It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheists Nightmare

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Some people need a deity to have principles...Some people simply dont.

Plato...or was is socrates...well, one of those ancient philosophers (will look up the quote later) said that a strong government does not need a religion, but a weaker government requires religion to also keep the people in check..it really comes down to the education level of the people.

Older societys had to keep the peasents in line by saying if they do lots of good work and not complain/murder/fight back against the tyranny, they would get candy and rainbows in heaven...as society becomes more fair and just, it allows government not to give the candy and rainbow speeches to the people..let them find happiness in life verses suck it up and deal with it and get your 72 virgins after its over kinda thing.

Religion still is helpful for the poor and unfortunate in society to hope for some sort of justification towards their pain and are spiritually inept enough not to have much introspection. Religion for the thinking man whom accepts his dynamic in the universe is redundant and tends to get in the way of spiritual understanding overall.

Religion is the control put on the ignorant and idiotic in society, Personal spirituality and principles is for the thinking man, the evolved.

Just the way a true God would want it I guess

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I don't know if you've seen them or not, but I don't know how anyone could watch the Stargate series (SG1 and Atlantis) without recognizing how religion, false gods and the threat of danger of non-compliance, are just tools used by a ruling body to keep the people in line.

But I do know how scary it is to let go of religion or belief in gods. When I think of what I was taught my whole life about religion, and remember my mind having doubts and asking questions, I remember how scary it was! All the "what ifs"... It's enough to make a person hang on to religion, even though the belief is gone!

I think religion serves a purpose in some people's lives. The comfort of prayer, turning issues over to a higher power, asking for God's will to be done, the structure of a belief system... these mental exercises can take a lot of pressure off of a person. But I have found that it's actually MUCH less stressful to handle things myself instead of thinking that someone else is taking care of things.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
Atheism answers the big 5, and is defended with much religious zeal

What am I?: A more highly evolved animal

Where did I come from? An explosion of nothing, billions of years ago

What purpose do I serve? None, you're just a result of random coincidences

How do I judge right from wrong? It's all up to you because there is no absolute standard, it can change given the time or place you are living, or how you are feeling at the time

Where do I go when I die? No where

You are incorrect.
There is only ONE question that atheists answer in agreement:

Question: Do you believe in a deity?
Answer: No.

All those other questions will have different answers, depending on the individual person's belief system.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
god does not exist because he is a paradox by definition.

if he is all loving and all good he would have not have made me an atheist just so he could send me to his hell for torture.

there is nothing good about this. unless you people by some twisted logic find this gruesome torture to be an act of kindness and goodness. then you are as sick and twisted as your imagined gods.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You are speaking of a God outside of our selves. Something separate and something to fear.

As a long time athiest, I can tell you that one of the reasons for our decision is due to the lame excuses for choices that we have when it comes to this topic.

Athiests know deep within that each is his own God, so no need to believe in an external source for comfort and guidance.

You are God, I am God, we are ONE. We are co-creating this dance of life for the pure experience of it. We planned it, we are playing it.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You have to chuckle at these people who believe they found the right religion. They're the winners, they were born into the right culture, they are the only ones going to "heaven". That kid born in the countryside of China with no access to Christianity ... going to hell. The child born in India, raised as a Hindu .. hell. There is nobody more full of sh1t than a religious person who insists that their set of beliefs trumps all religions.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

why do you guys get mad at us here on Earth?

K. I really want to respond to this. I'm not mad at anyone, not by a far cry.
Pull me thru the mud . Make a monster out of me if you will. I'm not going to take one bit of it to heart. I can't be insulted here. That would just be weak. All I have stated is everything I believe and not in the hope's that anyone would hate me for it. Certainly not. I'm a person of truth and I only
speak what I know that truth to be. Forgive me if it offends anyone but I
have to get the one truth I hold dear out there for all to see .
Because I have to be able to speak from that truth without any inhabitions.

I believe in the truth.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
Really? Atheism answers the big 5, and is defended with much religious zeal

What am I?: A more highly evolved animal

Where did I come from? An explosion of nothing, billions of years ago

What purpose do I serve? None, you're just a result of random coincidences

How do I judge right from wrong? It's all up to you because there is no absolute standard, it can change given the time or place you are living, or how you are feeling at the time

Where do I go when I die? No where

What am I ?
You are a human, silly.
Yes we are just another animal. Yes we evolved.

Where did I come from ?
We got a "explosion of nothing"
you got #ing magic. lol seriously don't judge. Oh yeah! We got this kind of stuff too.
www.talkorigins.org...

What purpose do I serve ?
Why do I need some lifelong purpose ? I do things for purpose, I eat pizza because I am hungry, I am kind to people because I want them to be kind to me, I sleep 8 hours a night so I am full of energy when I wake.

No, my purpose is not to serve a asshole god that no one cannot even prove exists ?

How do I judge right from wrong?
This is the stupidest argument ever. We do not get our morals from the bible. I could explain to you the evolutionary benefits of a kind society that works well together, but I would be waisting my time.

The bible is full of murder, rape, genocide, and throwing rocks at people for retarded reasons. You are cherry picking the few "good" part from the bible and claiming we get all our morals from it. This is a joke.

Where do I go when I die?
This is why it important to me to live my life how I want.
There is no second chance there is no afterlife, why waste my life believing in unbelievable stories, particularly when the truth is far more interesting

Whats your answer to any of these ?
#ing magic.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by nophun]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Randy, good try but it won't work. You can show them that prophesy is really coming true all around us. You can show testimony of How Jesus has changed millions of lives. You can show evidence of the validity of the Bible's creation account and its long history. But these people will refuse right to the end to even examine it for themselves. It's not like it isn't obvious, it's just very frightening to have to admit you might be wrong. I have spent years as a militant athiest until I actually looked at both sides.

