It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 confirmed murdered and 25 injured after Gunman runs amok in Whitehaven, Egremont and Seascale, Cu

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Gunman on run after person shot dead and several injured in Whitehaven

www.guardian.co.uk

Police reported "a number of fatalities" with others injured and warned the public to stay indoors as they hunted a gunman across the Lake District following shooting incidents in Whitehaven, Egremont and Seascale, Cumbria.

Armed officers are seeking a 52-year-old man named as William Bird and believed to be driving a dark grey or silver Citroen Picasso registration ND55 ZFC.

Police said anyone seeing him or his car should not approach him but call 999. They also warned the public across a growing area of Cumbria to stay indoors and not move until further notice.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.independent.co.uk...
www.telegraph.co.uk...
www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
This sounds pretty devastating. As is stated above a number of fatalities have been reported. At least the police know who they are looking for.

Anyone up in Whitehaven or surrounding area?

This is the first time something like this has happened in the U.K. in a while. Hopefully it is an isolated incident and not a sign of things to come.

Clearly this is breaking news and will develop over the next few hours feel free to post any new developments.

The Times is reporting it as a Drive-By shooting.

Police have issued the identity of a man they are hunting in connection with a series of fatal shootings from a moving car in the Whitehaven area of Cumbria this morning. Officers said they are looking for Derrick Bird, 52, of Rowrah near Frizington.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

My thoughts go out to the friends and family of those killed and injuried. Hopefully the police can apprehend Derrick Bird as soon as possible.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
A statement from the Police.

A Cumbria police statement said: "Police working to apprehend a man in connection with shots fired in Whitehaven have extended their search to the Seascale area so we are urging all members of the public in the Seascale area to go indoors and stay there until further notice. "Anyone in the West Lakes area from Whitehaven to Ravenglass are also being urged to shelter."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Eyewitnesses.

One witness, Alex Hannah, 68, of Great Broughton, said had heard a loud bang as he drove out of Church Street, turning right into Duke Street in Whitehaven. “As I turned right I saw people standing around the taxi rank looking stunned. As I turned past the police station I saw all these officers running out and realised something was major going on so I moved over to the right-hand lane.

Then a car pulled up on the left, stopping at the lights,” he said. “I saw a man with a large shotgun and his windscreen was smashed. I drove through the red light to get into Lowther Street and get out of the way. I got home safely but was very shaken.”

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Radio 5Live just reported at least 4 people have been killed. This is horrific.

This is a picture of the man they are looking for,Derrick Bird, 52, of Rowrah near Frizington.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

What the hell happened here?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant has closed it's gates and told employee's to stay away source

I hope this psycho isn't heading there.

+46 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This may be a little off topic, but doesn't this situation demonstrate the foolishness of disarming the law abiding public? A criminal has a gun and entire regions are being told to hide in their homes?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The police think he is now on foot in the Boot area? They are SPECIFICALLY warning people in that area to stay indoors and that armed police are on the trail of Mr Bird.

BBC News are reporting 11 people had been shot. The first shooting took place in a Taxi Rank. Derrick Bird is a taxi driver. Apparently a farmer was shot at point blank range just down the road.

I believe this is a picture of the 1st victim of the spree in the taxi rank in Whitehaven.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
I hope this psycho isn't heading there.

You don't have to worry about that, it's locked down, probably armed professionals guarding... In a way it would be ideal if that's where he was heading, it would be over and done with very quickly.

It seems like a passionate sort of thing, like some guy just flipped with no real plan. Maybe it something to do with organised crime but I think this guy has lost the plot for some reason, the news said he shot at anyone who came close? I don't know, very odd - just wait for the 'mind control' and MKultra comments

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I lived in Millom for a few years, and Sky News said his latest car may have been dumped near there! Outside of Carlisle there is almost no police around as nearly all crime is dealing with addicts and drunks, or some domestic violence. A rare murder happened in Millom (domestic violence) when we were up there and they had to call in police from Carlisle to do all the work as the small towns, and even most of the bigger ones, don't know what to do with serious crime.

+34 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Some old guy with a shotgun running wild with free reign murdering at will.

All the regulations, bans and cameras in the world couldnt prevent this and now cops play catch-up trying to find him and stop him.

Safety is an illusion no matter how much you pretend to give up for it.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
This may be a little off topic, but doesn't this situation demonstrate the foolishness of disarming the law abiding public? A criminal has a gun and entire regions are being told to hide in their homes?

Would you like many armed men out on the streets? What if they don't have the latest news with a photo of the suspect and they come across someone openly armed? "Excuse me, are you the nutter?" Or is it best to shoot him first to make sure?

---

If he is heading to Millom, he won't find many to shoot as it's Wednesday - everything shuts up at lunchtime today.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This is crazy.

A landlord on the line, Shaun King, on BBC News 24 now from Boot. He has taken people in from outside and locked up, 25 people in total. He said it is quite a wooded area. And the Police are using Helicopters and are flying very low.

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muppetus Galacticus
What if they don't have the latest news with a photo of the suspect and they come across someone openly armed? "Excuse me, are you the nutter?" Or is it best to shoot him first to make sure?

The guy who just rolled up and pointed a shotgun at you, yeah that guy, he's the "bad" guy.

Doesnt take a rocket scientist.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

What if they don't have the latest news with a photo of the suspect and they come across someone openly armed? "Excuse me, are you the nutter?" Or is it best to shoot him first to make sure?

The guy who just rolled up and pointed a shotgun at you, yeah that guy, he's the "bad" guy.

Doesnt take a rocket scientist.

If he's already pointing the gun at you, I seriously doubt you'll have a chance to defend yourself whatever you're carrying, IMO.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The original shooting in Whitehaven was followed up with shootings in Egremont and Seascale.

A map of the area.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

If he's already pointing the gun at you, I seriously doubt you'll have a chance to defend yourself whatever you're carrying, IMO.

That may very well be the case but that is a far cry from the mythical Wild West imagery of random people shooting each other across streets you were pushing.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
More air support coming in from Lancashire - Sky News

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
A better map of the area.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

That may very well be the case but that is a far cry from the mythical Wild West imagery of random people shooting each other across streets you were pushing.

That's fair enough

Sky News - Carlisle local newspaper says "at least ten fatalities"

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
A better map of the area.

Boot is between Ravenglass and Ulpha.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join