It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep Earth BP spill now suspected to be Radioactive!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Although the oil coming out of the BP well may-be radioactive, waving an ancient Civil Defense geiger counter in front of a bag of brown matter is not really evidence.

I work at a surplus store, and we have tons of old CD geiger counters and ion chambers (the model they are using are CDV-700, the only CD radioactivity meter that is a real geiger counter.)

On the CDV-700s, merely waving the wand will make the needle move (especially on the 1x sensitivity setting), and that is what I see happening in the video. Not to mention that the beta shield is open, so even if the matter is very very slightly radioactive. There is a good possibility it is beta radioactivity.

Please don't think I'm trying to downplay the despicable things that BP has done, but I must deny ignorance.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
So...between the Methane and the Radiation and the untested Man-Made Chemicals,not to mention the ungodly amounts of oil that are STILL being pumped out,the Gulf will no doubt soon spawn some unholy Godzilla-like creature to unleash Mother Earths wrath upon us all. So we've still got that to look forward to,which is nice.

At this point,I dont even care if the gulf gets cleaned up...its far too late for that. I just wanna see how bad it can get. Maybe someone could hack into HARP and whip us up a few hurricanes,or we could all just chip in and buy BP a giant 500 foot tall mechanical penis and just let them rape the hole until they hit a fault line. What does it matter at this point? Embrace the horror,and enjoy the ride. After all,we all paid for the ticket...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Slightly radioactive oil….. Ummmmmm … what is the point???

Pretty much everything on this planet is radioactive to some degree or another.

Heck, the dust on your countertop probably has a few isotopes of some kind in the dust on top of it. They come from space dust that filtered down through the atmosphere and settled on things below, including your countertop. Considering how many tons of radioactive isotopes rain on us, from outer space, every day, it is not surprising that dust is one of the more radioactive things in the home.

The salt in your kitchen has Iodine in it, which is usually made up of a small percentage of natural radioactive Iodine isotopes.

Oil that comes from the ground will have trace elements from the rock it came out of, and more than likely, some will be radioactive. You can’t truly remove all the radioactivity from it, unless you run it through a molecular sieve.

If you go outside and pick up a rock, it will have some small quantity of uranium, thorium and the like. It may be one part per billion, or the like, but it will be there, and it will make the rock slightly radioactive.

Basic lesson. If you take something from the ground (oil, water, plants for food) It will be radioactive to some degree. That is just the way it works.

.........EDIT..........
Correction to myself. You couldn’t even make it truly radioactive free with a molecular sieve. The oil will have some percentage of C14 in it. The carbon part of hydroCARBON. All be it a slow decay, it will add a calculable (if not detectable) amount of radioactivity to it. The surger we eat also has carbon in it, which has C14, and will cause it to be radioactive ..... to a degree..........

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Mr Tranny]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Consumers/Customers have all the power in which a business thrives or survives

Everyone on this planet needs to realize that fossil fuels are highly destructive and unsustainable

An example of consumer/customer power is with the food industry;
where everyone started buying nothing but healthier foods;
which forced the food industry to produce what was demanded or face death

This same concept could be applied to the oil industry

here are better alternatives

Chevrolet Volt 2011

Final Design: 2010 Olympics Winter Games Commercial

[edit on 19-6-2010 by SupremeKnowledge]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
WOW...The Chevy Volt!!!! I've been hearing about that for years!!! I'm going to run right out tomorrow and buy one...oh wait,I cant. Just like the Nissan Leaf and the might-as-well-be-mythical Tesla. And if any of these cars DO make it to market,most of them will be priced well beyond the income of most middle to lower class families....especially as the economy keeps tanking. Oh well...nice idea,in theory.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by The ?
WOW...The Chevy Volt!!!! I've been hearing about that for years!!! I'm going to run right out tomorrow and buy one...oh wait,I cant. Just like the Nissan Leaf and the might-as-well-be-mythical Tesla. And if any of these cars DO make it to market,most of them will be priced well beyond the income of most middle to lower class families....especially as the economy keeps tanking. Oh well...nice idea,in theory.

The Chevy Volt retails at 20,000 dollars;
Within 5 years it should go down to 10,000 dollars for a used one;
10 years 2000 dollars

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr
reply to post by OuttaTime

I just have 1 question how on earth (pun intended) could the oil leaking from the bottom of the gulf be radioactive? Lets look at this for a moment are you trying to say there is a huge pocket of uranium under there? And if so how is this supposed to get to dangerous levels of radioactivity in oil? You do realize you can hold mined uranium and only get minimal exposure would get more from the sun.

