It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American flag burned...in England

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by Solomons

Well at the end of the day, If something is done that offends millions of people, regardless of if you personally do not feel its a big deal, it is not a good thing...

So it’s only polite to not do the things that will hurt them... to do otherwise is rude, selfish and un-polite... and in my opinion... its un-English!

By that sort of logic you could be apologising about everything all day and night.

Lots of things offend lots of people, turn the other cheek.

link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by Solomons

Well at the end of the day, If something is done that offends millions of people, regardless of if you personally do not feel its a big deal, it is not a good thing...

So it’s only polite to not do the things that will hurt them... to do otherwise is rude, selfish and un-polite... and in my opinion... its un-English!

By that sort of logic you could be apologising about everything all day and night.

Lots of things offend lots of people, turn the other cheek.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
1st block on a thread, apologies to the mod, few of us here on the computer thought it was amusing no offense intended.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

But some Americans have said that previously.

The only point I have been trying to make is that there are flag burning idiots on both sides of the pond.
They are passionate and get carried away, but they are not bad people.

Andwhen people are passionate or angry they sometimes just see what they want to see or only the part that they want to see and that fuels their rage further.

Hope that makes sense.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Ok, This is my first post here ive been a long time lurker but I feel strongly about this and would like to add my 2¢. Americans Burning the Union Jack In protest of BP is IMO just as unacceptable as the Brits burning the American flag

HOWEVER!!!

The reasons behind the burnings are night and day and how dare those of you that try and compare these situations with crap like well you didn't see us get in an uproar over you burning our flag.I was not there but by looking at the photos and news articles this is what im to gather.

The Reason for Union Jack Vandalism in protest of BP: The oil spill that BP kept under wraps as long as possible until it leaked is KILLING Animals and Marine Life as well as posing a health Hazard to Humans. This is messing with peoples lives! BP is being very cryptic in their statements to buy time to profit from this disaster.

Reason for US flag burning in England: A Sports Team.. your really going to try and compare? c'mon dude!

Again I do not condone either as I feel that burning a country's flag is an insult and very disrespectful to all citizens of that country. When it really only was meant to protest against and chap the hide of a certain group or persons, burning a countries flag is like slapping everyone in that country in the face. weather you targeted everyone originally or not your gonna rile up the people.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me at all.

Look at any number of videos on the television of these soccer (football) hooligans.

None of them are really the apex of the human gene pool....

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
What complete mindless yobs, they do not know their arse from their elbow.

My god to burn the Amercian flag because the owners have stitched up the common man over money and greed, is completely disgraceful. Wake up you dumb english yobs, your not the first to feel resentment and frustration. But some of us have morals and self control.

Burning the Amercian flag is unacceptable and something must be done to quell such behaviour.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by queuepolitely
reply to post by Eyeris

I can only presume as I was not there but spoke to people who were that Hicks and Gillett 2 American Leverage Buy out merchants and thoroughly unpleasant people are ripping the people off and destroying our club. Hicks bought a UK company and sacked all the staff without redundancy pay which people marched about. They have plunged our club into £350 Million of debt, have lied everyday since they bought the club and on Tuesday sacked our Manager that despite what plastic fans say we were vermentaly against.

They are expressing anger at the two American owners. If your American search Corinthians, Texas Rangers, Dallas stars, Richard Petty Motorsports, "Montreal Canadiens to get an understanding of how corrupt these guys are.

Thanks mate...

And I guess that was the smartest thing to do to draw full attention to this. I totally understand. Just some cardboards with a protest written on it would've kept the whole thing in darkness.

And we've seen American flags being burnt a hundred times already so they just picked up a habit

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Eyeris

Yeah, totally agree. These are just angry and upset people, we need to get a real grip on reality here, 2 guys destroy institutions across the globe and remain multi millionaires while others are stuck in poverty and on the dole.

