It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 confirmed murdered and 25 injured after Gunman runs amok in Whitehaven, Egremont and Seascale, Cu

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I wonder if other psychos are going to get confidence boosters over crap like this. Plenty of young nutters in my town who stab people for saying the wrong thing. I wonder if any of the few with guns are crazy enough to do something like this.

Probably doesn't help with the amount of inbred crackheads we got in various parts of the country.

I feel deeply for the people involved in this tragedy and i hope bullsh*t like this never happens in this once glorious country ever again.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

So far we havent had a gangbanger or a thug go off like this.

Its usually people who no one would think had it in them.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I had missed the news today

had my head in the setting up of an event at Stanstead on Friday all day.

Im very shocked - I know gun control after Hungerford and Dunblane was shutting the door after the madman had bolted - but this goes beyond what I thought could possibly happen.

The answer is simple - banning those of us who had guns (legally) didnt solve any problems nor did it reduce the potential of this happening again.

I suppose the recompense is that he didn't have any automatic weapons but that's small comfort for the victims relatives.

I should explain that my advocacy before the ban was for a more regulated system rather than an outright ban - but again would this have solved anything?

My heart goes out to the shock and hurt that that fairly small community must be feeling.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I have lost too many friends over the years to many different causes, I understand your grief, but never have I had to wait like you are...I know it means little but my thoughts are very much with you at this traumatic time.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

All the regulations, bans and cameras in the world couldn't prevent this and now cops play catch-up trying to find him and stop him.

Safety is an illusion no matter how much you pretend to give up for it.

This is why i hate the massive invasion of privacy due to CCTV
etc etc all this monitoring crap does nothing to protect us!
all it does instead is spy on us.gather Data,profile people.

At most all the spy crap will be able to do is tell
the story after the event! As always.
It failed to stop this killing spree.

Oh but wait its for our safety NOT

my thoughts go out to the victims and families

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I put money on the friend he shot at the taxi rank was boinking his ex-wife, either before or after the divorce. Maybe the guys mother knew all along and he's found out everyone has been laughing behind his back, so he goes potty...

Very similar to my thoughts - but I'm not putting money on this one, it's too wacky.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

c: Stagnant island mentality. Society has gone soft and anything seen as 'manly' or being like the USA is considered 'wierd' or 'gung ho'

That is about as far away from the true attitude of my town and anywhere else i have ever lived ever.

Don't rely on Politics, Films and MSM to give you an image of what the UK is like. You have no idea.

Its turning into a hellhole and i'm getting sick of it.

Especially the attitude between people my kind of age (18). Its all about Gang culture and stabbing people. Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So the guy (Bird) was an ex Sellafielid worker... Don't know if that's important.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I have given up engaging in the 'Gun' debate with most Americans. It's pointless and the gulf between most Americans and non-Americans on this issue is huge. Gun ownership in the USA is a genie which will never be put back in the bottle. So be it.

What I don't understand is why whenever there is a tragedy perpetrated by a gun totting madman in another country, some American posters on this board feel the need to evangelise about the benefits and joys of gun possession. "It would never have happened if.....". They ignore the contradictory evidence on their door step, they fail to see that their hectoring is seen by others as insecurity.

The main driver of gun ownership in the USA is not the protection of individual freedoms, The constitution, or anything else, but fear. More specifically, fear of their fellow citizens. And that is because, unlike the UK and many other societies, social mixing between different social classes and ethnic groups is very,very limited.

By advocating the ownership and concealed carrying of firearms as the road to a healthy, sane and safe society, they show just how out of step they are with the rest of the planet.

Anyway, I'm of to the pub, now where did I leave my Glock?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Fang

Gave you a star for that post, very well put.
I really dont see how arming everbody will lower killing sprees like we witnessed today?They come around very rarely here in England, if we arm everybody then these cases would be more frequent. I wouldn't like to give the impression to the younger generation that guns are a good thing either.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
found a brief history of this man and the possible reasons for his crazy actions

www.vancouversun.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

It's got nothing to do with landmass, population or whatever. It's not even anything to do with gun control. I could go out tomorrow, make a few phone calls and for a couple of hundred quid buy a hand gun.

Actually, that comment was, if you go back through the thread, in reply to a snipe by blupblup about how much more often this happens in the US. I was pointing out that you cant directly compare our having an incident like this (he claimed) once a year to your having one (he claimed) once every 10 years. You have to account for the difference in the size of the countries to make a comparison. Thats all. It wasnt a comment on why this guy did what he did.

Originally posted by woogleuk
If you live in a country that is so paranoid that you gotta take a gun to the bathroom just to take a dump, then you are doomed to fail.

Im actually going to ignore the little swipes you are taking at the US, rather than respond to them.

This thread really isnt about gun laws. Its about this shooting. I think we should stick to the topic rather than joust about whose country is better.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Fang

We need more people like you in here

Star for that post, I would give you flag as well if possible but...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by noangels

Puts his mother out of her misery then bumps off the solicitor in charge of negotiations over his mothers will. It's hard to piece the whole thing together and doesn't explain why he went on to murder several other Cumbrians, my personal theory is that he has harboured murderous thoughts throughout the most part of his life. It's just a shame this had to happen and very strange at the same time as we are not used to these sort of crimes in the England, not since the 90s anyway.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Everton

Everton I agree with you if we were allowed to carry guns here like they are in America i don't think this would have necessarily stopped this guy ayt all,because no one would have been carrying one or own one for self defense because this sort of thing doesn't happen in places like this,so owning a gun wouldn't have stopped this.However I don't agree with disarming the public and making us all sitting ducks,I know this wouldna't have helped me in such a situation because i wouldbn't be carrying one BUT i would like to own one to defend myself if i knew the danger was coming from intruders and such

Also these gun laws in Engalnd are stupid anyway because i know guns are everywehre here in the uk illegally,its just not our culture todo such things fortunately

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Everton
reply to post by Fang

Gave you a star for that post, very well put.
I really dont see how arming everbody will lower killing sprees like we witnessed today?They come around very rarely here in England, if we arm everybody then these cases would be more frequent. I wouldn't like to give the impression to the younger generation that guns are a good thing either.

I wont, that's just another American fantasy. Arming everyone will make everything worst since it would grant the use "self defense" to anyone since everybody would be armed.

People would start to kill each other for the silliest of all arguments and argue "he was armed so I shot him to defend my self" and it would be ok. Guns must be eliminated along with the ignorance of those who preach it's use.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Everton

his workmates were taking the piss out of him not being able to pull the ladies mate,guess that was the straw that broke the camels back

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

c: Stagnant island mentality. Society has gone soft and anything seen as 'manly' or being like the USA is considered 'wierd' or 'gung ho'

That is about as far away from the true attitude of my town and anywhere else i have ever lived ever.

Don't rely on Politics, Films and MSM to give you an image of what the UK is like. You have no idea.

Its turning into a hellhole and i'm getting sick of it.

Especially the attitude between people my kind of age (18). Its all about Gang culture and stabbing people. Pathetic.

I didn't mean to brand any particular town mate, indeed I've worked with people from and around Whitehaven and they weren't *soft* but what I mean is that British society as a whole is soft.
The gangs are cowards. They are brave in numbers but can only fight with knives.
Back in my day it was still fist-fights but that soon changed to shootings and knives etc.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
seriously AK47 assault rifles and even rocket launchers have been found here just on regular searches,so how many others are here?

When you ban things you create curiosity and a new arket for criminals to exploit,its just a matter of time before an illegal firearm is used in such an offence,its just upto now its criminals using these against criminals

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by noangels

Maybe he was harbouring a medical issue down under

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join