It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheists Nightmare

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Originally posted by PsychoX42
reply to post by hippomchippo

You must have missed the point youngster.

What point?
And please don't try to call me a youngster, it's quite demeaning.
Your "point" was that scientific theories apparantly were just as valid as the belief in god or an afterlife, which is not true at all.
Scientific theories have been proven in labs, and have massive amounts of evidence from the brightest minds of our entire species.
There's a huge difference between a scientific theory and belief in an afterlife or god, which has nothing but anecdotal evidence which is essentially worthless in proving something.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by hippomchippo]

The point being not to be confined by the slow progression of modern science.

I thought that the statement was loud and clear, but, some are slower than others.

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by PsychoX42

Heh, if you only go with your imagination, you are IMAGINING things...making them up

Which means you have to call whatever you make up a "hypothesis". Technically, all religions should be called "hypothesis"...but if you call it that, people will call you "intolerant"

Yeah, Imagination was only responsible for the entire society in which you take advantage of and also take for granted.

In order for it to be real, someone had to conceive it!!!

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Is that how it works with gods?

Or are we getting into a different topic altogether?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

There's not really that much evidence for anything...now is there? Isn't that the reason why we call everything that we think that we know, a theory?

As usual, someone has to show their ignornance over the use of the word theory

A scientific theory is the best explanation of observed data and one which, by definition, can be falsified - ie it makes assumptions which can be proven wrong. Often, a scientific theory will be changed or even rejected as new data comes to like. A theory which is not falsified remains a theory for the rest of time.

This statement is an excellent example of one who cannot understand the overall message and finds themselves locked in a box trying to argue over details regarding the current theories and statistical evidence.

You're still in that box. But, I understand, the majority of people are.

Namaste and Love

You've said that three times now.
Why not tell us what the point is then?
Instead of dancing around the issue?

Three times obviously wasn't enough.

Lets go for the point...again.

The point was, not to be confined by the slow progression of modern science. If you allow yourself to be caged by discoveries made by others, you may be stunting yourself.

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Is that how it works with gods?

Or are we getting into a different topic altogether?

Let me ask you something. YOu know when you drive on the road and you stop at a stoplight, did the stoplight just appear one day? Did it make itself? Nope. It was invented from someone's "imagination."

The road that you drive...did the road just manifest itself? Nope, someone imagined that it would be a good idea to have pavement and concrete give us clear borders to drive on. That also came from someone's imagination.

The house that you live in. Did a God conceive it? Nope. A person did. In their imaginations. Wow. This is a good exercise for some of our slower readers.

So, back to the main point.

When you limit yourself to the discoveries of science, or even the imaginations of others, it may prevent you from being able to discover frequencies or dimensions that exist outside of science's abilities to perceive higher realties which elude the beliefs of typical atheists. Understand yet? Typically and atheist will not believe anything that their senses cannot perceive, yet, there are dimensions, such as the ultraviolet field, that human beings otherwise would have never have thought of because of their inability to perceive it.

I know that this is fringe stuff and that it requires critical thought and the ability to drop pre-conceived notions about the world in which you live, but, ultimately, the stuff that I am speaking about has been thought of before by theoretical physicists. And although they cannot prove many of their "theories" by exact science, they are a great deal smarter than most ATS members who would call such progressive thinking...hogwash.

But, it lets me know the level in which people have entrapped their own learning curve, that's for sure.

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I love how many people are hung up on the theoretical aspect of my post, but, completely missed the real point which has entirely eluded you.

That's the point of my entire post in the first place. You're limiting yourself to a 2 dimensional, flat way of thinking which got you arguing about my view of theories as opposed to the general point of not being confined by it.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why we will constantly be making baby steps as a species. The only thing is, we've done too much damage to this earth to make any more giant leaps.

Maybe you should read my post again, and then you'll understand the statement that totally went over your head.

Namaste and Love

The only part of your post that wasn't trying to demean scientific theories was some garbage psuedoscience about layers and vibrations, which have NO scientific evidence AT ALL.
You claim einstein said that energy is everything, then go on to say that somehow proves vibrational changes at death, it's ridiculous and insulting to any real scientific theory.

