It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Hell really a place of torture?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
no, hell is not a physical place of torture, heaven and hell are in the mind. Either you understand the true nature of the mind or you are attached only to materialism, which is a type of physical hell, but the mind does not completely forget its origin, which can always return to the primary source through knowledge of the supreme.

To make that statement above you need to at the same time believe Jesus Christ was a liar. He taught/warned more about a real, physical Hell more than anyone in the Word of God.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Do you have any scripture from the NT to back that up? Prove that Christ believed in a physical hell.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Do you have any scripture from the NT to back that up? Prove that Christ believed in a physical hell.

I've done this numerous times before with this same topic but people flat-out refuse to look at the Greek as well for the same verses. If I do this for you, will you also verify the Greek as well to back up the English for the verses?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Hell is a true place alright...
And Santa do exist and earth is hollow.

Hell is an invention of church to control by fear. I think Gulf of Mexico would qualify as hell on earth right now.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I am not Christian, but I grew up as one. I consider myself Pantheist now. I believe that Heaven and Hell are just two different states which we create for ourselves and have the choice to choose one or the other. Wherever we are, I very much consider it to be Hell. It is just the state that this world is in right now. Whenever I find peace and beauty on this earth, I find a piece of Heaven. The temptation of money and power is very real and corrupting our true nature. I very much agree with whoever stated that the individual is punished enough by whatever comes from giving in to the corruption. Some effects, overall, are unhappiness, addiction, dependency, mental and physical diseases and basically just spiritually suicidal as I would say. These words can be complete nonsense, but I think everyone should be looking at Heaven and Hell as if it is the most relevant choice confronting your life, because life itself is the time to be rewarded. Create Heaven on earth, don't expect it to just come to you after passing.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Sure, Greek is fine. I'm not saying I don't believe you I just want to see something to back this up.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
reply to post by Nosred

Greek(New Testament)

Tartarus

[edit on 7/3/2010 by dalan.]

Tartarus is the place where Zeus threw the Titans after he and his brothers defeated them. It is a prison for the gods. If one was to make a biblical comparison, this would be the imprisonment of the fallen angels during the Deluge. If you read in the bible you will see that Tartarus makes no mention of torment or fire, just chains and dense darkness. It could be compared to the phantom zone.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I do agree that the church has used many fear tactics to get the faithfull to dance to there tune. Although I do believe that there is a seperation of God that is what we would call hell. Jesus talked of being sent to a place of weeping and nashing of teeth. He talked of going below before he could return after he was crucified then raised. I am sure that there has to be something to the seperation of souls. either souls that go with God or souls that God has cast out. I suppose we can never realy know until we cross over.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There's only one true hell and it's called Planet Earth. I sincerely doubt there's a place worse than this. If there is, then the creator of this reality is truly a basket case & well overdue for a padded cell & a strait jacket to go with it

Just one example: Plenty of adults & children have died in earthquakes after having had their heads crushed slowly by 10 tons of concrete, while crying out to god to save them. If that isn't hell I don't know what is.
Life on Earth isn't exactly a picnic.
Why people have to dream up such nonsense when the truth is staring them in the face is beyond me.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Hey guys,You should visit spiritlessons.com... and either read or download the pdf copy. What you learn from this may shock you.
Another thing that will astonish you is this:- www.nepalitimes.com... The buddahboy of nepal

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I see hell as a place void of God....Cold and dead....with no warmth, love or connection.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
First i am an atheist, so most of this sounds kind of silly, but i'll bite,

isn't hell a creation of god?

Satan would be an occupant or employee, yes?

Religion is just so silly.

Trying to make some anthropomorphic melodrama out of an indifferent & terrifyingly huge Universe.

Dante had hell populated with all of his enemies & competitors.

Compared to the abyss of reality, hell almost sounds cozy.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be funny or even ironic if it turns out that humanity itself is responsible for the way this world or reality is. According to quantum mechanics, there's a strong possibility that maybe that's exactly how things are. Reality is a manifestation of the human collective. Every human being on this Earth is responsible for the overall wellfare of the human race. If all the doom merchants on ATS are anything to go by, then we are all screwed.

www.amazon.com...

Between 1993 and 2000, a series of groundbreaking experiments revealed dramatic evidence of a web of energy that connects everything in our lives and our world—the Divine Matrix. From the healing of our bodies, to the success of our careers, relationships, and the peace between nations, this new evidence demonstrates that we each hold the power to speak directly to the force that links all of creation. What would it mean to discover that the power to create joy, to heal suffering, and bring peace to nations lives inside of you? How differently would you live if you knew how to use this power each day of your life? Join Gregg Braden on this extraordinary journey bridging science, spirituality and miracles through the language of The Divine Matrix.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
i was just reading somewhere, that people didnt even believe in hell until like 200 ad..some random catolic church just made it up

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I was thinking one day about Hell and I came to a conclusion that got me thinking. If Satan's ultimate goal is to tempt people into sin so they will go to Hell why does he punish the sinners? Wouldn't it be more intelligent to reward the sinners? He should know that the knowledge of Hell being a bad place might deter some would-be sinners. Why doesn't Lucifer make Hell a paradise?

