It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American flag burned...in England

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

Basically sums up how i feel about flag burning, people need to get a grip and stop getting so worked up about something so insignificant.

I could see spontaneous flag burning happening in cases like the middle east and stuff, but in England over a sport related event, it just baffles me, if your going to burn the flag make sure it's a damn good reason. But it looks like they got what they wanted, publicity.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think it's extremely immature to get that upset over a sport. Especially soccer because it is so freaking boring. I'd rather watch Golf.

I feel the same way about those that riot after their team loses and even more so about those that riot when their team wins. That one I just don't get at all. "We won! Let's destroy our city!"

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
Well there are American fans of LFC too, maybe there will be less now. I wouldnt read too much into the flag burning just a silly thing to do is all, of course the owners did make a mess of things for LFC, but hey at least they arent Newcastle fans and have to deal with Mike Ashley.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Flags are a distraction and a divider amongst human beings.

Do not look to flags for honor or courage. Look to your children and your fellow brothers whom wish the same things as you do.

The people of the world need to give up their flags and not fall for the trap the corporate elite have set.

Do not attach your emotions to an inanimate object that is just a piece of cloth, rather then shedding your brothers blood.

Human beings can be irrational and too emotional.

The burning of the flag is not a question of your patriotism, but a statement towards the U.S. Corporate government.

The statement is for the U.S. corporate elite to burn.

If you check my signature it will become more obvious too some.

Being a patriot is not a bad thing, but being a blind patriot might leave you more devastated then you began.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

Yeah, I agree, apart from preferring to watch golf.

I've known grown men cry when their football team has been relagated, yet never shed a tear when their parents have died. Very strange.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
reply to post by gambon

Most American units have the same above the regimental level also, they are basically streamers that attach to the flag, usually only seen at the headquarters and not in the fiels these days also. Early units sometimes sewed honors into the actually flag, most prominently during the War Between the States.

[edit on 6/3/2010 by DarkStormCrow]

Yes sounds very similar ,Uk definatley used penants , I think some of the really fancy embroidered"medals/awards"
worn by Regimental chiefs are also symbolic of the battle honours , like the ones Nelson wore when the French Sniper spotted him....

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Good on them.....

I'm a Villa supporter and would happily do the same if my team ever had Amercian managment or owners !!!

What the hell do they know about proper Football, bugger all so why let them manager / fund our teams.....

Don't mess with our Football and we wont burn your precious flag
simple as that....

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

They love the football club just as much, in fact they would probably fight you all , it means thatt much to them...ask a fan of Liverpool fc about the history..

I will send this thread to a chap on night radio here in the uk , see if he asks about it on air www.talksport.net...

STOP PRESS RIGHT ALEX JONES ON ABOVE LINK IN 30 MINS >>>>bilderburg.......

Villain here as well ..no way........and we do have an American owner....He good though ....

[edit on 3-6-2010 by gambon]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

In reality, I watch neither. I've tried watching soccer but I just don't get why people like it so much. But I LOVE baseball which a lot of people think is boring too. Go figure. But you'll never find me burning a flag over it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
After living in England most of my life, I can tell you that the UK regards flags differently to the US. Up until recently, if you had lots of Union Jack's on your property, car, work desk, etc., they'd think you're being somewhat proud of being British... maybe too proud... maybe borderline fascist proud. In the US, it's different - the stars and stripes are displayed anywhere and everywhere. In the UK, if you stick a flagpole up with the Union Jack, you'd get a reaction - it would cause a stir in the neighbourhood, whereas in the US, there's flagpoles galore. So, in summary, I think the Brits don't really have an attachment to flags in general, hence the burning incident. In any case, I don't support flag burning of any kind as it is very offensive and ignorant.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gambon

They love the football club just as much, in fact they would probably fight you all , it means thatt much to them...ask a fan of Liverpool fc about the history..

I will send this thread to a chap on night radio here in the uk , see if he asks about it on air www.talksport.net...

STOP PRESS RIGHT ALEX JONES ON ABOVE LINK IN 30 MINS ( 03.25 UK TIME)>>>>bilderburg.......

