It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Hell really a place of torture?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Another aspect of the hell topic that I never understood is how it pertains to those who are never exposed to Christianity. Because Christianity believes that it is right and all other belief systems are wrong, is it not unfair to judge those who, for some reason, do not learn of it's teachings prior to their death? My understanding is that those people are supposed to be sent to hell simply because they never accepted Christ during their lives nor did they worship the God of the Bible. To me that seems incredibly unjust. What kind of all-loving, fair, all-knowing, all-powerful deity feels it is necessary to punish those unfortunate people whom he scattered around the planet?

My view of hell, which seems to agree with what my wife is learning, is that it is a carefully manufactured product, created by humans at some point, with the sole purpose of being used to intimidate people into buying into the Christian religion. I feel that such a gross mistranslation and propagation of a critical aspect of the Bible can serve no other purpose. It is as though the men and women who put the word and concept of hell into the Bible saw an opportunity. Sounds an awful lot like politicians and powerful people of our day, doesn't it? Those are the kinds of people who, regardless of the day in which they live, are needy, selfish, manipulative, and hell-bent (no pun intended) on controlling others for their own gain. They are evil. How ironic.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Satan doesn't torture anyone in hell, people are quite skilled at torturing themselves.

Some of the best Hell Real descriptions I've read come from Emmanuel Swedenborg (1688-1772), a scientist turned mystic who visited heaven and hell in hypnogogic and dream states, and documented his experiences in several books. He wrote "God does not cast anyone into hell. It's the people who turn their backs on him and gladly cast themselvesinto the abyss"
(not an exact quote, but that's the gist of it)

His writings had a heavy religious slant, but over the years, many other people have described hell realms from their dreams that match his descriptions. I myself have been there, and while I don't agree with Swedenborg's religious angle, the similarities were pretty striking.

It's my belief that hell realms are a form of dreamscape combined with a circular logic that traps a person in a negative scenario depending on their bent of character.

First you need to understand how dreams work, and that everything in a dream is an archetype. An archetype is an idea or concept with a series of associations that define it. Each of these associations lead to other archetypes, each with their own series of associations leading to yet more archetypes. The sum of your persona archetypes is like a densely interconnected neural network, and this is the true landscape we travel on in dreams.

Focusing on an archetype in dreams causes random associations to manifest until one of those new manifestations captures your attention. Then you focus on the new archetype, causing it's associations to manifest randomly, until one of those new manifestations captures your attention... This happens over and over. Similar to the quantum concept of collapsing a waveform. The archetype being the wave form portion, and the manifested association taken by that archetype being the solid particle portion.

Some archetypes are more developed than others, possessing more associations, meaning you have a better understanding of that concept, which provides a large variety of paths to take. But other archetypes are not so well developed, having fewer associations, thus few possible paths to take. A hell realm is just a cluster of negative archetypes that lead back to each other, with few options that lead you out of that cluster.

Anger associates with hate, which associates with violence, which associates with pain. All those things associate with each other, creating a closed circuit which only contains paths leading back to that particular cluster with very few paths or associations leading out. A hellish trap of circular logic that once you fall into it, it's very hard to find your way out again.

We are each of us constantly adding new associations to our own personal archetypes through our personal experiences, and also what we choose to focus on. If you spend your days being angry all the time like I was, you are building your own personal hell. The idea of "turning the other cheek", when practiced in real life situations is actually forging a new archetypal association, a clear path out that stops you from becoming trapped in a web of violence.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Hey fellas,
This is my second post so if i make any faupa’s other than my spelling and syntax please forgive me but comprehensive/state education has a lot to answer for, anyways heres a few of my own thoughts on heaven and hell.

When a person dies and sheds his mortal self i feel that they become suddenly aware of all they have done in their lives, they have shed the ability to forget which is a clever brain trick and their consciousness/spirit goes through a sort of re moulding or combination of conscious and sub conscious and we remember everything even the way we have treated our fellow biological experiencers with that being said we then do one of two things we feel remorse and grow or we feel true horror and run.

But where can we run to ? we avoid the light and our responsibilities so i believe that the creator in its infinite wisdom gave a person the choice to run from the light and hide in the shadows or the dark place as i like to call it much like a child will run from a parent sometimes as its being chastised and corrected by a caregiver.

So for me hell is somewhat self imposed, a dark and hateful place full of bitter and angry souls that are racked with an enlightened guilt of their crimes against their fellow human beings but always having the chance to be able to redeem themselves like the proverbial prodigal child in the same way any parent would wish their child to grow and learn from their mistakes or evil doing our creator leaves us also with a wide variety of options to choose from.

Now should we sit there after our death and really learn from our stupidity/evil doings and thoughtless mistakes then i feel we may just move on to the so called heavens and continue to grow further in whatever which way we are meant to in a world/dimension we know little about as yet, just a few thoughts here hope they are ok

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

I believe there is no reward because Lu truly "HATES" humans..

I read a book about a woman taken to hell by Jesus, and he wanted her to witness and share with others what she witnessed. It was very gruesome to say the least. But there was one particular story about a man who was being severely tortured and this woman asked Jesus why is this man tortured more than the others? He said cause he was once a priest but lost his way, and he is hated more because he was once close to God... There was a lot of crying, screeching and agony.

If you ask why didn't Jesus help the tortured? The book explains it... the visiting woman asked the same question... she was among the crying because of what she witnessed.

Yep, I would have to conclude that Lu doesn't want his collection to have one iota of happiness...so no Paradise in that direction..

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Is Hell really a place of torture

Yes hell really is a place of torture.

But it is not a place that people go after the death of the physical body.

