It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 confirmed murdered and 25 injured after Gunman runs amok in Whitehaven, Egremont and Seascale, Cu

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
Care to back that one up?... who is taking cheap pot shots at British culture?!?

Although not directed at me, I'll happily reply.
There have been several people on here saying that if we weren't so "archaic" and if we allowed people to carry guns, then this would never have happened.
That's just BS.... it really is.
As several Brits have pointed out... we don't like guns, we don't want them, we don't think they're a fashion accessory and not being "Allowed" to carry them is a non issue.
If you belong to a gun club or go Clay shooting or hunting or any number of things, you can have a gun.

Also someone mentioned about if everyone had guns then this would have been over in a flash.... what about the shooting over there on a base? Where roughly the same amount of people were killed? Fort Hood I believe.... A base Full of guns and the guy still killed 13 people was it?

Or perhaps the 14 killed in Binghampton??

Why wasn't this guy gunned down by all the gun-totin' citizens?

So yeah, your theory isn't very good is it?

I get that the UK was never a big gun culture , but to strip the people of having the OPTION to protect themselves , I believe is Wrong.

As many, many people have said.... we Don't want guns..... it's not that we're not allowed or we have no rights.... we DO NOT WANT them.... do you understand?

If there was a vote..... 99.9% of people would be against guns.

We're not robbed of our right, our government isn't taking our guns so they can round us all up..... we don't want them.
We don't care for guns, we settle our differences without them.... usually.

That's why, as I previously said, we have one of these incidents about every 10-15 years.... you have about 2-3 a year.

Do you know why?

Because you have GUNS

[edit on 2/6/10 by blupblup]

BS mate.

The figure would be more like 30/70 as it stands now. Times have changed from the end of the cold war in the 1990s.

I am a gun owner and have seen how the ptb have made it almost impossible for the casual citizen to want to own guns.

You have to jump through umpteen hoops, be scrutinised by gun clubs who fear that you might be the next michael ryan and have your details plastered all over police databases.

The reason you seem to think 99.9% of citizens don't want guns is because:

a: the UK is heavily over-urbanised and what you see on msm is hardly ever covering rural life.

b: people are brainwashed with football, beer and tits on the page 3 of certain tabloids. It has successfully dumbed down the populace very well I must say.

c: Stagnant island mentality.
Society has gone soft and anything seen as 'manly' or being like the USA is considered 'wierd' or 'gung ho'

Why is it fine for the ptb to own handguns and have small private guards tooled up but not the sensible citizen who wants to protect himself in his own home?

Instead certain police seem to advocate doing nothing but letting them rob you blind while you should desperately wait for the cops to show up to clean the mess up.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by WatchRider]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
This is very shocking indeed... been keeping up with it since it broke this morning.
This is not only shocking for such a rural area, this is shocking for England in general.... things like this very rarely happen.

And now the guy's killed himself, we may never know why he did it.

My thoughts are with anyone affected by this.

I put money on the friend he shot at the taxi rank was boinking his ex-wife, either before or after the divorce. Maybe the guys mother knew all along and he's found out everyone has been laughing behind his back, so he goes potty...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The Queen has pitched in with some words of support.

Tonight the Queen said she was "deeply shocked" by the shootings and shared the nation's "grief and horror".

www.guardian.co.uk...

I hope she or Cameron or both visit the area to show their support and solidarity. I think the people of Cumbria would appreciate that.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
When the world economy crashes and people lose everything they worked for all their lives ,there is going to be alot of Angry people out there who will want to take their frustrations out on Anyone !!!!!! there will be alot more of this happening ..........

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
For pity's sake, how many times do we have to repeat ourselves.

This thread is NOT about gun control.

It is about the tragic and awful events that occurred in Cumbria today.

What happened, how it happened, when it happened and the affect it has / will have on that community.
A community that has suffered a lot recently I may add.

And if you hadn't noticed some ATS members are very closely linked to those events.

I agree, debate about guns laws etc is desirable, but not here and not now!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Latest reports are his mother is still alive, but his twin brother may be shot?

Right now, unfortunately, there is still a lot of rumor out there. We probably wont get the whole story for a couple hours.

But the 12 dead has come down to 5 I think.

link   
reply to post by Muppetus Galacticus

I pretty much doubt this is an isolated incident. I lived in Europe for almost 10 years and I know that the news channels don't like to to show everything that really happens involving crime...

They are free to swear as much as they want and to show sexual scenes even to children but when it comes to what really happens with crime in Europe there is censoring to no end.

Even gun crimes have increased, even with the gun ban, because CRIMINALS get their weapons illegally...

Crime in the UK has increased, more so after the gun ban and since the Labor Party has been in power.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

The Tories said Labour had presided over a decade of spiralling violence.
In the decade following the partys election in 1997, the number of recorded violent attacks soared by 77 per cent to 1.158million - or more than two every minute.

The figures, compiled from reports released by the European Commission and United Nations, also show:

The UK has the second highest overall crime rate in the EU.
It has a higher homicide rate than most of our western European neighbours, including France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
The UK has the fifth highest robbery rate in the EU.
It has the fourth highest burglary rate and the highest absolute number of burglaries in the EU, with double the number of offences than recorded in Germany and France.
But it is the naming of Britain as the most violent country in the EU that is most shocking. The analysis is based on the number of crimes per 100,000 residents.
In the UK, there are 2,034 offences per 100,000 people, way ahead of second-placed Austria with a rate of 1,677.