Here is how it goes...If you want to prove God, all of your arguments and evidence is flawed because you are bias, they say. If you want to prove that God doesnt exist people will except anything you say(and may even fund your research)

All we can do is continue to run the race. We can plant seeds on the way, but God chooses which ones will grow. In the gospel, it wasn't the apostles brilliant logic that made them recognize Jesus as God, it was the Holy Spirit.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilw85
You can show evidence of the validity of the Bible's creation account and its long history.

Show us! We are listening!
Prove #ing magic, right here right now.

Seriously you prove any creation myth (including the one in the holy bible) you are going to win a Nobel Prize.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Randy, good try but it won't work. You can show them that prophesy is really coming true all around us. You can show testimony of How Jesus has changed millions of lives. You can show evidence of the validity of the Bible's creation account and its long history. But these people will refuse right to the end to even examine it for themselves. It's not like it isn't obvious, it's just very frightening to have to admit you might be wrong. I have spent years as a militant athiest until I actually looked at both sides.
reply to post by Bilw85

So right.I know. I'm just glad for this oportunity to get my truth out there
and have it seen. I mean it's very important to me to have done at least that with this lousy life of mine.

Everyone thinks arrogance, it's really atonement.
I've led a horrible life really and it's hard to even admit.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Wonder if there's such thing as a christian who can prove god exists without the need to patronise or quote from the bible?

Anyone?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Wonder if there's such thing as a christian who can prove god exists without the need to patronise or quote from the bible?

Anyone?

No. No christian, including myself would ever be able to convince you otherwise. You certainly will not find any grand revelation of God on a conspiracy website. This just provides some great entertainment here. Carry on folks!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
greetings & salutations.

nophun,
I'm borrowing your signature to give it to the op:

(A- maybe)

i haven't read throught the entire thread, first page & last two.

here are some thoughts i share about the op.
again, haven't read through the entire thread. shoot me.
me

Originally posted by randyvs

Are you people just not into self preservation or what?

i don't think this question pertains to me. so i pass.

I can certainly imagine myself, after death, resting
peacefully in my grave, with nothing to ever come and
bother me. Even after a lifetime of belief in God.

rumor has it the dead will rise from their graves. Certainly, surely, that can't really happen.

This after a long life denying God because I was duped by a fad. Atheism.
The fool says," there is no God" then comes death. then judgement.

which is better and which is worse:
best worst case scenario
or
worst best case scenario

If it weren't for Atheism the Bible might be in error.

i really liked what you said here.

God fortold of the day when arrogant men would scough at
God fearing people.

"FEAR" GOD? I'm not convinced god wants to be feared.

So what all can you tell me?
Maybe death dosn't exist either?

Poetry

Forgive us if it is your soul we coax
We are pretty sure death is a hoax

Firefighters cannot forget, we shall always remember
What happened to us on the eleventh of september

...So start off with the truth that everyone knows ( There is only one truth) and check yourself, before you wreck yourself.
Your life is literally in your hands.

not sure if there is only one truth. that poor lonely truth, and with everyone allegedly suppose to be a truth fearing soul, who would want the truth to be more than just alone?

truth is in my hands? ok, who am i to call you a liar?

letters are dealt to me. I can hold those cards (Letters) any way i choose. There is no law stating that i cannot hold them in my hands however i so choose....

I'm Star Trek Capt.
do i have or need your permission to turn that "m" upside down and re-arrange the letters? literacy is more than left to right. someone lied.
Patrick Stewart

Go Spell
Gospel

Atheist
At heist

But who am i & what do i know?

thanks,
ET

[edit on 4-7-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
One can say that according to statistics there is everything to win in believing gods exist and nothing to loose in case there is no god. Furthermore it gives your life a meaning(release all your worldly attachments and become a free man) and a positive outlook.

Anyway, all prophets got it right when they said that at the end of times "no" people will believe in gods, promiscuity, self-love, fame, gain and other attachments will flourish. Well, is it not exactly where we are today?

Nostradamus said 2019 was the year I believe. And 1999 was the start of the 20 year prophesiced persecution of Falun Gong(the way forward). We are following the cosmic schedule and too few people realize anything before it all happens.

Anyway, is this not all predestined? He who wakes up in time is supposed to wake up.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Religions always arise and then fade away.

Atheism has always existed and always will.

Tell me again what the fad is?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gaussq
One can say that according to statistics there is everything to win in believing gods exist and nothing to loose in case there is no god. Furthermore it gives your life a meaning(release all your worldly attachments and become a free man) and a positive outlook.

We can do that too.

"Suppose we grant that there is indeed some small chance that God exists. Nevertheless, it could be said that you will lead a better, fuller life if you bet on his not existing, than if you bet on his existing and therefore squander your precious time on worshipping him, sacrificing to him, fighting and dying for him, etc." - Richard Dawkins

Pascal's Wager is silly.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_Wager#Criticisms

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Atheists don't have a nightmare. But if there was something that'd affect their world perspective it'd be the revelation that the Tooth Fairy or Father Christmas was real.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
There is plenty of evidence of the afterlife. Do a thorough study of Near Death Experiences.

People experiencing the process of real death have later reported the events in detail. They can give complete descriptions of the surroundings while they were unconscious - things they could not have known. Live witnesses of the events are amazed at the stories.

Take some time to do an unbiased study. Of course you can choose to deny this EVIDENCE.

My father told me his story and I believe it. But I already believed in the afterlife before he told me his story.

Peace

ETA some evidence of the Bible Sodom and Gomorrah

[edit on 4-7-2010 by FearNoEvil]

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join