It exists after the annihilation of the consciousness of the "self" and the 'thinker'. That is, the 3-dimensional 'curved' space 'fallen' consciousness is reversed in time and collapses back into only 2-dimensions.

In the opening passages of the Second Meditation, Descartes sticks his baby toe into hell and withdraws in terror, postulating the "beast of the earth" consciousness of the 'thinker'; which then becomes the manifestation of evil in the 3-dimensional 'curved' space reality.

Michael Cecil

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I find the whole idea of hell illogical.

Is there really a sin that warrants suffering for ever?

Isn't God supposed to be forgiving? A punishment in my opinion is somthing you learn your lesson from ie don't do the crime/sin again.

just some thoughts

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jickler
I find the whole idea of hell illogical.

Is there really a sin that warrants suffering for ever?

Isn't God supposed to be forgiving? A punishment in my opinion is somthing you learn your lesson from ie don't do the crime/sin again.

just some thoughts
God is eternal and perfect. Therefore separation from Him is eternal as well.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Shh don't let the public know!! Its the conspiracy the bible doesn't want you to find out... Now quick hide before the inquisition burns you at the stake for heresy. Distract them with the ultimate question. Can god make a rock so big he can't lift it?

Its my belief that hell is just another realm where instead of the Gods utopia its a different kind. One where your allowed to have sex, drink, party and just do what you want, no rules in hell, just chaos. I'd take that over Heaven any day. I like a bit of chaos to keep things interesting.

EDIT:For grammar and a missing sentence...

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Xiamara]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
What if hell is actually earth?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i dunno, but i'm sure they have cold beer.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If it comes down to burning in Hell for eternity or worshipping a megalomaniac that would create such a place, I know exactly what my choice will be.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
There is no Hell, the clergy of Christendom invented it from the bible description of Gehenna. This was done to scare and control the masses. Christians who know and understand the bible have been saying this since the 1700's. Once people could read the bible they began to figure out that the church had lied to them for eons. That's why they didn't want people reading the bible when Tyndale translated it to the common tongue.

Now to address the 144,000. They are a very special group of Christians that include jews and gentiles. They began to be chosen at Pentecost after Jesus died and went back to heaven. They continued to be chosen until today. Some have been chosen from every century, but numerically the most were chosen in the first century. Numerically sincere Christians from 18th,19th & early 20th century make up the balance. It is possible the God has even chosen a few from our current century but if so the numbers are minuscule by comparison. Also they are not physical virgins, they are spiritual virgins from God's perspective, some even burned at the stake for taking a stand for truth against the evil clergy of the dark ages.

So you may ask were does that send the rest of the good and meek Christians.

Psalms says they inherit the earth. So that's my personal hope

Except for the 144,000, when people die, from God's perspective there soul is just sleeping,
and his purpose is to wake them all up, when this world is ruled by his son and not Satan.
When Lazarus physically died, Jesus said he was just sleeping, because that's how God and Jesus view human death right now, because it is reversible.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Please watch "23 Minutes in Hell". You can easily find it on the internet. What this guy describes is truly horrific. One of the main things you suffer is being killed repeatedly in your physical body, but you don't die, you suffer the pain of dying over and over and over.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Did you know that you can google photographs of several of the biblical hells? Gehenna and the valley of Hinnon. Sheol is the grave and is therefore a non-specific location. Tartarus is the underworld is a commune of the living dead. Mythology.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan
If it comes down to burning in Hell for eternity or worshipping a megalomaniac that would create such a place, I know exactly what my choice will be.

DUMB. First off, Hell was created for Satan and his demons, not us. If you want to hold on to his tail and let him lead you there with him that's all on you.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I was taught that hell is a burning lake of fire for Satan and all those who follow him.

What else would you do with an enemy that was defeated but cannot die?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
On the TV series "Reaper", the DMV was a portal to hell

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by weaverre

I once had a very similar thought.

I don't quite know what I believe, but I do like to speculate, and here's something I once came up with.

Everybody, absolutely everybody, gains absolute knowledge when they die. They know all.

But by "knowledge" these days we often think of it as intellectual knowledge, the sort of thing you can write in a book. But there is also experiential knowledge. If you know how to ride a bike, all the intricacies of the balance are not something you can learn in a book. They are something you must experience in order to learn.

Thus, if when you die you know everything, that means when you die you experience everything.

This means that a man like Hitler literally experiences the suffering of each and every concentration camp victim at his hands, as well as to a large degree the sufferings of all the soldiers in the war, and also knows exactly his own responsibility in causing this.

In the same way we would all experience in a very personal way the pain we've caused all other people in our lives.

But time heals all wounds, so maybe eventually all are saved. But they must first experience their karma. For some (political leaders mainly) this will take a very long amount of subjective time and involve a lot of pain. They must learn precisely what they have done. But once they have learned, truly deeply learned, they can be free.

Who knows? This came straight out of my ass.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well that is either the case. Or God is a liar. Jesus Christ is a liar. The Prophets are all liars. The Bible is the biggest book of lies anyone could ever dream up. Comes down to what you prefer really. As far as this life goes anyway. If your interested in what the one truth really is. Hell is a
place for the damned. It is where the wicked go. It is where the wicked belong.
How do I know this is the one truth.?
Because God is not a liar. Jesus Christ is not a liar. The Prophets were not liars.
The Bible is a living thing because of the truth with-in it. Still it's what ever you want it to be. Your preference.

I think a good thing to always keep in mind. Every minute of the day if you can.
Given enough rope, anyone can hang themself.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
no, hell is not a physical place of torture, heaven and hell are in the mind. Either you understand the true nature of the mind or you are attached only to materialism, which is a type of physical hell, but the mind does not completely forget its origin, which can always return to the primary source through knowledge of the supreme.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join