Villain here as well ..no way........and we do have an American owner....He good though ....

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

Football/soccer is a non stop game split into two halves, where as American football seems to stop and start too much. I guess it's just what you are used to and have grown up with.

We have baseball over here, but we call it Rounders, and is played by all the girls in school when the lads are playing football.
... I'm sure there are some differences between the two rules wise .

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
reply to post by janon

Football/soccer is a non stop game split into two halves, where as American football seems to stop and start too much. I guess it's just what you are used to and have grown up with.

We have baseball over here, but we call it Rounders, and is played by all the girls in school when the lads are playing football.

and when the boys are playing footy , the lads are playing rugby...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i wish someone to tell flag manufactures to start making flags out of flame retardent materials

Good idea - and even better would be to make it out of a material that would go up like fireworks and set everything within 10 feet of it on fire. That would be some real Shock and Awe.

To me, it's a very stupid symbolic gesture. It's not as if the American government or citizenship is behind the FC's problems. Really, what does it have to do with America? Should people start burning the British flag because of the oil spill, even while knowing that Britain and its citizens have nothing to do with it?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bagari

Maybe the new pipe is directly linked to Milford Haven.....

Sorry didnt mean to be off topic , couldnt resist...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by gambon

Originally posted by Tykonos
reply to post by janon

and when the boys are playing footy , the lads are playing rugby...

Ok you got me there.

We did actually play rugby on a few occasions but the school was into football in a big way.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

It doesn't matter... I lived in Europe for three years when I was younger - an American running a club team into the red and then firing a head coach is a flag-burning offense. The way those guys feel about their soccer is the way my girlfriend feels about watching the Pittsburgh Steelers. When they lose I have a miserable weekend - and God help me if anyone, let alone a foreigner manipulates the front office. As an American who was born in D.C., I take no offense to this... sorry a douchebag Yank effed with your team guys. Given 'em hell...

As a rabid fan of the 'Skins, just be glad the owner of your team isn't Daniel Snyder...

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Personally, I don't care for it when people disrespect our flag. It is the symbol of our nation and deserves the respect of all Americans.

Foreigners I place into a different category. Maybe they should think about how they'd feel if someone were to put a torch to their flag in the media just for the sake of doing it, but I guess when the issue is as important as a sporting event, judgement suffers.

Some here seem to be unaware that the US Supreme Court ruled some years back that burning the American flag is a form of speech protected by the Constitution of the US.

Now, this upset a lot of folks, especially the older folks, but I tried to be philosophical about it. It is after all only a symbol and well, you can go to the store and buy a flag and it's yours because you paid for it. But, if you were to tear down somebody else's flag and burn it, that'd be theft and destruction of property.

I'll admit that when I was a younger man, seeing Americans burn the flag really got my blood to boiling, but I guess I've seen so many things over the course of my life now that it really doesn't bother me much anymore. I guess it's lost its shock value.

One thing you can say about the US, we do love our liberty and the Bill of Rights, except for that pesky old Second Amendment, is very popular with the masses.

Some would like to see an amendment to the Constitution to protect the flag, but I oppose it because you just can't have an amendment for every insult to one's sensibilities that every creep in the country can dream up.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2010/6/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

Baseball is boring as piss

How the hell can you even compare the 2 lol...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think america is partly to blame for this lol.

OK before you kill me, let me explain first.

To other people in the world Americans can sometimes appear to be a little "too" obsessed over their flag and the whole symbol of freedom and patriotism etc To some standing from the outside it seems like some sort of cult or religion etc

Infact sometimes some people from the rest of the world could see it as some sort of weakness to attack and get a "reaction" out of, which is why we see flag burning.

Best thing to do is ignore it, it really is just a flag in the end.

But seriously some of these football fans are REALLY obsessed, I've seen some with a VERY short tempers shouting at the tv screen like it killed their mother! I take a step back and slowly walk out of the room when that happens, and that's before they indulge in alcohol, after that they become like DEMONS on earth! RUN for your lives!

[edit on 3-6-2010 by _Phoenix_]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join