It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American flag burned...in England

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by janon
I find it hilarious those that want to claim "it's just a flag" but then vehemently defend their sport. It's suppose to be a pastime, not a religion. Find something more pertinent to go flag burning over.

I believe it is just a flag but it is also just a game.

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a5b183d2c7f.jpg[/atsimg]
Bill Shankly OBE, 2nd September 1913-29th September 1981
Liverpool FC Manager, 1959-1974

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

You know nothing about football hooligans my friend, trust me.

These weren't hooligans, they were passionate, loyal supporters who live and breath their club.

British hooligans are something very, very different I assure you!

I suggest you do a little research on the hooligan phenomonon before you start commenting on it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

reply to post by Ulala

reply to post by Freeborn

That is very sad.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

you are telling someone online that they know nothing about something.
someone you have never met.

that is the most rediculous thing i have read today.

how can you possibly know what i know? i would like to call you an idiot but i am not allowed to

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lurch

Perhaps USAmericans will start burning British flags because of the extreme incompetence of BP.

Sometimes it appears as if the English are still fighting the war of American Independence -- here it is in reference to football (soccer), and in the Gulf of Mexico ....

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Eh, the worst thing about burning flags is the fact that some dude making peanuts in China probably spent a while making it in slave conditions. All that hard work and here he finds that his flag has been burned.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disclosure Agent
Good on them.....

I'm a Villa supporter and would happily do the same if my team ever had Amercian managment or owners !!!

What the hell do they know about proper Football, bugger all so why let them manager / fund our teams.....

By Villa you mean Aston Villa right?

And you don't know your club is owned by an American??
Some fan you are...

Randy Lerner owns your club.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

That is freaking hilarious ,hahaha!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Cool of you though you where not involved it still is appreciated speaking as an american.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
first of all let me say im from liverpool , i support liverpool f.c ,and i live in liverpool;
the burning of the flag was mearly an act of symbolism on the fans parts and there wasnt just the one burnt on the occasion..this was not a way of showing hatred for the good ole us of a after all how could anyone burn the stars and stripes in hatred ?
this was a way of getting media attention and it worked its gone worldwide now the world Knows what the fans think of the american owners and the way that they have destroyed a once world renowned sporting instatution the burning worked so you can hardly call the fans stupid and idiotic with low iq's if they were such people then would or could they of thought of such a succesful protest

And finnally you guys over the pond should learn to relax and climb out of youre intestinal tracts you take so much to heart liverpool has not declared war on the us just on one of yore citizens maybe they should of burnt the texas flag instead along side the canadian one for mr gillette probably would of been more fitting

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Originally posted by robbinsj
From this to BP, what else is to come out of that country. I say we arrest them and if the Brits dont agree then the USA should cut or ally off and there oil companies as well.. After we sue BP into nothing.

If they want immunity then we reply with some shock and awe loving.

Just makes me sick!

"not towards all brits, just the ones that side with this mentallity".

Thank God you said that last part. For a moment there I thought you were going to make yourself look stupid. Phew!

Yes I do not group anyone with them unlesss they share the same views as I ask no one group me with the mentality of Bush/Obama.

I aslo hate them both as the rest of the world does.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Just wondered also.... As people in Louisiana are burning the Union Jack against BP... do you think Brits care about that?

Are we in uproar or are there threads saying all kinds of crap about Americans because of it?

Nope...

The difference is... to us the flag is a piece of material.... to you guys it's a part of your family or something.

It's about context, these people weren't complaining about America, neither were they Anti-American.... they were against owners of a football club who happen to be American... it was a protest, symbolic gesture.... not an attack on America.

Some of the comments on this thread are just ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
I think had a Briton bought the New York Giants with borrowed money, then re-financed that deal by way of a loan secured on the New York Giants stadium & all its assets, then through a series of misjudged finance deals virtually bankrupted the club you love ... wouldn't New Yorkers be burning the British flag ? And singing Zippity Do Da as they did so ?

And wouldn't all the American hypocrites who frequent these pages have been in full support of that, free speech n'all ... that's what all "our boys" died for ... so "you guys" don't speak German ... blah blah blah blah blah ad nauseum.

Sorry friend but no american I know of supports the burning of any flag. Not ours not yours and not even the IRAQ flag.

When the USA invaded Iraq we destroyed the statue of an A hole not burning flags and there bible's. "koran or wtf ever its called".

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by diamount
Could say the same about Americans burning a British flag over the oil spill incident.

Never saw this happen. Are you compairing in theory? If not I also condem the American in the smae manner. No one has the right to burn the flag of another. Just my .02

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by blupblup

That is freaking hilarious ,hahaha!

Agreed that's an ultra embarrassing faux pas, it's not as if Lerner's low profile or a recent change.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Americans are not responcable for what you claim, the @ss hole elected by the 2 party system did and americans hate them as much as we hate this.

You obviously do not know wtf is going on so please mind your own.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

I'd like to see an annual world holiday when a bonfire would be made of all flags, religious texts & symbols. Burn the lot... offend everyone that likes to take offence!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
oh a final ..final word speaking as a brit go ahead and burn the flag if it makes you feel better
most brits dont give a damn about it anyway destoyng a sport we love is more important to us well me any way
i love the usa its the most beautiful country on the planet (next to the uk) it s just a shame its heartlands are populated by gun toting war mongering inbred idiots who drive trucks ( now there is a stereotype) and believe there own media
liverpool has a great history with america an awful lot of americans ancestors sailed from our great port in the search for a new life and in doing so made my city the greatest port on earth for a short time. so we have a lot to thank you for although you 'll be getting no thanks of us for this debarcle

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I am so happy that it doesn't represent the majority of Great Britain doing that.

Sure Britain and the USA has had it's fair share of problems with one another but the USA is our "child" so to speak, we should treat it with respect and dignity and teach it the correct morals, it has also been a great ally to us in the last century or so.

I can't believe they would do that over football though..how pitiful.
If the USA had just declared war on us or destroyed a British army base then yeah i'd probably burn one to...i'm patriotic

Seriously it's football!
Not war,not political ideology

bloody football!

I'm sorry to our colonial cousins on this board please know that doesn't represent Britain just a gang of yobs thinking they are hard men.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Feel free to call me an idiot, I have thick skin and broad shoulders and take no offense.
If that is the limit of your ability to refute what I have said, so be it.

But I assure you if you knew anything about English football hooligans then you would know that those protesting are not hooligans but genuine football fans.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join