It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 52
<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Yes it's expected. The yellow thing behind the ROV is the new transition spool which is open at the top. The new top hat will be placed there later on to (hopefully) start collecting almost all of the oil coming out.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Is this the bottom of the well head, where it meets the sea floor?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
What the heck is that thing they are holding against the well casing? They kept moving it around a little bit at a time, like it was a doctors stethoscope.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8bf8148bf43b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

like it was a doctors stethoscope

That was my impression as well. Measuring or monitoring.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Has anyone been watching in the last 15 min or so? I saw a massive amount of bright green fluid leaking (hydraulic oil?) and now the rov seems to be looking at the bottom of something, there's a big hole in it and a pipe through the middle with the green stuff inside the big hole...it just looks weird.

Edit: I was watching the CNN feed so I'm unsure which ROV it is

[edit on 11-7-2010 by meckie]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ceriddwen
reply to post by h3akalee

That is most likely anti-freeze or some other compound to melt away the methane hydrates. Looks like that thing is also covered in barnacles.

I think that is the bottom of the "bladder" that connects from the ship to the riser where it is sucked up to the ship. That is just a guess, but it has been there all along and has been tended to periodically.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Ceriddwen]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I'm so glad you got that pic. Dr's stethescope is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Are they listening for loose casing rattling around inside maybe?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
the left arm of that same ROV was holding the lateral pipes at the bottom and 'testing'(?) them (looked like it was trying to see if they would give)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
What are they doing on enterprise rov 2.
Are they trying to test the pressure and speed

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
That is the “Spud”

The first outer casing that is set into the sea floor a couple hundred feet, and cemented. There is several intermediate casings inside that unit that have been hung and cemented as the well was drilled. Each one, a bit smaller than the one before. There is several layers of steel between the spud and the production liner which may, or may not have blown out.

If the well had actually fractured to the sea floor, you would be seeing oil come out those holes around the spud.

They are most likely using a ultrasonic probe to check the wall thinness of the inner pipes, to see how much erosion damage has been done.

That big white thing above the holes is the hydraulic clamp on the bottom of the old BOP that it uses to lock onto the well head.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Whilst sitting in the #theoildrum IRC channel, a user posted a link to a new wall of cameras. This one show 17 feeds not just the twelve we've had in the past.

Give it a go if your browsers up for it.

naula.sytes.net...

Thanks to IRC username "Slick"

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
New stack being lowered to the top of the spool fitting on top of the BOP. This is the cap folks. On her way....

mfile.akamai.com...:24951.asx

This url won't post correctly as a link, enter it manually.

[edit on 12/7/2010 by who-me?]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Bolts are tight.
The ROV ditched the hydrowrench in the tool basket.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Is the operator on enterprise ROV2 freaking drunk?

He dropped the spray wand and then proceeded to tie the hose in knots and almost knock the front of the ROV off in a one handed attempt to retrieve it!!!!!!!!

Hasn’t he heard of using both hands? That is why they have two arms on an ROV!!!!!!

The front fan unit has literally been knocked loose!!!!!

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Mr Tranny]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
the live feeds we are watching are not the deepwater horizon site...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by yarosh
the live feeds we are watching are not the deepwater horizon site...
wut?
second line wut?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I was watching the live feeds for about 15 minutes this morning to see if I could figure out what they were doing.

At 10:45 am watching Enterprise ROV1.......I noticed something....

Many have questioned the depth of these ROV's before due to seeing different marine life......

A good size yellow tail tuna swam right in front of the camera........Then a group that I could not make out dashed in front as well.

Then the camera went off for about a minute..........

The ROV was working on a "rod" or sometype of an extension.

The problem I have is in order to see a yellow tail the ROV must be below the BOP due to the oil disturbance above it.

Yellow tails typically swim 85% of the time at depths of 75 meters.........

en.wikipedia.org...

I am from Louisiana who at one point owned my own gulf boat and I have never fished for tuna below 500 ft.........

So if anyone is recording the live feeds go look at this ROV between 10:40 to 10:45 and tell me what depth do you think it is..............

If its above the BPO my question is how can you even see anything due to the magnatude of the oil pushing up?

realitycheck.no-ip.info...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

It looks like a thickness guage. Works on ultrasound and measures the thickness of steel and other materials.

example

[edit on 12-7-2010 by bigyin]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Not sure if there was an answer to the question about the measurements or readings taking place under the BOP, it was being done as a result of one of the ROV's tangling a tither cord and putting a severe yank on the unit that was tightening the bolts holding the new flange, they came very close to pulling the BOP over.
The camera showing the ROV on top made it clear that the line was pulled tight and the BOP moved and did not seem to recover, it looks like maybe a one or two degree lean might have been added.
If I heard right, the BOP weight is around 450 tons and they are adding close to 100 tons more with the new cap, that is a lot of weight and 4 hoses going all the way to just below the surface can put tremendous strain on the unit.
I think it is likely they will put some kind of support wires around the BOP before they start transfering oil on the surface.

I think the instrument was testing for ultrasound images that might reveal any stress fractures in the steel, as a result of the jolt.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by RonLL]

top topics

<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join