It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheists Nightmare

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
I can certainly imagine myself, after death, resting peacefully in my grave, with nothing to ever come and bother me.

...how often do you imagine yourself as a corpse?...

...do you ever imagine the clever little buggies that'll munch you right down to the bone?...

The thing I can't imagine and am glad I will never have to... Would be if I was suddenly awakened from that eternal sleep, by the deafing sound of trumpets blaring loud enough to wake the dead.

...you say you cant imagine this junk, then you write a little tale about it - funny - but not as funny as you imagining that you can hear with ears that have either fallen off or have been turned into bug poop...

The thing I find so ironic about Atheism, is that it is also is a part of prophecy. You literally are predicted as a great falling away.

...humans existed long before any religion or concept of a human-like-god (which yours is)... prophecy / predictions are about future events, therefore, the falling away inference cant be about atheists because we were here first... also, the inference cant be about us because we would have to be part of the whole to fall away from it... the inference is about god-believers who decided they didnt want to be dictated to by politics posing as religion...

So what all can you tell me?

...its not rocket science but i'm sure it seems that way to someone who believes his ears will be capable of receiving sound after death, lol...

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The only thing I don't understand is why are all these atheists in this thread in the first place defending their stance and trying to attack religion? Do we really need to go through this every time? Is it really that important to attack somebody else and try to debate them? Is it a pride thing or is everybody really just looking for a fight? Anytime somebody tries to come at my atheistic points of view I simply recite one of my favorite quotes from the philosopher Stephen Henry Roberts and walk away:

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

reply to post by Bobbox1980

If an all knowing all powerful god does exist and he wants to send me to hell for not believing in him because I had no proof then so be it, I would rather not be in heaven anyway

In all fairness posts like yours are a joke. They're really nothing.
This isn't preaching friend, it is a thread where these types of threads go.
So try to stay in context or don't reply. You do have a choice.

Ohhh, I see. Agree with you, dance around said agreement with you pretending to have a debate about something no one can ever prove, or else gtfo!

You asked questions. His reply was an answer. You don't like it

Yet the other people posting nothing but bible quotes offer something of value I gather.

Turn or Burn non believers. Or just dont say nuffink!!!1

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Atheist and Christian nightmare:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Before religion everyone was an atheist.

I think you have it around the wrong way my friend.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Interesting posts!!

It can be quite annoying when you get religious people constantly telling others what they should or should not believe. Every individual is responsible for her/his soul … so please stop trying to scare people into believing something that may or may not exist. Who knows what happens after death ... not a single soul in the entire universe has the answer!
Throughout history religions have been the worst plagues for humanity. They have caused countless deaths and untold suffering through the ages. I can't believe anyone is still following organized 'religion'.
Archeology has done much to enlighten history with new finds and translations but religions don't want to listen because they just may have to change!!
Go out and get some books … research the internet …. You just may learn something new and exciting

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
The live show that showed an image of a ghost (possibly of Michael Jackson) would be a good example of reliable footage. If this footage is real, as it appears to be, then there are ghosts.

If there are ghosts, does it follow that the unseen world probably has order and direction as does the seen world? If that logically follows, then perhaps there is good and evil.

If there is this good and evil, for whatever belief system you may attach, then there may be some accountability after death.

If you are an atheist, and you ignore these evidences, perhaps you do so at your own peril.

Is that wise? Just asking...

[edit on 7/4/2010 by Jim Scott]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

I like the quote you gave. It is so true. I am not an atheist but I don't beleive in any of the secular religions per se. I beleive there is something but it is not a conscious being that we can comprehend the way religious books want us too. Even atheists beleive in something but religious folk just say atheists beleive in nothing cause they can't understand anything outside their indoctrination. I'm trying not to be rude or attack religious people its just that if you are raised in a cave it is hard to conceive anything outside the cave. Religions personify god and to me they fail right there as god is not a person.

Also I see it to be futile discussing what happens in the afterlife when we must admit we know little about life itself and its various scopes and dimensions. Religion is a form of social control, I laugh when I see people quote from Romans especially. Isn't it in Romans where they tell you to obey your government cause it is divine or something. Feel free to correct me on that (Romans 13 I think it is).

