It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German with Hitler ringtone faces jail

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

German with Hitler ringtone faces jail

www.news.com.au

A MAN who had a speech by Adolf Hitler as his ringtone could face up to three years in jail.
Police seized the 54-year-old's phone at Harburg station, near the northern city of Hamburg, after fellow train passengers, shocked by the sound of Hitler screaming, alerted police.
"It was an original speech by Adolf Hitler which ended with the phrase 'Sieg Heil'," police spokesman Ruediger Carstens said, adding that the man also had a picture of Hitler standing in front of a swastika on his phone.
Police have handed the case over to prosecutors.
Under German law, the man could face up to thr
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thejidf.org

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Is this ironic that the Germans have banned anything to do nazi symbolism ,Didnt hitler burn books that didnt agree with the aryan policies,he would be rolling over in his grave.Looks like the Germans dont want anything to do with their past but banning free speech and personal choices seems a bit like what the Nazis were doing.All i can say is "dont mention the war"
www.youtube.com...

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-7-2010 by 12voltz]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Where's all the Nazi skinheads when you need them?.Wont someone defend this man, after all he is just being patriotic or is this subject to controversial.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
German Bureaucrats...

.....They pretend to hate the Nazis, but only until the chance to act like them comes along.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Ok, three years is a bit excessive, but whatever. Let's all defend this man and his love for Hitler. Unless he was joking which he probably was.

If he wasn't, then you like men.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Hey remember this:

Under German law, it is illeagal to depict any Nazi symbols. It's taken them over 20 years to get to show the BBC series 'Allo 'Allo!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Germany =/= America

If it's true that, under German law, the man can get 3 years in prison, then that's that. I know that might sound harsh, but if the person was unaware of this law, maybe he can plead ignorance and get a lessened sentence. If the German people feel that this law is unfair, they should protest it and get it changed.

Let's put that in perspective: If I were to put the sounds of a girl getting brutally raped on my cell phone and it went off on the light rail, would free speech protect me, or would negative emotions prevail? I may not get 3 years in prison (which I do agree is a bit much), but I will receive some sort of fine and/or punishment.

The funniest part is that if I asked people here which was worse (sounds of a girl getting raped or a speech by Adolf Hitler), I would get a mixed response.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BSG75

Do they play Medal of Honour in Germany or are WW2 games not allowed because most of them are against the Nazis and full of swastikas and nazi symbols

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Where's all the Nazi skinheads when you need them?.Wont someone defend this man, after all he is just being patriotic or is this subject to controversial.

I'm no skinhead...and you don't need a skin head to defend someone's right to expression. Were he in the U.S. he would have every right in the world to set his ring tone to Hitler...I understand the old denazification that Germany undertook, but there is a line that is crossed that becomes ridiculous.

reply to post by BSG75

Do they play Medal of Honour in Germany or are WW2 games not allowed because most of them are against the Nazis and full of swastikas and nazi symbols

Swastikas are removed from the game (seriously.) I believe it was Call of Duty or Brothers in Arms which had to recall their German version of the game because there were some swastikas they missed on accident.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
Ok, three years is a bit excessive, but whatever. Let's all defend this man and his love for Hitler. Unless he was joking which he probably was.

Defend him regardless of what he says, because he has the right to say it.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
It seems the Germans who brought in this law are reverting back to the same thing they are trying to suppress .I understand some people would be offended by this but some people are offended by some types of music .This is about free speech and if that is taken away what is left but to follow the leader.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Defend him regardless of what he says, because he has the right to say it.

I have the right to say that you like guys. This post is probably gonna get deleted by a mod for being ill mannered, but you should defend me because I have the right to say you like men.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Someone with a hatefilled murdering rant by AH either has a sick sense of humour, or is a sick individual indeed, or both.

If it is a sick sense of humour, I suggest a few short sharp lessons e.g. watching films of holocaust victims for 10 hours straight.

If it is someone who admires AH, throw away the key.

Otherwise, call the shrinks.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

It seems the Germans who brought in this law are reverting back to the same thing they are trying to suppress .I understand some people would be offended by this but some people are offended by some types of music .This is about free speech and if that is taken away what is left but to follow the leader.

Exactly, why should you people care what ring tone he has, its upto him afterall.

There is always going to be an undercurrent of this stuff, and we know it.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Being realistic, a man who puts a Hitler speech on his ringtone is deliberately setting out to annoy people.
He's not entitled to be surprised if it works.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Even if this man did like hitler..and i should say it is possible to admire aspects of hitler without condoning his actions. So what? as long as he is not harming anyone he can support and admire anyone he bloody well likes imo.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

I have the right to say that you like guys. This post is probably gonna get deleted by a mod for being ill mannered, but you should defend me because I have the right to say you like men.

You make a point worth commenting on.

While you have a right to say that, since this is a private board, the mods have a right to remove it and penalize you - which I don't recommend they do, as long as you stop it.

It is a human natural right to say or promote politically offensive speech. The only time speech becomes a problem is when it is inciting imminent violence or property damage. - by imminent, I mean at this very moment.

American's, for the most part, recognize this is something fundamental to our existence, which is why such laws seem draconian and abhorrent.

Obviously the man should not be prosecuted and the German laws are absolutely ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Living in Germany I know that the Germans absolutely despise the nazis. From the average joe all the way to the Bundeskanzler, Nazis are hated and to say otherwise is an insult to the german people.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Pryde87

I live in Berlin and totally agree with you - most of the people I've met still appear to embarassed - including the generations born after the war. Sure there are minority neo nazis but then other countries also have them.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

There is/was nothing admirable about Hitler unless you're a genocidal Nazi.

As for the guy being prosecuted, I have no problem with this as he was blatantly trying to antagonise people who may well have lost family members to one of the most brutal regimes Europe has ever seen. If he wants to listen in private he can do so, but enticing hate in a public place? Yes, he deserves all he has coming. He was lucky that he didn't need an ambulance as well as the police really...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join