It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American flag burned...in England

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by janon

Originally posted by Frakkerface
It's a bit of coloured fabric. Get over yourselves.

In that aspect, it's just a stupid kick ball game. Get over it.

Lets not go down that road, when we all know americans play an easy version of Rugby with helmets and pads, Baseball is glorified rounders with a world series, where only 2 countries in the world compete and basketball is basically netball but you can cheat by running and bouncing the ball.

Your sports are lame get over it

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
From this to BP, what else is to come out of that country. I say we arrest them and if the Brits dont agree then the USA should cut or ally off and there oil companies as well.. After we sue BP into nothing.

If they want immunity then we reply with some shock and awe loving.

Just makes me sick!

"not towards all brits, just the ones that side with this mentallity".

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by robbinsj
From this to BP, what else is to come out of that country. I say we arrest them and if the Brits dont agree then the USA should cut or ally off and there oil companies as well.. After we sue BP into nothing.

If they want immunity then we reply with some shock and awe loving.

Just makes me sick!

"not towards all brits, just the ones that side with this mentallity".

Thank God you said that last part. For a moment there I thought you were going to make yourself look stupid. Phew!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

i wonder what the brits would think that if i urinated then torched the union jack if they would have a problem with it.
Well, as a Brit, if you simply urinated & then torched the Union Jack, I'd be somewhat confused & probably amused. If you urinated on the flag & then managed to get it alight, I'd be impressed & also wondering just what you'd consumed that made inflammable piddle!
I think very few Brits would care much about our various flags being burned by foreigners, but it would depend on the circumstances. If they burned The Ulster Banner in Eire, there'd be trouble. If Argentinians burned The Union Jack, yeah, that'd annoy people. However, most of us have forgiven you colonial types for your outrageous mutinous insurgency all those years ago, so I cant see many of us getting our knickers in a twist. Burn away & lets find out... (especially if you can pee gasoline
- that I'd love to see!)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think had a Briton bought the New York Giants with borrowed money, then re-financed that deal by way of a loan secured on the New York Giants stadium & all its assets, then through a series of misjudged finance deals virtually bankrupted the club you love ... wouldn't New Yorkers be burning the British flag ? And singing Zippity Do Da as they did so ?

And wouldn't all the American hypocrites who frequent these pages have been in full support of that, free speech n'all ... that's what all "our boys" died for ... so "you guys" don't speak German ... blah blah blah blah blah ad nauseum.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Could say the same about Americans burning a British flag over the oil spill incident.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disclosure Agent
Good on them.....

I'm a Villa supporter and would happily do the same if my team ever had Amercian managment or owners !!!

I've only read up to your post so forgive me if anyone else has pointed this out but, your a Villa fan?

Owned by Randy Lerner?
An American!
en.wikipedia.org...

An American who Villa's excellent manager Martin O'Neil is arguing with over lack of funds being made available to allow O'Neil to take Villa to the next level.

But at least Lerner hasn't saddled Villa with a huge debt like Gillet and Hicks have

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
On the issue of burning the US flag over LFC, I must say it depresses me. There is a much better place & far better reasons to burn Old Glory:
Outside the US Embassy in Grosvenor Sq. for -
Imperialist war
Illegal war
Conspiring to overthrow legitimate governments
Supporting terrorism
Supporting apartheid Israel
The sub-prime mortgage fraud
Britney Spears
Etc.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Thanks for completely missing my point, guy. Enjoy your little kick ball games and I'll go watch men in tights play Rounders.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I think we all know there's a lot more things in the world to get our knickers in a twist about than the burning of a flag by an angry football fan.
I mean, are some of you really angry, or not even thinking about it and just going with the flow? Whatever, snap out of it and get irate about something more meaningful.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

And the US as a whole were responsible for Bhopal?

And the US acted so morally and responsible then didn't they?

Let's not go down that road, it get's very boring.

Shock and awe loving?
Please stop, I nearly pissed my pants laughing.
Grow up for pity's sake.

I could say so much in reply to your post but I won't out of the respect for the American friends I have on here.
It's a good job I know you are not representative of all US citizens.

[edit on 4/6/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
, but hey at least they arent Newcastle fans and have to deal with Mike Ashley.

There's many an effigy of Mike ******G Ashley been burnt.

Since 1997 we've had 17 managers though, not a healthy sign and a real detriment to our development of young home grown talent or young star purchases, therein lies the problem the board and a variety of crap chairmen.

