It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-death experiences 'explained': Scientists believe it's the last gasp of a dying brain

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

And it seems like that's exactly what you're doing. You hypocrite, you

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

There are at least seven major areas of modern evidence for what happens when you die.

First, there are Near-Death Experiences, or NDEs.

Second, there are out-of-body journeys and the experiences of shamans and remote viewers.

Third, there is direct experience through apparitions, clairvoyance, clairaudience and deathbed visions.

Fourth, there are revelations through other than conscious states of awareness, such as hypnosis, dreams and holotropic states. (The word holotropic is from the Greek holos, meaning “whole,” and trepein, meaning “moving or oriented towards.” It relates to a powerful method of self-exploration, personal transformation, and healing created by Christina and Stanislav Grof, M.D.)

Fifth, there are revelations through mediums (mental mediums, trance mediums and materialization mediums) from loved ones who have died.

Sixth, there are revelations through electronic voice phenomena (EVP) and instrumental trans-communication (ITC).

Seventh, there are transmissions from spirit teachers of high degree speaking through mediums, channellers and automatic writers.

These kinds of direct experiences of a psychic nature have led people of every culture that ever existed to understand that life continues after physical death. In every culture they have formed the basis of religious beliefs.Since the end of the nineteenth century, however, a body of scientists in England and America have set out to investigate large numbers of such experiences. They work systematically, using empirical methods to reach conclusions that are based on sound research and on repeatable observations, thus taking the study of the afterlife out of the province of “religion” and into the realm of psychic science.Over the last sixteen years I have researched hundreds of the most highly credible sources I could find. I was particularly interested in the investigations of researchers who were highly qualified, highly trained observers, such as scientists, doctors, engineers, lawyers and judges who were of impeccable character and who had more to lose than gain from putting their credibility on the line.

www.victorzammit.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
I'm no Scientist, but I disagree with them in this case.

Tell me then, guys - how do you explain OBEs - like when the person is floating above their body and are able to recall conversations when the person was clinically dead????

Was this question extremely stupid or does anyone just not know the answer?

Please.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Just because they may have found biological evidence behind near death experiences and what causes them, does not mean that there is nothing spiritual or paranormal also involved. This just means that we are getting closer to making the paranormal and supernatural, normal and natural.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Ultimately it comes down to what causes what? Do i think first or do my charging neurons cause me to think?

Obviously, if your a normal, person, youll understand that i WILL, and THAN i think. The neurons are simply the physical manifestation or registry of a psychic event.

The fact that this is so obviously intuitively true yet on the whole rejected just shows how powerful public opinion can be.

look at what the Nazis managed to do to the German population in just 8 years. They were made desparate after the collapse of their economy and they were willing to believe anything/

Likewise..its easier to believe that theres no afterlife or consequences to our actions.

though, the observant will note that even in their dreams are 'unconscious' tends to compensate for some issue we have. The unconscious in a way is like our soul revealing to us - in symbol - what we think, feel, and desire. It more or less shows us who we are.

The theory is fine and all the ancients unanimously beliefed - or moreso, KNEW, that there is a life after death. Its different from this world and the laws which govern it are more or less mental, and moral rather than fixed and in some ways chaotic, as this world can appear.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Vicki Umipeg, a forty-five year old blind woman, was just one of the more than thirty persons that Dr. Ken Ring and Sharon Cooper interviewed at length during a two-year study just completed concerning near-death experiences of the blind. The results of their study appear in their newest book Mindsight. Vicki was born blind, her optic nerve having been completely destroyed at birth because of an excess of oxygen she received in the incubator. Yet, she appears to have been able to see during her NDE. Her story is a particularly clear instance of how NDEs of the congenitally blind can unfold in precisely the same way as do those of sighted persons. As you will see, apart from the fact that Vicki was not able to discern color during her experience, the account of her NDE is absolutely indistinguishable from those with intact visual systems. The following is an excerpt from Dr. Ring's latest book reprinted by permission.

In addition, she was able to note certain further identifying features indicating that the body she was observing was certainly her own.

"I think I was wearing the plain gold band on my right ring finger and my father's wedding ring next to it. But my wedding ring I definitely saw ... That was the one I noticed the most because it's most unusual. It has orange blossoms on the corners of it."

People Born Blind Can See During a NDE Dr. Kenneth Ring's NDE Research of the Blind

The scientific method requires all phenomena to be reproducible, provide veridical details (i.e., details which cannot be explained away, which are found to be true), and undergo rigorous tests to rule out all the known alternative explanations, for a theory to be proven as scientific fact. Using the scientific method, near-death experiences have been proven to be a real scientific phenomenon because they are reproducible. Near-death experiences were first shown to be reproducible during studies involving the subjection of fighter pilots to extreme gravitational forces in a giant centrifuge. But the question is not, "Are near-death experiences real?" Even skeptics now concede that it is a real phenomenon. The question to ask is, "Are near-death experiences a phenomenon of a person's consciousness being outside of their body?" And if this can be proven true, then the next question is, "Can consciousness survive bodily death?" This last question likely cannot be proven true to the satisfaction of the skeptics using near-death research alone. This is because no matter how you define "death," the only kind of definition that satisfies the skeptics is "irreversible" death. Just the very nature of the phrase "near-death" suggests that it is not true death - where nobody comes back. However, good scientific evidence for survival can be found in other realms of research such as psychic studies, quantum physics, consciousness studies, and remote viewing - not to mention the mountain of circumstantial evidence.

People See Verified Events While Out-Of-Body

You can read more here. They cannot explain how people were able to describe what went on during their NDE.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

My favorite are the ones from lifelong blind people and they describe the room and what their doctors look like, amazing.

www.near-death.com...www.seattleiands.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join