It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-death experiences 'explained': Scientists believe it's the last gasp of a dying brain

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by v3_exceed

This is incredibly easy to explain. Do you realize how long it takes someone to have a complex dream? Seconds. So, while it would seem to the individual upon waking that they had just left this "afterlife" or whatever, it happened before her brain shutdown. No mystery there!

Harder to explain are those who have NDE's while under anesthesia. Those drugs make it so that your brain cannot have lucid thoughts, and yet people remember their NDE's with vivid detail - most NDE'ers say their NDE was even MORE vivid than normal.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Hi all

There's a new NDE book out written by Kevin Nelson, a neurologist at the University of Kentucky titled, "The Spiritual Doorway in the Brain" published by Dutton. I have just posted some details at:

anomalies-australiancomments.blogspot.com...

Happy reading.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I feel sorry for anyone who believes a scientist. Scientists will never acknowledge the existence of the spirit or the afterlife.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
this is nothing new, scientists, skeptics and non-believers have always theorized this is what happens. That NDE's are nothing more than a burst of electrical activity and release of '___' in the brain. They still can't prove this is the case, and frankly to believe that is the case is quite a limiting and bleak view on life, and doesn't help take the fear away from dying. I would say theres more likely hood of spirituality and the afterlife being proven rather than disproven.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
So from that link it says they placed things on high shelves in hospital rooms to see if people brought back to life actually SAW what was hidden on those shelves.....

What were the results?

I know the results. They saw what was on the shelf.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Belief, what a wonderful thing!
edit on 8-1-2011 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Here's my theory, I'm a simply engineering technician in the search for immortality ONLY for the soul purpose of being able to buy time so that I can find the meaning of life. Anyway, my theory or proof or w.e you feel comfortable calling it, (i'm bilingual mind my spelling.) is,

1. Energy Cannot be created or destroyed.
2. Grab me some nothing and show me it.
3. Take something and turn it into nothing infront of me. (ex. take dirt or dust or water and like crush it into nothing or boil it into steam it's still there in another form.

When you die you get transformed into something else nothign ever disapears, it only goes out of sight. The only thing i've EVER seen go out of sight, is somethign going into a black whole because NOBODY know's where that leads except maybe a tiny black denser than reality and whoever feels they can prove this wrong's head, ball. I'm not being sarcastic im not trivializing this thread or life, i'm not trying to be intelligent or egocentric i'm trying to make a point. I'm trying to explain everything as simply and logically as possible so everyone can stop fighting and asking why!?!?! so everyone can life in peace and harmony. Why, do we struggle for scraps of paper when we should struggle to give eachother the same feelings of comfort happiness and safety. people make me sick. if it weren't for the fact that somewhere inside ALL people have the potential for good things, I would make it my mission to stockpile plutonium and blow up the earth to safe everyone and especially mother nature some grief.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
life in peace... live**** anyway sorry I type too fast my brain goes zoom when I think of things I just pick the things in my head that people have had time to actually prove undeniably. Sorry i'm too lazy to go grab all my sources but if I did, I think i'd be able to release my report at around 80 years of age.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I don't buy it. Yes, I believe our spirits carry on after our bodies die. I have many reasons for this, but I'll list my two most personal. The first is that I have visited by "deceased" relatives, and one of things they told me saved their daughter who alive and well. The second is that I had these same sensations a few months ago, the experience I had was exactly as those who have had near death experiences, bright white light, calming, I heard wind in my though, the thing is I was dying, dead, or anything of the sort. After I experienced this the horrible visions I had been having disappeared.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
ohh God!! (not religious just like that expression) I can't believe I forgot, the whole point hahahaha you are a form of energy and so is your consciousness. We can all agree it's not nothing it's something, even if it is a product of a bunch of different somethings, concidering you have no perception of time after you die what are the chances that over an infinite amount of time all these seperate parts won't reunite and recreate the thought process' you have now. Or what are the chances that at least 1 out of the billions of billions of people who've died do not experience this? We can never prove it we're in the timeline that prevents this from happening but let's say in 200 years theres an apocalyptic event or we discover other more intelligent life, what's to say they do not find all of our pieces and energy and put it back together maybe in a new vessel? or bring back your old one. seeing as it's just scattered everywhere. technically.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by someotherguy

Originally posted by wigit

Near-death experiences 'explained': Scientists believe it's the last gasp of a dying brain

Scientists are so stuck in their little 3D material box that they just cannot accept that consciousness exists outside of the material. They really think that the brain is the source of consciousness, don't they? lol

