It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread for President Obama's 6/15/10 Address to the Nation on the Oil Spill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I swore for a minute that Obama was going to end the use of fossil fuels forever! This was a nice end, though, since it was intended to make us all feel united. Although, I would have liked to hear that the government would be leading the way to clean energy, rather than the country as a whole. Using the latter makes it seems like a cop-out.

It seemed like the plan to fix the spill situation was very vague. I did like - and was shocked to hear about - the six-month ban on drilling in the area. This is a good idea, if the intentions are benevolent. Other than that, I am not sure.

EDIT:

Thanks to ATSer la2 in the thread here, the full transcript is available here.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by they see ALL]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
If I would be the president, I would ask people living on the coast, those who can, and want to, to move to relatives/friends elsewhere... all people affected would see their bills suspended until this is over.

So you would punish other companies because as President you urged them to move? As much power as you people think the President has, no wonder that office gets away with so much....regardless of who is sitting in the Oval Office.

And I would bring back the troops from Afghanistan and Iraq. Give them proper equipment, and put them to work in the gulf. There's machines that can pump 200 gallon/minutes... with 50 of those, you can clean up the mess.

We have enough people remaining in the States to do such a thing. The military, any and willing volunteers, etc should all be allowed to get out there and do the job of cleaning up.

[quoted]
And of course, all the CEOs of BP would be arrested RIGHT NOW.

What charges? I understand the emotional aspect, but demanding someone to be arrested, without evidence of criminal intent this is just reckless.

------

On to the President.....The speech was alright. He hit on the points needed. He was tough on BP (I didn't count how many times he referred to BP, but it was quite a bit), showed compassion for the people and region that is effected by this catastrophe and then brought out the grand design, and what seemed to be the crux of the address; 'comprehensive' energy reform....whatever that means.

I felt a bit weird that he invoked our manufacturing capabilities during WWII and then our technical capabilities to put a man on the moon. The analogy might serve its purpose, but the private sector was a large part of the process of both those accomplishments. In this, the Government wishes to push out nearly all private enterprises in their efforts to tackle this issue. While I understand many here do not hold the point of view in regards to the free market, but this is an excellent chance to see the reinvigoration of American might in regards to manufacturing, technological breakthroughs and dominance in the market in not only the cleanup effort, but what lies ahead.

Overall, the Government, just as BP, has no idea how to fix the problem. It is time to tap the ingenuity of the American spirit and tenacity to take advantage of this moment in time and place which is upon us. Not only tapping universities, which academics may have fantastic brains, but have little to no experience, nor only tapping government bureaucracies that are muddled and confined by red tape and corruption, or solely relying upon the large conglomerate corporations such as Exxon or Shell who have possibly a reason to keep this catastrophe going longer than needed. We have 300 million people, and when called to duty, as shown by history we have and we shall overcome this adversity when allowed to do so.

My views may totally change in the days to come on the actions that follow the words.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I think he bent over backwards to avoid sounding too partisan or to cast any blame on the lax policies of the previous administration. It seemed muted and constrained. He authorised the use of 17,000 National Guard troops to aid and I see no problem with that...it's about time we used them more for domestic problems.

I think he means business in promoting greener energies and I hope he puts the money where his mouth is. I wish he'd been more partisan and more angry but he's got better manners than I do.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
From a totally neutral view of Obama. The guy is one of the best speakers I've ever scene. What a spot less performance. As for what was said I'm just glad he mentioned nothing about martial law. We can set that aside for a week or so.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Weak, unfocussed, and lacking sufficient details.

Mostly a "rah-rah, we're gonna win" kind of thing that didn't acknowledge the severity of the problems.

It all depends on whether BP can actually meet projections within the time frame specified, which is seriously doubtful.

But I think we've just seen the beginning of the end of his presidency, and probably, ultimately the US unless things change pretty quick.

I think they still view it as more of a political problem than a genuine global ecological one.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It's freaking 3 a.m. and Obama is giving yet another finely crafted speech.

You know what Mr. President...no *@#!, we freaking already expect that BP will be held accountable and will have to pay for this clusterfrap!

Quit saying that...just plug the damn hole, protect the damn beaches and start issuing some damn indictments.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I would like to say that I'm surprised by this speech. I'm 24, and I've only been paying attention to government since Clinton, and understanding it since 9/11.

I have not seen many presidential speeches. I haven't needed to. I feel like I'm waking up to someone else's political climate nightmare.

I've been raised to see shiny toys and crave them more than needs, want them over the well being of other human beings. I am only starting to open my eyes, and I almost want to close them again.

This speech, was the biggest pile of BS I have ever heard. The speech was entirely about money, and developing a country that has over developed itself into vanity and greed.

I look around me, and everyone is waiting to see what Lindsey is going to do next, when Britney might just break enough to kill herself, what couch Tom Cruise is jumping on.

So many people have already dismissed the oil spill, just like they dismissed Katrina once they got bored with it.