No, the only thing insulting is how you've just demeaned yourself by such an irrational response. The way that one replies shows quite a bit about their character. I need to go no further there.

Science is changing dramatically daily. Sorry but, what we know today, may not be the same tomorrow.

And, I claimed no scientific facts in my reply. Just rational thought and a different perception than that of the mainstream which keeps you enslaved to the speed of its progression.

Namaste and Love

[edit on 8-7-2010 by PsychoX42]

Yes, science is changing all the time, but not by pseudoscientists who make bunk up then pass it off as science, science is usually changed by, get this, OTHER SCIENTISTS.
Call me irrational all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you're peddling new age garbage that has no actual basis in reality.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Three times obviously wasn't enough.

Lets go for the point...again.

The point was, not to be confined by the slow progression of modern science. If you allow yourself to be caged by discoveries made by others, you may be stunting yourself.

Namaste and Love

And your solution to that is to believe things with 0 evidence?
Fantastic, let's all go back to the dark ages!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Let me ask you something. YOu know when you drive on the road and you stop at a stoplight, did the stoplight just appear one day? Did it make itself? Nope. It was invented from someone's "imagination."

Is that the question? You already answered it. It was invented by someone.

The road that you drive...did the road just manifest itself? Nope, someone imagined that it would be a good idea to have pavement and concrete give us clear borders to drive on. That also came from someone's imagination.

Right, again! Someone thought of and built it.

The house that you live in. Did a God conceive it? Nope. A person did. In their imaginations. Wow. This is a good exercise for some of our slower readers.

Calling me slow because I did not answer before you did within your own post? Interesting. When did I ever demonstrate that I did not understand the difference between things being made and things being MADE UP?

When you limit yourself to the discoveries of science, or even the imaginations of others, it may prevent you from being able to discover frequencies or dimensions that exist outside of science's abilities to perceive higher realties which elude the beliefs of typical atheists. Understand yet? Typically and atheist will not believe anything that their senses cannot perceive, yet, there are dimensions, such as the ultraviolet field, that human beings otherwise would have never have thought of because of their inability to perceive it.

I know that this is fringe stuff and that it requires critical thought and the ability to drop pre-conceived notions about the world in which you live, but, ultimately, the stuff that I am speaking about has been thought of before by theoretical physicists. And although they cannot prove many of their "theories" by exact science, they are a great deal smarter than most ATS members who would call such progressive thinking...hogwash.

But, it lets me know the level in which people have entrapped their own learning curve, that's for sure.

Namaste and Love

I actually agreed with you until you decided to "explain" yourself.

If a god can be thought up and built by a human, he is not a god. That seems pretty simple. No stoplights ever just appeared and neither will a god. You seem sorely confused.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I like that he keeps talking about the ultraviolet field, which was found by science, not a bunch of mystics in a basement somewhere.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So Atheists/Agnostics, what are your most common nightmares you have? I tend to have dreams of being chased a lot.

Christians, what are your common nightmares? It would be interesting to find a correlation on dreams and beliefs.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Since I'm an Atheist and I can remember every dream I had. The most common nightmares I have are of God, Jesus and Satan. Which is weird. :/

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
So Atheists/Agnostics, what are your most common nightmares you have? I tend to have dreams of being chased a lot.

Christians, what are your common nightmares? It would be interesting to find a correlation on dreams and beliefs.

My dreams usually consist of alien invasions and other sci-fi stuff, cause I watch alot of sci-fi films.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by Phlynx

Since I'm an Atheist and I can remember every dream I had. The most common nightmares I have are of God, Jesus and Satan. Which is weird. :/

That is weird. You may be thinking about them too much.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Maybe your right. I need to put my mind on the good things in life.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I love how many people are hung up on the theoretical aspect of my post, but, completely missed the real point which has entirely eluded you.

That's the point of my entire post in the first place. You're limiting yourself to a 2 dimensional, flat way of thinking which got you arguing about my view of theories as opposed to the general point of not being confined by it.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why we will constantly be making baby steps as a species. The only thing is, we've done too much damage to this earth to make any more giant leaps.

Maybe you should read my post again, and then you'll understand the statement that totally went over your head.

