It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I t looks loke the pipe is bending below the BOP

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Well - I am too new (or too much of lurker
) to post a new thread, but, this is as good a place as any.

BP Starts Test Today on Stopping Leak From Gulf Well

www.businessweek.com...

It will either hold, leak or BOOM !! Could make a great show - if they stream the operations. Question I have is how much down force do they need to keep the thing from flailing all over the place when they lower it?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

Yes indeedy my browser is up for it and it rocks! Thanks for the post. Definitely check it out folks if you can. All these cameras seem to be working. In case you missed the link:

17 live cameras

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

I am glad you brought this up. I am surprised no one is really answering you. I guess there isn't a easy answer for it. I have wondered too when I have seen different kinds of things swim by. I even wondered if they are showing us the actual spill site and not some other one they have to work on somewhere else. Crazy I know and probably way off target, but still... ya know?

I guess the good news is, some things are still living, at least for now.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
until today, i was never aware of the actual physical size of the equipment they're dicking about with down there.... today i read that the cap they're trying to stick on the leak now is 9m tall and weighs 72tons!! dunno about you, but i found that pretty surprising! when wtching he live feed, try and give everything a sense of scale - the rim of the broken pipe is big enough to stand a few people on! i reckon the actual gushing flow of oil must be a couple of metres across..

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
To give you an idea, the ROV’s are about the size of a E350 van floating around. Those arms they are using isn’t the size of your, or my arm. They could rip us in half, without a second thought.

Ow… on to the person that commented about the BOP moving around. I will repeat myself. There is a flex joint on the top of the BOP that allows the riser to move around as the drill ship moves. The moving at the top is the flex joint flexing. They have some restraining blocks on it to try to stop it moving around as much, but it still can move some.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by twentythreedom

Ok, I agree that is crazy, 27 feet tall weighing 72 tons, really? that means from the base up the thing weighs 5,333 pounds per linear foot. What the hell did they make this out of?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
What I don't understand is this -
A massive rig is drilling for oil.
Floating directly above the well it is drilling.
It catches fire, explodes and sinks.
It presumably goes straight to the bottom, on top of its own well.
Underwater pictures from ROVs don't show huge piles of rig wreckage on top of and around the leaking wellhead.
Any explanations for this please?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I was watching last night and today. It looks like they aren't showing the gusher. Why? Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sailor Sam

I have been wondering this myself. I have read that the wreckage is 1500 feet away from the well head.. How did it get there?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sailor Sam
What I don't understand is this -
A massive rig is drilling for oil.
Floating directly above the well it is drilling.
It catches fire, explodes and sinks.
It presumably goes straight to the bottom, on top of its own well.
Underwater pictures from ROVs don't show huge piles of rig wreckage on top of and around the leaking wellhead.
Any explanations for this please?

There is a prevailing current in the ocean. It takes a finite amount of time for an object to sink through 5000 feet of water. Even if it weighs 50 gazillion tones.

Add to the fact that it was drifting for an appreciable time before it sunk. That is because all power and navigation was gone. It was still attached so it couldn’t’ drift far, but it still drifted several hundred feet.

It came to land 1500 or so feet from the well head.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Mr Tranny]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
lol yeah, it wasn't a controlled demolition like um let's say Towers or something where it fell straight down...
Sorry guys, couldn't help myself

[edit on 12-7-2010 by yigsstarhouse]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
reply to post by Sailor Sam

I have been wondering this myself. I have read that the wreckage is 1500 feet away from the well head.. How did it get there?

From the animations I saw somewhere, it had the pipe attached to it and Kinda fell like a tree. Seems like with the weight of the righ that wouldn't happen though.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
From the animations I saw somewhere, it had the pipe attached to it and Kinda fell like a tree. Seems like with the weight of the righ that wouldn't happen though.

When a passenger/fair weather ship sinks, it’s rate of decent increases after it’s bow line drops below the water line. That is because the air filled parts in the hull fill with water.

In a rig like this, all the primary flotation is compartmentalized, and locked off. Water tight doors that section off the parts of the ship. Just like military ships. When it finally does go below the ocean level. It doesn’t start sinking rapidly. It is just slightly heaver than the water it is displacing (negatively buoyant). So it sinks slowly at first. As water pressure increases, and the air filled spaces are crushed by the pressure, then it starts sinking faster after it has reached a depth of several hundred feet.

Like the ocean ranger. It had been completely flipped, but it was still floating when they found it. Because the parts of the ship that kept it afloat were sealed off and did not flood when it flipped.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The stack is moving in the general direction of the BOP

We are down to the nitty gritty..........

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
thanks for original poster couldnt find it.
used history...

bp.concerts.com...

again the "what happened down there.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by telfyr]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
CNN will let us know when they will put the cap on - and then check the pressures which will be very important! Not doing it yet, stay tuned.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
New cap is on now.

Was very bumpy and had to be pushed around a lot but eventually it went on.

Leak appears to have stopped

[edit on 12-7-2010 by bigyin]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Woot!

2nd line Woot!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
New cap is on now.

Was very bumpy and had to be pushed around a lot but eventually it went on.

Leak appears to have stopped

[edit on 12-7-2010 by bigyin]

It is indeed:

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join