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

What I wonder is this... shotguns are still legal, I think, in the UK.... I wonder if the Labor Party is going to use this as an excuse to also ban shutguns....

It should be apparent by now that when you disarm the people, crime INCREASES, including gun crimes, but some are not seeing the connection for some reason.

Anyway, let's hope no more people are harmed or killed by this maniac.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

What happened, how it happened, when it happened and the affect it has / will have on that community.
A community that has suffered a lot recently I may add.

And if you hadn't noticed some ATS members are very closely linked to those events.

I agree, debate about guns laws etc is desirable, but not here and not now!

Agreed , this should be saved for a later date and time.
Two

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Tragic. For this to happen in such a quiet and peaceful area makes it even more sad. My thoughts and condolences to the victims and their families.

link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Yeah, its frustrating when people forget the dead and wounded to rub in a political point.

We hear all the "Haha, how do you like your guns now?" comments from the UK every time we have a shooting too.

link   

Originally posted by richierich
Take away the guns from the good folks and only the bad ones have them...real great policy.

I suppose thats a very true statement!

BTW was only referring to the USA because its true... these rampages do usually happen over there but i would say its because of the population rate per country....

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Yes it is a tragic event, but you cannot discount the very real possibility that the Labor Party will use this for more gun control... It has happened before, and will happen again.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Good lord,the guy actually killed more than one of his so called "friends" it seems.

This makes it even more horrible IMO,as those who kill their friends must be on another level to those who have lost their minds,but take it out on their percieved "enemies."

Its one thing to try to shoot someone who has done you wrong/screwed your life up/got you sacked etc(although that is completley irrational and wrong)but to kill your friends?

Friends are those we relate to,and love to be around through choice.
They are those people we love for their characters,morals,interests and viewpoints.

They are the people who you know will stand by you,in any situation.

Someone who kills their friends is most seriously screwed up IMO.
What a horrible event to take place.
If only the guy had got the help he so obviously needed before resorting to this massacre.

My thoughts are with the victims families.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by stumason

Latest reports are his mother is still alive, but his twin brother may be shot?

Right now, unfortunately, there is still a lot of rumor out there. We probably wont get the whole story for a couple hours.

But the 12 dead has come down to 5 I think.

His mother has NOT been shot, neither (afaik) has his brother, i don't think he has a brother.

The fatality list is still at 12, but 5 names have been released.

Just been on the phone to my mum, they are keeping the critical injured at west cumberland hospital in whitehaven, but they have had to send some the the seriously // not so seriously injured to other hospitals around the county, even as far as newcastle due to lack of beds.

She said it is horrendous, one young lass got hit in the chest and arm and is in a critical condition on her ward.

[edit on 2/6/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Darren Rewcastle. One of the taxi drivers who was murdered in what is believed to have been the first killings of the day.

Garry Purdham. A young farmer and father of two shot dead trimming a hedge in Gosforth.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Mr Bowden said: “Everyone at the club is shocked and devastated to hear this unbelievable and tragic news. ”Garry Purdham was quite simply a gentleman and a real pleasure to know.

”As a player he was as honest and industrious on the pitch as indeed he was off it.

”He would think nothing of doing a stint on the farm before turning up to play professional rugby league.

”He had a wonderful, calm and mature temperament coupled with a dry sense of humour and as a result was one of those players that his team mates looked up to.

”He had the respect of the whole rugby league community in West Cumbria and will be missed by all involved in it. ”Our thoughts are very much with all Garry’s family at this very sad time.”

www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk...

This is the reality of what happened today.

Rest in Peace.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers are with the families and residents. I wish these events never occured and a little piece of our Humanity dies when they do.

To those who like to play "If you were like us", remember that people are -different- across this world and that what holds true for you does not hold true for me.

One of the of the best reasons to come to ATS is to be reminded you should not be stuck in one worldview.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
I suppose thats a very true statement!

BTW was only referring to the USA because its true... these rampages do usually happen over there but i would say its because of the population rate per country....

The UK surpases the U.S. in crimes, including gun crimes. The only difference is that in the U.S. crimes are frequently shown on tv meanwhile in the UK, with some exceptions like this one, they don't like to show the crimes occurring there.

Newspapers will show you more than the TV news in Europe the crimes that are happening there, but even then crimes are not as publicized as in the U.S.

The U.K. has 2034 crimes per 100,000 people, meanwhile the U.S. has 466 crimes per 100,000 people.

Most European countries have more crimes than the U.S. The U.S. news channels just show the crimes more often than European news.

BTW, I am not trying to diminish in any way this tragic event. Any crime is bad imo.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I knew Garry, had a few pints with him in the rugby club round the corner
i'm still dreading hearing the rest of the names as they are released, is there going to be other friends? I hope not.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Man. I know it doesn't count for much but once again i am sorry. I feel quite upset myself and i have never visited Cumbria or know any of these people.

It is just so out of order. So wrong.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I knew Garry, had a few pints with him in the rugby club round the corner
i'm still dreading hearing the rest of the names as they are released, is there going to be other friends? I hope not.

Sorry to hear the lost of your friend. Let's hope that they can stop any more killings, and no more lives are lost.

No matter how desperate things are i could never understand the people that do things like this.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join