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Would then the Christian nightmare be dying, and returning to consciousness in the asphodel meadows, forever eating flowers and drinking of the waters of the Lethe?

Or perhaps you shall simple rise in Hel, living forever within the misty ground along with those of your family who have died before you?

Personally, I figure I'll end up in Tuonela. It'll be boring, but that still beats the idea of eternal worship at the feet of a Semitic tent-god

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Here to all watch the Amazing Atheist ! For Those that need some Challenging he may be strange at time's ( who isnt ) but he puts a hit & slap to the believers
WARNING for the NEO-CONS Adult Language and your Blasphemy

Arguments For God: The Cosmological Argument

Atheism Vs. Skepticism

Jesus Miracles Fail

Jesus vs Santa ( Trends )

DO you want more ? look at the HIS You Tube Channel below
The Channel
www.youtube.com...

I liked this signature from a ATS Member

Most people believe that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father
can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh (sacrificial cannibalism ) and
telepathically tell him you accept him as your master,
so he can remove an evil force from your soul (Sins) that is present
in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to
eat from a magical tree.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by Wolfenz] for the signature Quote from a ATS member

[edit on 4-7-2010 by Wolfenz]

[edit on 4-7-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
About the ghost thing, cool that you saw one Muzzleflash, but they dont prove an afterlife.

You see, ghosts might not be what everyone thinks they are, aka a dead person. They could just as easily be evidence of a time slip. When you see a ghost, youre could actually be glimpsing that person in the time that they were alive. Same could be said for seeing aliens, could be that what we are seeing is people from the future.

Nobody can really know for sure.

Anyway before I go too far off topic I had better answer the original OP
question. I am not religious (can't stand religion) but I think there may be something up there that could be a God. Im not dismissing the possibility. But as for what happens when we die, I really dont know and I dont think anyone else can know either.

Hmmm. not one of my more helpful posts maybe

Edited to try and fix stupid color formatting and gave up

[edit on 4-7-2010 by tappy]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

what evidence do you have that you have chosen to believe in the correct god

PS god told me or the bible says so are circular arguments - so please try actual evidence

and lastly - faith ? its just that

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Atheism is not a religion. So stop while you're ahead. Please don't use any book of size, color or form to try to scare people to convert to whatever religious belief you follow.

Really? Atheism answers the big 5, and is defended with much religious zeal

What am I?: A more highly evolved animal

Where did I come from? An explosion of nothing, billions of years ago

What purpose do I serve? None, you're just a result of random coincidences

How do I judge right from wrong? It's all up to you because there is no absolute standard, it can change given the time or place you are living, or how you are feeling at the time

Where do I go when I die? No where

If it looks like a duck, and sounds like one...
(it's a duck, I felt that I should give the answer because some that subscribe to the atheist faith will argue that it could be an undiscovered duck like transitional form, or an alien that created ducks etc.)

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Are you people just not into self preservation or what?
I can certainly imagine myself, after death, resting
peacefully in my grave, with nothing to ever come and
bother me. Even after a lifetime of belief in God.

The thing I can't imagine and am glad I will never have to...
Would be if I was suddenly awakened from that eternal sleep,
by the deafing sound of trumpets blaring loud enough to wake the dead.
Then as an Angel is rushing by my comfortable grave, he pauses and points
the way to Judgement day.
This after a long life denying God because I was duped by a fad. Atheism.
The fool says," there is no God" then comes death. then judgement.

The thing I find so ironic about Atheism, is that it is also is a part of prophecy.
You literally are predicted as a great falling away.
If it weren't for Atheism the Bible might be in error.
God fortold of the day when arrogant men would scough at
God fearing people.
So what all can you tell me?
Maybe death dosn't exist either?

One thing that can't be argued, we are all intelligent enough that we should have
it sorted out by the time we do sleep. So start off with the truth that everyone knows ( There is only one truth) and check yourself, before you wreck yourself.
Your life is literally in your hands.