Re the flag a mindless protest, would've been much better directed at the individuals in question but it doesn't have the same impact or connotations over here.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Lurch

OUTRAGE!! TERRORISTS! JUSTICE MUST BE DONE - LETS INVADE THEIR COUNTRY AND LIBERATE THEIR OIL!!!!!!! ENGLAND MUST BURN FOR THIS, WE MUST SALT THE EARTH AND POISON THE WATER SO THAT NO MAN WOMAN OR CHILD MY LIVE ON ENGLISH SOIL FOR A THOUSAND GENERATIONS.
THE GUY IN THE PICTURE SHOULD ROT IN GUANTANAMO UNTIL THE DAY HIS FATHER SATAN RETRIEVES HIS SOUL.
THIS DESPICABLE ACT DEMANDS WAR.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

Ah but Newcastle are back to the Premiere League this year after wondering in the wilderness, lots of work to be done though but atleast Newcastle are rid of a bunch of highly paid wasters. If Ashely is smart he will just provide money and let the football folks deal with the team, then maybe Newcastle will have a chance to rebuild. GO MAGPIES

As an American I am not to fussed over some Liverpool fan burning a flag , really there are many more important things to worry about and I am surprised this thread is still going.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
thats your typical english football hooligans, bunch of twats.

if you ever met one of them you would wonder how someone so thick, could cause so much trouble

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I find it hilarious those that want to claim "it's just a flag" but then vehemently defend their sport. It's suppose to be a pastime, not a religion. Find something more pertinent to go flag burning over.

I believe it is just a flag but it is also just a game.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
thats your typical english football hooligans, bunch of twats.

if you ever met one of them you would wonder how someone so thick, could cause so much trouble

They are protesters, not hooligans.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by janon
I find it hilarious those that want to claim "it's just a flag" but then vehemently defend their sport. It's suppose to be a pastime, not a religion. Find something more pertinent to go flag burning over.

I believe it is just a flag but it is also just a game.

I disagree with that.

People invest a lot of time, money and emotion into their beloved sport, whichever one that may be. It is a daily part of their lives and a much needed relief from the stress and strains of the world.

Which is why when someone tries to take that away from them they must make and stand and express their feelings.

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.
- Bill Shankly

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It may be hard for Americans to understand the passion involved in football here in the UK, (another difference betwen our 2 cultures,
).

Liverpool F.C. are a mighty and proud club with a long and proud tradition and a reputation and support far out-reaching the City they are based in.

They have won countless domestic and European honours and are generally renowned for the dignity with which the club has been run.

Gillet and Hicks have saddled Liverpool F.C. with an enormous debt through shady and misguided deals which have had nothing to do with Liverpool F.C. itself.

They have had their worst season for years, they have sacked their manager, there are doubts over the future's of their best players and have no clear direction at all and are a club in total disarray.

Liverpool suppoters are understandably up in arms over this.

But burning the US flag?
Just a tadge extreme isn't it.
Not as if the US have illegally invaded Liverpool or anything.
Now then I could understand it.

It boils my piss when I see people burn either the St. George's Cross or The Union Flag.
It get's me very angry indeed.
So I can understand why Americans are upset over this.

Just as I am sure our US cousins will understand our disgust at watching footage of US citizens trampling on and setting fire to a Union Flag in protest over the recent oil spillage.

BP a privately owned company who have been responsible for an environmental disaster off the US coastline.

Gillet and Hicks two American citizens who are in the process of asset stripping one of the UK's greatest sporting institutions.

Maybe US citizens should save some of their indignation for things like theenvironmental disaster that is occurring in the Niger Delta, something that dwarfs Deepwater.
And guess who are involved.
You got it.
US owned oil companies are complicit up to their necks!
www.guardian.co.uk...

And as I stated earlier, who can forget the way American owned Union Carbide conducted themselves before, during and after Bhopal.
en.wikipedia.org...

This is not an anti-US post at all.

It's an attempt to inform and help our US members understand the passions involved here and to point out there are flag burning people on both sides of the pond and that people in glass houses and all that.

And I'd just like to add that I am one of the few Brits I know who likes Baseball and think American Football is ok, but I find it funny when you call something the World Series or World Championship etc when it's only teams from the US and Canada competing, hardly the world is it! lol.

And Basketball IS the most boring sport of all.

Edit to add link.

[edit on 4/6/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow

GO MAGPIES

As an American I am not to fussed over some Liverpool fan burning a flag , really there are many more important things to worry about and I am surprised this thread is still going.

TOON ARMY

I knew you wouldn't be bothered as an obviously cultured man judged by the club you support and I'm glad the thread's still going just for the post above yours.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join