Internet, and thus will broaden your participant base. Although money is always good, you can also give contributors preferential treatment (such as discounts or advance notice of new stuff), or even just put gold stars on their profiles. But don't give too much to the most active participants, or you'll simply encourage them to dominate the system even more. www.useit.com...

There's many more studies/examples of egoic dynamics on the internets ...

Not sure you needed to foe everyone to derive that folks' egos, digital or otherwise, are fragile and easily vexed .... but there you have it.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

reply to post by blupblup

Yup. I've been logging the various reactions I've been getting. It's a social experiment to see how important web 2.0 based social networking functions are to people on ATS. I had a hypothesis three years back that the new implementation of these systems were going to make people needy and wanting of acceptance, and as a result suffer a drop in quality and a drastic change in board behavior. Three years later, we have packs of roaming cults of personality, following specific people around, not contributing to a thread besides "I can't wait til gets here" and mass starring and flagging to get acceptance. The experiment relied on logging the emotional responses I received: anybody showing angry, resent, or any negative emotion pointing to an impact upon their psyche was considered a "hit." I initially thought that the older members would be more resilient to this, and the newer members would be more susceptible, do to their initial exposure to the social networking algorithms produced on the site. I was in fact quite wrong, and as my data set grew it was pretty much even between old guard and new.

I thought as much to be honest, was just having a little fun in the thread.
I believe I sent you a U2U saying something along the lines of "I'm honoured"
When you Foe'd me.

Interesting set of data I bet.

Will you publish it when your experiment is over?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yes I will, I only wish I was more rigorous in the development of the experiment. Some of the data I later on realized I would have liked to have kept was lost. Live and learn. I can't wait to post it and be defamed and torn to shreds.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I never heard of you-- most likely because we have no common interests-- until someone pointed me to this thread. You were always insignificant to me and will likely continue to be until the sun takes its last gulp of hydrogen.

PS. I just posted here because I wanted to get some BTS points.

[edit on 7/14/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
However, first I must know this: What is the criteria?

What is your criteria, sir?

I think he explained, more or less, that you couldn't already be foed and that any further reasons would not be disclosed.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Well then, I seem to have been disrepectful of his assertions and posts.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Well then, I seem to have been disrepectful of his assertions and posts.

Probably why you got on the list fairly early, thus disqualifying yourself from the magic number, and I never knew WoW existed in the first place.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

I never heard of you-- most likely because we have no common interests-- until someone pointed me to this thread. You were always insignificant to me and will likely continue to be until the sun takes its last gulp of hydrogen.

PS. I just posted here because I wanted to get some BTS points.

[edit on 7/14/2010 by EnlightenUp]

I believe that's a "hit." I'll have to change your poll data.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I believe that's a "hit." I'll have to change your poll data.

But, now that I've heard of you and read some of your posts, I think a good portion of what I said above is incorrect, except for what is simply factual of circumstances of course.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Still was a hit.

data has been recorded, thank you for your participation.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Still was a hit.

data has been recorded, thank you for your participation.

I thought I wouldn't accomplish anything when I awoke this morning, now my poll data has been changed and recorded and I made a "hit". Life throws pleasant surprises our way, especially when we're here to serve a higher calling.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'm still wondering why you're advertising Japanese condoms.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09404c880138.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo

I'm still wondering if this contest is in full swing or cancelled to due poor attendance.

The above remark may be related to the condoms, or it may not.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09404c880138.jpg[/atsimg]

How can you tell if its even related to condoms? You got any proof? Also has the contest really ended in epic fail?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
How can you tell if its even related to condoms? You got any proof?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0ace3a62379.jpg[/atsimg]

Obvious enough I think. :bash:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

cartoon looking ads sure do bring attention to the Japs but is there a secret agenda to this thread then? Good find!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I think the relation between me and condoms should be self evident.

Oh, the winner has been chosen, congratulations Enlighten.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I think the relation between me and condoms should be self evident.

Oh, the winner has been chosen, congratulations Enlighten.

Woohoo! After not placing even an honorable mention in the BBOT writing competion, I graciously accept!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

I don't believe you.

You joined ATS in 2003, and began the journey of your greatest ATS *accomplishment* to date, as a serial foe-er. (Yes, you are the Ted Bundy of foeing, you can have that award, congrats, what-ev)

According to your birthday, in 2003 you were 15, amost 16 years old the day you signed up here.

You will now have us believe you were engaging in a study of this nature for seven years, since you were 15 years old? Pfft.

It is more likely that now you are older, you realize the absurdity of it all, and want to change your foe-ing ways, as you see it for the silliness it is.

So you start a thread claiming you have been engaged in some lofty sociological study, collecting data, (which sadly, some of it has turned up missing
in a rather transparent faux-justification of your preposterously long list of adversaries.

Your foe list actually looks more like the manifestation of a rather disgruntled and angry young man, who rather engages in hissy fits and pounds on the foe button when someone disagrees with his obviously narrow ideologies.

But a seven year study beginning at the age of fifteen?

Play this tune as long as you like. I will never dance to it.

[edit on 8/1/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

reply to post by WolfofWar

I don't believe you.

You joined ATS in 2003, and began the journey of your greatest ATS *accomplishment* to date, as a serial foe-er. (Yes, you are the Ted Bundy of foeing, you can have that award, congrats, what-ev)

Thank you for that honor.

According to your birthday, in 2003 you were 15, amost 16 years old the day you signed up here.

Your powers of mathematical deductions amaze me. Although I actually was younger when I signed up here. I signed up on ATS back when it was a B board in 2001.

You will now have us believe you were engaging in a study of this nature for seven years, since you were 15 years old? Pfft.

Your powers of reading comprehension are underwhelming. The Foe system wasn't installed on ATS until about 3 years ago or so, when I was 19-20 years of age. I joked with "colleagues" on ATS that I foresaw it to devolve ATS into the same psychological trap that facebook "created" (It's really a trapping of all social networking, but that's for the thesis!) I started to foe a few random people because I wanted to see what kind of reaction it got, especially since nobody has really used the FOE part of it yet. The responses were all similar, and made me stop and ponder what the cause was, so I started a rather simple data collection.

I could have sworn I went over this already, I guess I should have written it in larger font?

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join