It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 54
<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The sticker on the side of the coupler says “Think twice, act once”

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Mr Tranny]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It looks like the new cap is working. What a coincidence that they passed the new ban on deepwater oil drilling today!

[edit on 12-7-2010 by TwistedAmnion]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The leak has not stopped. It is still flowing up above the three-ram stack from a perforated pipe that will be removed later.

The self-sealing mechanism has to kick in, the pressure has to be watched, and then the rams will slowly close off the flow. This could take hours, it could take days. In the meantime, the flow is still, um, flowing.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

I think it says “Think twice act once!!”.

Exclamation marks theirs.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
The sticker on the side of the coupler says “Think twice, act one”

Oh the Irony!:

Image of said sticker

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
curious about the gauage was reading 23500 psi what type of measurement is that, is that flow pressure?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Wow. What really concerns me is that NO oil is coming out of the perforations. If they closed the rams that quickly either we are in the clear or we are about to see a loss of everything. Let's all hope it stays as is, if it is as it is supposed to be and something hasn't gone wrong already.

ETA that there is now a minimal amount of oil coming through the pipe perforations.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Ceriddwen]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Don't flame me for asking this question but..

Weren't there more than just one leak? I thought that aside form the main area they had to cap off, that there were a few smaller leaks elsewhere, and if I remember my physics properly and I may not, if you cap off the top all that pressure will look for the next weakest point to come bursting out yes/no?

Like I said it's just a question....

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I wonder if BP have accounted for the backbuild of pressure. Put the thing on too soon, and the thing will pop out like a champagne cork. Or maybe thats the plan?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

The main leak was at one point divided into two leaks until they cut off the bent riser pipe to install the old cap.

There are other leaks but they are coming out of the seafloor, as far as I personally know, and they can't do a lot about those.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mr20121221

Wow 23500 - if that is the pressure under the cap it is high - which means it is working - but it might be too high.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Ok. I feel better now. Oil is flowing properly through the perforated pipe.

Let's just watch and hope things continue to work properly.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skid Mark
I was watching last night and today. It looks like they aren't showing the gusher. Why? Any ideas?

I suspect because they dont need to monitor it at the moment. Previously, it showed the spew because it was right above the BOP they were monitoring. I think...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
WELL... perhaps the down well leaks & broken joints are in-fact real... and the pressurized gas & oil is steadily seeping int various layers of strata & will show up days from now in the fractures and fissures already plotted in the topography some 5 & 20 miles distant from the well-head they are in the process of 'capping'

which might leave us and other Gulf countries in a worse shape situation, with multiple gushers/oozes/ seepage's scattered all over the seabed !!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I agree. Which is why I am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get explosive.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

WELL... perhaps the down well leaks & broken joints are in-fact real... and the pressurized gas & oil is steadily seeping int various layers of strata & will show up days from now in the fractures and fissures already plotted in the topography some 5 & 20 miles distant from the well-head they are in the process of 'capping'

which might leave us and other Gulf countries in a worse shape situation, with multiple gushers/oozes/ seepage's scattered all over the seabed !!

My thoughts exactly. Its like when you buy a mocha frappucino at starbucks and blow into the bottom with your straw. Eventually the whole seafloor is gonna lift up and cause a huge tsunami!

Or maybe I am just paranoid.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This thing is still gushing, but seems like its slowed down a bit.

www.bp.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
it looks like they pulled off that vent thing, cause now its just a hole at the top spewing oil out.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Something is going on with Skandi - ROV 1, man that looks like some pressure is coming out of that thing

Edit to add a short slip of the oil now, as of about 5 mins ago (0307 GMT)

[edit on 12/7/10 by StarTraveller]

[edit on 12/7/10 by StarTraveller]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Well. They weren't supposed to remove that pipe until things were closed, at least that's what they said. Now I wonder if the pressure spiked and they had to remove it.

Either that, or that is the testing part. To see if they can close it. That doesn't make sense to me that they would have to remove it to do the testing. If anyone else knows why they would have had to remove it, please speak up.

new topics

top topics

<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join