Then we get this speech, about new energy and compensation. What about a real solution? What kind of solution is "New Energy," when the man who is supposed to be backing "new energy" tells us himself, "It will take time." I'm sorry? Time? While people are getting sick, while Haiti is in RUINS, while the gulf is being systematically destroyed?

Don't tell me how people are praying for a good fishing season, don't tell me God Bless America.

People have put this man where he is, and he is spoon feeding us lies and misdirection.

I simply don't know what I can do to help, in a world that doesn't seem to want to help itself.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
More bullcrap from the great speaker.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

If the FED's start handing down indictments... they would need to include the folks at MMS complicit with this fiasco...

You know, the folks that the President is ultimately in charge of..

Sure, BP is culpable, however, if the fed regulations in place were followed, this could have been avoided.

Who approved the emergency plans that BP presented? the plan that included phone numbers to a long deceased expert, the plan that cited potential wildlife impact, wildlife that don't even live in the gulf?

See where I am going here

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
See where I am going here

Yes. And I'm right there with you. Let the chips fall where they may...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I am not a fan of his politics or his policies he pursues, but he cannot do any of those things. As a poster above said, they are still viewing this as political catastrophe and not one of ecological and economical disasters.

He cannot force any company to plug the hole; they will just throw what they know at it and hope it works. If it doesn't work, then what else is to be done? We all know the United States Government has no capability of solving this problem.

He cannot clean the beaches; he can however, urge via the bully pulpit as he did tonight that BP will pay for all this. From cleanup to economic losses occurred because of the break, BP should be held accountable, along with every other company that was involved with the rig.

He most surely cannot issue indictments at will. He can unleash the Justice department at BP, but unless criminal intent or negligence was there, what do you want indicted? An accident occurred, unless they can find some willful negligence in sabotaging their own oil rig so they can lose billions of dollars in the after effects. What precedence does that set?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I fell asleep a few minutes into it.. WHAT A CROCK OF PELLICAN CRAP!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
One portion of his speech that makes me more concerned than ever - "BP should be able to stop 90% of this leak this summer" - its that word "should" - I keep thinking what if they can't. Was he giving the people of the gulf false hopes? The political agenda doesn't mean anything unless the leak can be stopped and cleaned up!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
brilliant research im gunna look this up, good work

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Indictments. Yes. Negligence won't be hard to prove, my seven year old could argue the case and win.

We need innovation and out of the box thinking on this issue. What we don't need is for the criminals to be in charge of the crime scene. What we don't need is bureaucracy while the oil comes on shore. What we don't need is speeches and stating the obvious.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Im now more convinced then ever that this was a conspiracy to get the green energy movement moving.

So a oil rig blows up and causes ecological destruction....and the president who has been known as the greenest president to date wants to move away from fossil fules.

coincidence? i think not.

That rigg was sabotaged.

We have all been talking about a false flag happening soon right? and we had one go off right under our noses WHEN and WHERE we least expected it.

We were also under the false assumption that the false flag could only be used to invade another country.

It is now clear that the false flag could be used to further a cause or ideaology instead of invading another country.

WE WERE ALL FOOLED!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
In between the 18 minutes of rehearsed verbiage, all I kept hearing in my head was: "When elected, I promise to withdraw the troops from the war-torn nations..."

HA!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
You know within 3 days the dutch and many many other countries offered their help to come to our aid (which doesnt happen often) and clean this mess up, they could have been skimming millions of gallons of sludge and residual off the surface SINCE DAY 3, and OBAMA turned them down........but its all BPs fault?

Tell you what, if BP would have said "Well we have all these other alternatives athat we can use and all these other different things we can do to minimize this, but we arent going to do that right now" They would have them strung up by the neck with LEGAL ACTION against them............Oh........WAIT ........HE IS!

So I ask YOU Mr.President.......how do i let my family,friends and the people of the gulf region, know how to get a hold of YOU for the CLASS ACTION lawsuit against YOUR criminal negligence in NOT allowing anyone to HELP with this disaster.......FRICKING double standard....

This man is JUST as much to blame as anyone else, he HAD the resources, he HAD the offers, and he DENIED them......we could have ATLEAST had SOME damage control....

Hows that hope and change coming........

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
One portion of his speech that makes me more concerned than ever - "BP should be able to stop 90% of this leak this summer" - its that word "should" - I keep thinking what if they can't.

About this use of "should" - I don't feel like reading over the transcript, but it seemed like almost everything Obama suggested was basically negated since he always followed any plans to fix the situation with a statement like "the oil will still leak" or "the damage will still be done" and etc. I know nobody is perfect, and that you shouldn't promise anything you can't keep, but he, as president, should be more definitive - either certain plans will work, or they will not.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by they see ALL]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Did anyone else notice that he had to catch himself.

For a micro second I thought he was going to mention the airbourne toxins.

"people being affected by a menacing cloud of.......Black crude"

the was a break in his delivery there. almost like he wanted to say Benzene!

You could see him physically swallow his words.

Well caught to keep to the script.

And since when is a an oil slick EVER described as a CLOUD!!

CLOUDS ARE IN THE AIR!!

[edit on 15/6/2010 by JakiusFogg]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join