First of all I would like to say that alot of you seem to be confused about the subject of hell. Alot of you seem to be going off topic and bringing in things that are based more on fanstasy and spiritual beliefs and mixing it up with a bunch of teachings from other "books" that contain alot of philosophy and mythologies. Lets start of with these basic questions thats been touched on throughout this thread: Is there such a place as hell? Yes. Do humans go to hell? Yes, and in the bible it states that your physical body and soul gets cast into hell. What is the original purpose of hell? To punish obviously but it was originaly meant for demons and the likes that rebel against the one almighty by there evil deeds that destroy the foundation of what they were created for; and that includes human beings also. This all might sound like a bunch of fairytale spew but this is reality, for example the holocaust, world wars, rape, pillage, nuclear warfare(hiroshima), etc. If hell is meant for demons then why do humans go to hell? Humans rebel against the almighty one to by causing destruction and just being pure evil in levels you will never know.
Now to answer the OP's questions about SATAN. First of all satan doesnt punish sinners. He causes anger, pain, grief, sorrow, destruction and the likes through sinners. Sinners reward themselves by whatever it is that they are trying to accomplish. Being that satan is the almighty influence of this planet in ways you couldnt understand and if you've lived life and noticed that; the only way to make it to the top is through some type of evil deed. As far as keeping people away from sinning with the knowledge of hell and what not is the whole debate that's been going on that cause war and conflict. The one sole instrument that satan uses to keep people from having faith and keep sinning is to convince the world that he doesnt and never existed and neither does heaven or hell and all the religious teachings and what not, and in stem causes division between science and religion; physical proof and faith; division amongst different religions and teachings that all ultimately lead to the same thing. The only people that know the existance of satan and religious matters and so forth are people in the upper echelon of society on this planet.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Sure, Greek is fine. I'm not saying I don't believe you I just want to see something to back this up.

Just wanted to drop in and let you know I haven't forgot about your request. Just haven't had the time to answer it properly, I'm off Tuesday.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

I agree with your statement that " People should read the BIBLE MORE! There would be so much less misunderstanding.

God created hell for Satan and the fallen angels as is noted in Revelations. Hell is the grave. Our soul goes back to God. Our body goes back to the earth. If one is 'saved' then Jesus keeps our soul while we sleep until His second coming.

Peace.
Grandma

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

Interesting, as I would suggest less reading more participating and independent thought.

Oh and Hell ? Hell is a life surrounded by unquestioning masses who are blinded by the light of the "truth" while never using the simplest question even a child comprehends.

"Why ?"

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Okay, sorry it's taken me this long to respond to your question. I work a great deal and this has taken me some time today on my day off to gather the verses for you. Let me first start off by showing the verses Jesus speaks of a literal, real, flaming Hell:

1. There are 162 references in the New Testament to a literal "Hell".

2. Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior spoke the most of any other Biblical person about Hell, there are 70 verses he discusses it. I'll share a few here:

"And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment." ~ Luke 16:22-28

In Matthew 13:42, Jesus says: "And shall cast them into a FURNACE OF FIRE: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

In Matthew 25:41, Jesus says: "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting FIRE,. . ."

Revelation 20:15 says, " And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the LAKE OF FIRE."

In Mark 9:46, Jesus Christ says about hell: "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

Revelation 14:10 says, " . . . and he shall be tormented with fire and BRIMSTONE (sulfur). . ."

The Bible describes it as weeping (Matt 8:12), wailing (Matt 13:42), gnashing of teeth (Matt 13:50), darkness (Matt 25:30), flames (Luke 16:24), burning (Isa 33:14), torments (Luke 16:23), everlasting punishment! Jesus Christ says in Matthew 25:41, "Depart from me, ye cursed, into EVERLASTING FIRE, prepared for the devil and his angels."

Rev. 14:11: "The smoke of their TORMENT ascendeth up for EVER AND EVER: and they have NO REST DAY NOR NIGHT."

everlasting fire — Matthew18:8, 25:41
everlasting punishment — Matthew 25:46
everlasting chains — Jude 1:6
eternal damnation — Mark 3:29
eternal judgment — Hebrews 6:2
eternal fire — Jude 1:7
unquenchable fire — Matthew 3:12
the fire that never shall be quenched — Mark 9:43, 44, 45, 46, 48
fire unquenchable — Luke 3:17
mist of darkness is reserved for ever — 2 Peter 2:17
the blackness of darkness for ever — Jude 1:13

"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:" Mark 9:43-47

Jesus Christ describes "HELL" as:

"fire" ~ Matt 7:19, 13:40, 25:41
"everlasting fire" ~ Matt 18:8, 25:41
"eternal damnation" ~ Mark 3:29
"hell fire" ~ Matt 5:22, 18:9, Mark 9:47
"damnation" ~ Matt 23:14, Mark 12:40, Luke 20:47
"damnation of hell" ~ Matt 23:33
"resurrection of damnation" ~ John 5:29
"furnace of fire" ~ Matt 13:42, 50
"the fire that never shall be quenched" ~ Mark 9:43, 45
"the fire is not quenched" ~ Mark 9:44, 46, 48
"Where their worm dieth not" ~ Mark 9:44, 46, 48
"wailing and gnashing of teeth" ~ Matt 13:42, 50
"weeping and gnashing of teeth" ~ Matt 8:12, 22:13, 25:30
"torments" ~ Luke 16:23
"tormented in this flame" ~ Luke 16:24
"place of torment" ~ Luke 16:28
"outer darkness" ~ Matt 8:12, 22:13
"everlasting punishment" ~ Matt 25:46

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

No flipping Florida is, just look at the effing temperature the fact that old fogeys come here to die and complain constantly until they do, and well, if you're american, screw you you aint getting a job!!! NO WAY JOSE!!!! So I would say Florida has HELL beat by a damn thousand miles!!!! Here I am at well past midnight dripping, pouring effing sheets of sweat because it will not cool down, hmmmm sounds like hell to me... no air conditioner, cause hell I can't fix it and my OWNER decided he doesn't want to, so I would say hell, I am there

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join