Such logic and sense has no place in this thread! Post links to a blog and call it fact!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupremeKnowledge
Consumers/Customers have all the power in which a business thrives or survives

Everyone on this planet needs to realize that fossil fuels are highly destructive and unsustainable

You do realize that electric cars still have to be plugged in to a grid that is basically ALL fossil fuels, right?

example of consumer/customer power is with the food industry;
where everyone started buying nothing but healthier foods;
which forced the food industry to produce what was demanded or face death

This same concept could be applied to the oil industry

You mean how the 'food industry' co-opted and watered down organic regulation to a point where it is as meaningless as the term 'natural'?

If you want to live in a post-petrol world, you MUST learn to scale down/power down.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Originally posted by dragonridr

I just have 1 question how on earth (pun intended) could the oil leaking from the bottom of the gulf be radioactive? Lets look at this for a moment are you trying to say there is a huge pocket of uranium under there? And if so how is this supposed to get to dangerous levels of radioactivity in oil? You do realize you can hold mined uranium and only get minimal exposure would get more from the sun.

Such logic and sense has no place in this thread! Post links to a blog and call it fact!

He is right;
How much Uranium has to be in the oil for it to be radioactive?
Hasnt BP been drilling there for years?
Could BP have a high volume of Uranium in their hands?
If that is not called weapons of mass destruction, then i dont know what is...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SupremeKnowledge

You do realize that no alternative, renewable power source exists to charge the batteries on all electric vehicles don't you. The trade off is you burn coal to create the energy. Why do you think we have not switched? You can't wish something into existence. 30 heavy development on wind and solar and they have made little progress.

Nuclear is a great, safe and clean option, but the Environmentalists don't want safe and clean. We would have had to start building when France and Japan did. The Industry gave up when they realized you can't get past the lawsuits to even turn the first spade of soil. The Environmentalists are almost entirely responsible for most of the fossil fuel use.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

What is this, Romper Room? Your socks on a hot day have more radioactivity.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

You do realize that no alternative, renewable power source exists to charge the batteries on all electric vehicles don't you. The trade off is you burn coal to create the energy. Why do you think we have not switched? You can't wish something into existence. 30 heavy development on wind and solar and they have made little progress.

Nuclear is a great, safe and clean option, but the Environmentalists don't want safe and clean. We would have had to start building when France and Japan did. The Industry gave up when they realized you can't get past the lawsuits to even turn the first spade of soil. The Environmentalists are almost entirely responsible for most of the fossil fuel use.

There is Solar Power, wind power, ocean power, thermal power,
The technology would be far way advanced and efficient than it is today if it wasnt for the oil industry suppressing clean, renewable energy

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

try to look on the bright side, its a change of scenery and, who know, oil + dispersant might make a good marinade because of the saltwater

fowl and seafood barbecue, anyone?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

the ptb are refusing help to make the most of this crisis

please review website

www.ots.org...

why did these not get used straight away?

how many sadistick laws have been passed while we all watch the gulf?

why is this machine not all over the news?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

if this is proven to be radioactive in any way, and the MSM starts reporting it, you can bet your backside those living along the coast will riot against anything associated with BP, and IF the governments knows bout this and hasnt warned the public to evacuate the coastal areas in time, you can again bet your backside there'd be a major civilian uprising against anything federal......

Yeah right.
I've got about as much faith in that as I do the public making an uprising against anything they've been lied to or have had shoved down their throat over the last few years.

The only fighting they'll be doing will be pushing and elbowing in line to get to the evacuation buses headed towards detainment, oops I mean relief camps.

Question:

Is it possible, somehow, 'they' went ahead and used a nuke without telling us? That being the reason for the multiple leaks now, and the radiation???

Could that have possibly taken place right under our noses?

Another reason why they were (and are) so adamant about keeping people away from the area???

peace

[edit on 19-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Yeah I posted that on page 1 as reference. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod
if its not radioactiv now, it will be when they have to nuke it to stop the leak

Though you probably said this half in jest, it bears thinking about: if this "news" of radioactive oil leaking out of that broken well gets around enough, then it would make a great fall-back cover story if they decide to go ahead and nuke that site without telling us about it. The radioactivity in the region post-nuke would be "blamed" on this allegedly "radioactive oil".