Couple of blokes burn a flag and we are at a call to arms.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

That's actually what we used to do on what is now called bonfire or Guy Fawkes night. On the 31st october we'd have a bonfire and burn effigies of those we disliked. Back in the 16th century it was usually the Pope
Yeah, when I was a kid we used to sing,
"Build a bonfire, build a bonfire.
Put Maggie on the top.
Put the Council in the middle
And burn the 'f-word'ing lot!"

My point is that its not enough to just burn the symbols of that which those present have some antagonism towards. We should burn all the symbols people feel allegiance to; to demonstrate that they are just symbols. Its what each of us, as individuals, think that matters; the symbol is nothing more than a mental place-marker for a whole raft of corollery ideas & intents that, most often, have never been thought out by the majority of adherents.
I wonder if, back in the day when religion & politics were the same thing, that was the thinking behind the admonition against 'idolatry'?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Whenever an American flag is burned then so is England because we are one... OF the same mother and father...

Us in England are your relatives, and are the same who gave you life.. Dont even try disproving that!!

We love you... You are our kin... But we are tribal too... We unite in war.. But in soccer?? You had better NOT F**k with the team you buy.. They did.. Soccer in Liverpool goes beyond class and geneology... Beyond money.. Its about passion... These people sell their home to get the money to see liverpool play.. That does not even cut it... IN liverpool people PAINT their houses for what team they support... Red for liverpool, blue for Everton, and even marriages have broken up because of it!! ITs an obsession....

These owners never understood that...

Thats why whenever an American flag is burnt then so is mine... For we are one... And family.. But you have to understand a few things...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Americans pleease understand, the majority of Liverpool supporters are chavy maniacs who rely on job seekers allowance!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentStigma

So how would you have reacted if a load of Indians burnt the US flag after Bhopal.
America is not responsible for the actions of Union Carbide, how many thousands of people died, and are still dying, as a result of that accident.

Or how about if Nigerians started burning The Stars and Stipes over the ongoing environmental disaster that is the Niger Delta.
I don't think all Americans should be held responsible for the irresponsibility of Exxon Mobil.

The common denominator?
Global Corporations who think they have carte blanche to do whatever they want and have no regard for the well being of human beings or the world we live in.

That is where the anger should be directed towards.

[edit on 4/6/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Congress and President Wilsion Burned the Constitution in 1913. I guess no one remembers that.

It's a pity to Burn a flag over a sport. It proves once again Sense is not Common.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Your logic speaks volumes, thanks for sharring (sic). Now go brush your tooth.
Yeah, I'm a great believer in the power of sites such as ATS, where a huge variety of opinion can become the source material for developing an informed view on any given topic, so, in that spirit, I read other's & add my own, generally governed by logic, occasionally by instinct or emotion. Whatever I "sharr", I try to add something.
Noting you used the phrase "brush your tooth" in a hostile post earlier, I'm minded to think you object to the post of mine to which you replied. I invite you to state your objection clearly, since we can only infer some poor attempt at sarcasm from your quoted reply. Of course, it could well be that you didn't intend to fail at sarcasm, but just dashed off a reply that makes little sense.
Please, set us straight. What do you mean? Also, please explain what was the point of the phrase: "Now go brush your tooth"?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

hayden i dont think most americans will now what jsa is! i take it from youre comments youre either a manc from london or a chelsea fan? therfore youre comments do nothing to bother scousers but heres one back youre a pathetic childish idiot who quite frankly doent belong on a forum try looking at the sun newspaper site its more on par with youre intelligence level

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

think i can answer that for you m8 the yanks have an opinion that all us brits have bad teeth do to the fact that we dont really use dental insurance the way they do forcing there child to look perfect and all american ...its down to there education system methinks and the way they have been dubed down for the last twenty + yrs laughable really though i am suprised its not the other way round the amount of bs they spk

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofbrush

plz excuse types im a bit drunk now :OP

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Yea, sry I am very patriotic about the Flag. Burn the white house and I could give a rats ass
Ah, the psychological imperative of culture. "The last 4 letters of American are I Can".
Tell us robbinsj, is there anything you couldn't give about a particular topic?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join