Strange thread. But I'll have a go.
You think that theism is more logical than atheism? Or, as previously said, do you just want to believe in case there is god, just to be sure?
In my opinion, atheism is generally a more logical choice than believing in God. That is because I think the Bible is created to tame people, to lead them by mongering fear (sounds familiar). Even although it's intentions were initially benevolent. What did we know 2k years ago? Not too much, really. These days, I find it a bit 'old-fashioned' to believe in a God as the Bible describes (or prescribes, depending on your perception). Therefore, you can add numerous arguments to convince us to believe, or show us the advantages of believing, but you're just reasoning from a very ancient perspective. Therefore, I find it naive to follow a religion. Ultimately, your talk about judgement day etcetera is totally not logical and thus irrelevant in my opinion.

Disclaimer: I am not an atheist, neither religious. Yeah, ain't that a bitch

[edit on 4-7-2010 by -Thom-]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

"For since by man [came] death, by man [came] also the resurrection of the dead." (1 Corinthians 15:21)

"For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." (1 Corinthians 15:22)

"But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming." (1 Corinthians 15:23)

"Then [cometh] the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power." (1 Corinthians 15:24)

"For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet." (1 Corinthians 15:25)

"The last enemy [that] shall be destroyed [is] death." (1 Corinthians 15:26)

I think I'll let the Word of God speak for itself. Remember!

"And ye shall be hated of all [men] for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." (Matthew 10:22)

"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [it hated] you. (John 15:18)

Hang in there brother. There may be one left who will believe!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kingofmd

That's called evolution...check it out, it's got a whole lot more proof than any religion.

That's got nothing to do with atheism. Atheists say there is no good, agnostics say they just don't know. They don't claim to KNOW how the universe came to be. There's a lot of evidence for a big bang theory, even if we can't explain what happened in the first split seconds of the process. Definitely more evidence than for whatever creationists believe

Wow, so only religious people (Christians only too, right?) have a purpose in life? How self-rightuous of you!!

How do I judge right from wrong? It's all up to you because there is no absolute standard, it can change given the time or place you are living, or how you are feeling at the time

How about laws and social morale? Given that there's plenty of good people that aren't Christian (yeah, you heard right, there's good non-Christians not committing any crimes). Given that they can judge right from wrong clearly proves that being Christian isn't a requirement to judge right from wrong...

Fact is, NO ONE knows!! So whatever an atheists says is pointless (unless he says "I dunno") just like everything a Christian preacher says. No one can prove anything, so you saying you're going to heaven isn't really all that clever...

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Oh, another thing. If God exists and judges us after death, It would be absolutely immoral. Why? Because mankind evolves and learns. We are getting wiser. Why would it be logical to follow a very ancient book that is manipulated many times? Logic dictates us that it is foolish to do so, even if God wanted us to. Logic is a human aspect, and our sense of logic is a part of the beings we are. If God created us, he would, or could, foresee this sense of logic, and can therefore be held responsible for this (unless he wouldn't want us to develop a thorough sense of logic, which makes this God an evil one).
So, if a person desides to be an atheist/agnost/other, how can that person be blamed, let alone be judged? that is also one of the reasons I do not believe in a Hell as the Bible describes it.

So, I find the opening post highly ignorant and illogical.

Now, where can I deposit my two eurocents?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
"He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still." (Revelation 22:11)

Maybe we all need to just be still! He/She who wants to be a believer, be a believer still. He/She who wants to be an unbeliever, be an unbeliever still.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Oooooo Fire and brimstone..... Grrrrrrrr afterlife,god......... If you don't you'll rot in hell..... aaaarrrrgghhhhh judgement day!!!!!

Sorry..... WHO has been duped???

And Atheism is a fad?

Religion is a mind control experiment on steroids.

What an absolutely ridiculously ignorant OP.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd

Atheism answers the big 5, and is defended with much religious zeal

" Atheism answers the big 5 "

It does no such thing . Atheism is simply an absence of belief in the existence of god(s).

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join