Namaste and Love

The only part of your post that wasn't trying to demean scientific theories was some garbage psuedoscience about layers and vibrations, which have NO scientific evidence AT ALL.
You claim einstein said that energy is everything, then go on to say that somehow proves vibrational changes at death, it's ridiculous and insulting to any real scientific theory.

No, the only thing insulting is how you've just demeaned yourself by such an irrational response. The way that one replies shows quite a bit about their character. I need to go no further there.

Science is changing dramatically daily. Sorry but, what we know today, may not be the same tomorrow.

And, I claimed no scientific facts in my reply. Just rational thought and a different perception than that of the mainstream which keeps you enslaved to the speed of its progression.

Namaste and Love

Yes, science is changing all the time, but not by pseudoscientists who make bunk up then pass it off as science, science is usually changed by, get this, OTHER SCIENTISTS.
Call me irrational all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you're peddling new age garbage that has no actual basis in reality.

Peddling would imply that I am selling something...this is not the case. New Age Garbage? Only to someone too limited by their own vices who cannot see beyond what is directly in front of them. Irrational...yes. Your anger shows through in the way you type, and the tension you have as you look for someone to disagree with and then play the hardline skeptic in which you're the knight in shining armor to all those with a solid foundation like yourself.

Don't worry. You're not the first.

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Is that the question? You already answered it. It was invented by someone.

Right, again! Someone thought of and built it.

Calling me slow because I did not answer before you did within your own post? Interesting. When did I ever demonstrate that I did not understand the difference between things being made and things being MADE UP?

Namaste and Love

I actually agreed with you until you decided to "explain" yourself.

If a god can be thought up and built by a human, he is not a god. That seems pretty simple. No stoplights ever just appeared and neither will a god. You seem sorely confused.

Oh my. You took the God thing completely out of context. It was only in reply to the silly question that you made before that reply.

God help us all. Literally.

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Peddling would imply that I am selling something...this is not the case. New Age Garbage? Only to someone too limited by their own vices who cannot see beyond what is directly in front of them. Irrational...yes. Your anger shows through in the way you type, and the tension you have as you look for someone to disagree with and then play the hardline skeptic in which you're the knight in shining armor to all those with a solid foundation like yourself.

Don't worry. You're not the first.

Namaste and Love

You've done nothing to furthur try to prove your assertion that we have vibrational frequencies and have instead tried to assert that I'm angry, nice going there.
It seems like your only evidence is a supposed quote from einstein that everything is energy, which you then use to say we have vibrational frequencies, it's ludicrous.
Is that why you lash out at science? Because it doesn't accept your wild assertions as truth?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Oh my. You took the God thing completely out of context. It was only in reply to the silly question that you made before that reply.

Namaste and Love

Please stop.

I took nothing out of context. I asked about creating gods and you brought up roads and stoplights. I brought it BACK TO GOD where I WAS and I took it out of context?

Why are the people that do not believe in deities so far the only ones having an honest discussion here?

Want to preach? Be honest. Want to lie to get more followers, look elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

The end of the world.

The method always changes and when I was a kid there were certainly religious themed ones but they have since faded. They are really just always about a huge impending doom from which there is no escape, just the props and settings change.

That is the only common theme I have ever noticed and it sticks way way out.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Namaste and Love

Please stop.

I took nothing out of context. I asked about creating gods and you brought up roads and stoplights. I brought it BACK TO GOD where I WAS and I took it out of context?

Why are the people that do not believe in deities so far the only ones having an honest discussion here?

Want to preach? Be honest. Want to lie to get more followers, look elsewhere.

You shouldn't have brought up the God's remark in the first place. It had no place at all in the conversation. You're deflecting your inability to hold a conversation onto me and I had to play down to your level so that you could connect the dots on a far more superficial level than I initially wanted to entertain. So, you PLEASE STOP. If you think that I can't see the game that you're playing rather horribly, think again.

Jesus Wept.

And believe me, if I was looking for "followers," you definitely wouldn't cut the grade. I would actually want people who could think critically and not one's that I would have to explain everything step by step. I like the types of people who could fill in the blanks once in awhile. But no, I'm not looking for followers, I am more or less searching for intelligence. This doesn't seem to be the spot, and if you're the finest representative that this thread has for your particular opinion, then the education system needs a complete overhaul.

Namaste and Love

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join