Exactly! Most mainstream scientist are incredibly ignorant about things that relate to the paranormal because it's not something you can see with the naked eye. The main problem with mainstream science is the fact that they are looking for "physical evidence" to produce a hypothesis, or answer for something that is non-physical. When it comes to the afterlife, OBE's, NDE's and the astral plane (spirit realm) your not dealing with something that is physical (duh). Your dealing with something that is just outside the box, which means any kinds of test or experiments mainstream scientist do will always be flawed for obvious reasons. Mainstream scientist should concentrate all of their efforts on the paranormal, and metaphysical concepts. Theses scientist are basically looking in the wrong direction, driving down the wrong road (using the wrong map). Scientist need to study the human aura, etheric body and metaphysical concepts more closely if they what to find an answer. The first link I post below explains the afterlife almost perfectly (a must read), the second link talks about the Etheric Body and the third link explains the metaphysical. Enjoy

www.victorzammit.com...

www.alchemyrealm.com...

www.whatismetaphysics.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I consider the accounts from people who can accurately describe the proceedings around them after they died as evidence. Science can't account for everything, some things are beyond our knowledge and always will be.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I agree with several other posters, regarding the fact that this is not a new theory to be put forth by science. I really would not expect scientists to come to any other conclusion other then the "hallucination" theory. I do not think this adequetly explains the phenomena, as there are cases of individuals having ESP during these experiences. From my research on the phenomena I'd give a large amount of credence to the theory that is a true experience of life after death.

Is it possible that '___' facilitates transition into the afterlife/other dimensions of existence? There are cases of '___' users reporting supernatural contact and perception of alternate dimensions while under the influence. While this may be simply drug related hallucinations, when related to the NDE it could point in the direction that this molecule causes mind/body seperation in way that is similar to Astral Projection.

It's hard to say, but it's just an idea that I'm throwing out there. I don't want to rule out the possibility that '___' can seperate the mind from the body, and cause perception of alternate dimensions, or in the case of the NDE, the afterlife.
edit on 8-1-2011 by zyrna539 because: changing some wording

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zyrna539
Is it possible that '___' facilitates transition into the afterlife/other dimensions of existence? There are cases of '___' users reporting supernatural contact and perception of alternate dimensions while under the influence. While this may be simply drug related hallucinations, when related to the NDE it could point in the direction that this molecule causes mind/body seperation in way that is similar to Astral Projection.

I've thought about this too, it may be the 'kick' that starts the whole separation process off. '___' is a compelling subject in itself.
edit on 8-1-2011 by Internet Explorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I couldn't say either way what some people claim about near-death experiences. But I can say this, I have already been informed by my beloved son that when I go and I see a light, he plans on turning the light switch on and off to confuse me. I in turn informed him I would just unscrew the light as I pass by.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Actually you are quite right about all people having their own universe and you should read the book Zhuan Falun:

www.falundafa.org...

/Gauss

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I think that this is poor science. So why is there a similarity of visions? THis is the way that skeptics shut up the questioning paranormal researchers. They do a bit of research, just enough to get a headline and refuse to go deeper.
edit on 9-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

So why is there a similarity of visions?

Have you ever had a dream that you were flying? What about a dream in which you get that feeling of falling? Human dreams often have common themes and human brain chemistry between individuals is not all that different. Simply because they have similarities doesn't mean they're is something paranormal going on. Zeus may have similarities with Thor and Jesus may have similarities with Krishna but we don't start assuming they're real because of that do we?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Its absurd.

This has already been proven wrong, years ago.

Some points.

• NDEs range from people who have been seriously injured in an accident or from a disease. In both cases the NDEs are similar
  • The notion that its a last 'gasp' contradicts the fact that an oxygen deprived brain generally produces confusion and incoherence. What NDEs report is a profound clarity in consciousness. Such a thing would be impossible under normal conditions.

• posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:36 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
    reply to post by tiger5

So why is there a similarity of visions?

Have you ever had a dream that you were flying? What about a dream in which you get that feeling of falling? Human dreams often have common themes and human brain chemistry between individuals is not all that different. Simply because they have similarities doesn't mean they're is something paranormal going on. Zeus may have similarities with Thor and Jesus may have similarities with Krishna but we don't start assuming they're real because of that do we?

All of what you write may be but there is deliberately insufficient research. One of the problems is still one of scientists brushing everything under the carpet. THere are paranormal aspects of NDE's and anecdotal evidence to support it. It is only anecdotal because there is no scientific research to back it up.

If science genuinely researched these events in an open manner (as good science should be ) who knows what could be found since No one actually knows where a scientific breakthrough occurs.

Fianlly

Let me remind (as we have exchanged views before) you that a proper scientist questioned about the paranormal will give his personal opinion and experiences (yes honest scientists have paranormal experiences) but will also have to say "I don't know" they may even qualify the previous comment by adding "It seems unlikely".

Why are you such an evangelical skeptic? Does the paranormal pain you or something???

I was an initiated occultist who then went to university and read biosciences so my beliefs and practical experiences did not prevent me from getting a good degree and moving on to postgraduate studiesin science. So belief and experience did not prevent me from functioning in academic science. Again what is your problem? Because you keep poping up with the same riff.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join