Need to point out that I'm just mentioning the above as a scenario. I agree with those who've said that radioactivity exists almost everywhere within our environment to a measurable degree, and I agree for the simple reason that it's a known fact. The amount of radioactivity in this oil appears to be at the low end of the scale, so I bow to the opinions of those with more knowledge than I have when they say it's not likely to be harmful.

However, circulating stories of "radioactive oil" at this BP disaster site could ultimately be beneficial to TPTB if the above scenario comes to be reality. If it makes the MSM, any "health risk" angle will be downplayed and the Public will be told that it's not rare for oil to contain trace amounts of radiation, there's radioactive material all around us, etc etc.

The Public then goes back to watching Paris and her friends.

There is an obvious question, though. If they use a nuke (without announcing it), then surely we'll know about it anyway because of the huge explosion and sea-surface activity that's bound to follow? Well, no. We might learn of a massive explosion, but unless we are directly involved it might be hard for us to conclusively determine what caused it. TPTB -- or TPTBP in this case
-- could say that they used conventional high explosives (HE), and that any radiation in the area was from the trace amounts in the "radioactive oil" and was not from a nuke. And even if we know that nukes have an explosion "signature" that can be detected by seismographs, TPTBP could say that a conventional HE detonation at this depth mimics that signature.

Okay, they could say anything, really, and even if the BS meters of intelligent, discerning folks (such as the majority here on ATS) go right off the scale, they won't care less. TPTBP only have to placate the Voters People -- who will either buy this BS or forget about it by lunchtime tomorrow anyway.

Putting it bluntly, if they use a nuke I can't see them just coming out and telling us they did -- especially if it doesn't do the job of shutting down this horrendously destructive leak. Paris and other airhead entertainment friends notwithstanding, most people would actually remember that -- and this is an election year, after all.

I mean, it's reported that the POTUS has ruled out a nuke as an option, and we always take politicians at their word, don't we?

Mike

[edit on 19/6/10 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I have two points. First, the video on OPs first post seems broken, sends one to a ISP BANNED page. I would therefore like to know if anyone has some numbers with regard to the actual radioactivity present at the site, in the oil comming out of it, and what the dispersal pattern of dangerous levels of radioactivity are throughout the area affected by the spill.
Futhermore, I would also like to take this oppertunity to explain something. I have seen mention on this thread of people who believe that Gulf Syndromes are caused by dispersed radioactivity from Saddams wells. Please dont be obtuse, the problems suffered by the fighting men of Britain and America are caused in the majority by the DU in thier own rounds, NOT by the wells drilled by the insane and deceased tyrant former ruler of Iraq. However, in both the case of Gulf Syndrome and the risk factor of living and working in spill affected areas, the correct answer to avoiding these risks is to A) Inform people who could be affected that they are at risk, and B) REGARDLESS OF COST, provide EVERY at risk party with all the required personal protective equipment, and if nessacary re home any civilian (ie person not involved in the clean up, or indeed any industry in the area) who could be at risk of comming into contact with a radioactive substance,be it gas, liquid or any other material.
While Im thinking about it , didnt Obama say that the seafood from the Gulf of Mexico was safe to munch on? I dont see how thats true if dangerous levels of radioactive material are loose in the area. Seems to me that everything that gets pulled out of that area ought to be carefuly scrutinised with Gieger counters to ensure minimal spread of this issue. I know thats going to cause more upset to an already dismayed local industry, but public safety ought to be one of the top considerations.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Not suprising to me, radioactive elements are present in the Earths crust. What is worse, by burning them along with oil and coal we release them into the atmosphere and inhale them. A coal plant or oil well could very well create far more dangerous radioactivity than nuclear plant in the end, because spent nuclear fuel is at least confined.

The Environmentalists are almost entirely responsible for most of the fossil fuel use.

Quoted for truth.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by The ?
So...between the Methane and the Radiation and the untested Man-Made Chemicals,not to mention the ungodly amounts of oil that are STILL being pumped out,the Gulf will no doubt soon spawn some unholy Godzilla-like creature to unleash Mother Earths wrath upon us all. So we've still got that to look forward to,which is nice.

At this point,I dont even care if the gulf gets cleaned up...its far too late for that. I just wanna see how bad it can get. Maybe someone could hack into HARP and whip us up a few hurricanes,or we could all just chip in and buy BP a giant 500 foot tall mechanical penis and just let them rape the hole until they hit a fault line. What does it matter at this point? Embrace the horror,and enjoy the ride. After all,we all paid for the ticket...

Yeah I bet they woke some cloverfield like beast up down there.. Even though this event is very seriuos.. This post made me laugh!! Because I feel a little like that to.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join