It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 55
<< 52  53  54    56  57  58 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
msn article says they are going to do some pressure testing for 6-48 hours?

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
They took the cap off! WTH? Its now leaking fully again.
Maybe due to the 2 leaks in the riser pipe?

[edit on 7/13/2010 by Pharyax]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

They took the cap off that they put on a few hours ago? What the hay?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

Probably nothing serious....... like the cracks in the sea floor?

Seriously, they probably need to adjust things. My fingers are still crossed.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Yeah, I hope they get that fixed finally. crossing all digits on my body!

They probably removed it to replace that segment of pipe that was leaking (two holes in the pipe were shooting oil out).

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Perhaps it was removed because it was causing too much back-pressure.

As Ceriddwen does a very good job of explaining HERE, if the pressure does not rise to a high enough level, or drops suddenly it can indicate that the oil is leaking somewhere else. This would be bad.

I have been thinking about this ever since the announcement was made about the new 'cap'. The whole assembly is only as strong as it's weakest point. Knowing this, it really doesn't matter how strong or sturdy anything they add to it is. As soon as they cap it, the pressure will have to go somewhere. Unfortunately, that could be right out into and up through the sea bed, bringing up all kinds of other potential problems.

We knew from the begining that it appeared the BOP was damaged before the explosion...who knows what condition the internal parts are in, or what the riser below it like. That extra pipe sticking out of it is yet another indicator that all is not well whithin that whole structure. As much as I want this to work, I will very amazed if it does. Further more, it makes me very anxious as to what might happen because of this attempt.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
reply to post by Sailor Sam

I have been wondering this myself. I have read that the wreckage is 1500 feet away from the well head.. How did it get there?

Since its very hard to moor a platform in 5000 feet of water they hold the platform in place with a dynamic positioning system that drives the propulsion system on the platform and holds a GPS position.

The explosion knock all this out and the platform started drifting only held in position by the riser. And the riser was never build to do this.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Does anybody know at which point BP would be allowed/decide to close off the ROV video feeds?

I was wondering, given the MSM coverage about the successful fitting of the new cap, and then the recent posts by observers of the feeds here about it subsequently being removed, whether BP may regard it as a bit of an own goal that they didn't shut off the broadcasts immediately that the new cap was fitted (first time). We would then be none the wiser about subsequent failures.

Are they being forced to run the broadcasts until a certain point by the government?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Hi all,

I have just uploaded two new/updated all-in-one ROVs Feeds pages.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Morpheas

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

The gov did pressure them to put the live feeds online.. I think they will be online as long as there are ROVs in the water.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
The new cap and associated rams is still in place atop the riser pipe.

At the moment the oil is simply passing through and out the top of the unit.

Doesn't look as though they have tried closing any valves or rams yet.

For some reason they have removed the pipework which was connected to the top of the rig.

I have to say that when seen from a distance the whole thing looks unstable. It seems very top heavy with a lot of equipment sitting on top of just a small piece of pipe.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Sometimes it reminds me of watching my three year old struggling with his building blocks, watching these ROVs down in the deep getting tangled and stuck and fumbling in the dark, bits dropping hither and thither and things faling over...

Just what were they thinking going down that deep with such high pressures and restrictions to deal with such forces of nature, taking such high risks with the environment? Oh hang on, from their perspective this is normal, they've been doing/getting away with this for years...it's us, weve just woken up to it...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
For a calm and sane discussion about whats going on live / realtime please take a look at this IRC channel.

freenode...

Secondly, they plan on beginning the pressure testing at 12noon central time. This could take from 6-48 hours and involves shutting off the valves on the new cap.

The new cap wasn't fitted and removed, its just open at the top, now the perforated risers been removed.

Also the holes in the side of the riser were there purposely, they refereed to them as perforations. I believe they were there initially to determine velocity of the flow somewhat. Oil didn't come out of all of the holes, this was due the the venturi effect and I'm sure was part of their flow rate calcs. It would have drawn sea water in as the oil rushed past, these could be good dispersant injection points. - Ok I've speculated a little in this last paragraph but I hope you follow what I'm getting at.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Anyone that has an iphone can download an app called 5-0 Radio, at the moment I am listening to feeds from Louisiana Oil Spill Response (Southern Area Response) and also New Orleans Area.

itunes.apple.com...
There s a free. lite version for the tight gits out there (like me
)
Currently they are talking about 110 workers cleaning up some oil, quite interesting and 'may' shed some more light on the current situation. Also lots of mention on Long/lat. locations etc.

[edit on 13/7/10 by StarTraveller]

[edit on 13/7/10 by StarTraveller]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

Would you know if this is available for iTunes on the PC?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I dont think there is a version for the PC but this will also work on Apple itouch devices using a wifi link.

Can hear the coast guard calling hq regarding Grande Isle

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

For those of us too cheap to do the iPhone thing, can you please make sure to report any relevant info you are able to get? Tightwads like me would greatly appreciate it!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ceriddwen

For those of us too cheap to do the iPhone thing, can you please make sure to report any relevant info you are able to get? Tightwads like me would greatly appreciate it!

Of course, there was just mention of a 500 yard long boom (Orange and yellow) thats broken and contaminated. I assume around Grande Isle. Will update if anything comes to light.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by b.jim

Try this:
www.radioreference.com...

Lots of live audio feeds for police and fire and the Louisiana page I linked also has several for the "oil spill response".

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ttatw

Many thanks, listening now...

new topics

top topics

<< 52  53  54    56  57  58 >>

join