It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-death experiences 'explained': Scientists believe it's the last gasp of a dying brain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

The doctors from George Washington University medical centre in Washington believe this surge may be the cause of near-death experiences, where patients see themselves walking towards a bright light or floating outside their bodies. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

I think this says it all: They "believe" but are really talking out of their unknowing speculation. I think cases like Pam Reynolds and other documented NDE are far more compelling then conjecture.

And in cases like boy who remembers a past life, to cite one of thousands of cases.

There is a lot more going on there then just some electrical "surge" that may or may not cause anything vision like. That is a big assumption and leap of blind reasoning in my case... I want proof.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Scientists have been pimping this theory for ages. It's '___', it's brain cells dying, it's the sun in your eyes.

The reality is they don't know. There have literally been hundreds of thousands of interviews with kids and adults of all ages who have suffered NDE, and ADEs. Too many have had experiences that defy the simple explanation it's '___' flooding into the brain.

Some people have had ADE's while on the operating table. The person being operated on was able to recount what was actually being said within the room as well as procedures being performed while clinically dead. The person claimed to have heard the conversations with specific terms and discussions that the doctors have agreed they would not have heard while clinically dead. And this isn't an isolated incident, this kind of thing happens a lot.

This isn't to dispute that '___' does flood into your brain as you die, and it isn't to dispute that something does happen to us when we die, this is just to dispute the finality of dying.

Everything in science points to something after this life. Everything from the definition of energy to the law of conservation of energy, even changes in mass as we die, (see documented evidence of the body losing 8 oz of weight at moment of death). My mother in law is a palliative care nurse who has worked the pediatric ward for 20 years. She and I have had many conversations about the weight loss at time of death, NDE, ADE and the after life. She is absolutely convinced that something comes next, and no it isn't entirely a religious thing.

So for me, I'm taking what the scientists say with a grain of salt. I think part of what happens is the flood of '___', but I don't agree that the '___' is the cause of the afterlife, or that it is the sole reason for NDE, ADE of other experiences of that sort.

..Ex

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

They do say “may be the cause of” and they are only speculating, what’s wrong with that?
What kind of proof do you want?

Perhaps sometimes when we are classed as “clinically dead” we aren’t quite there yet and the doctors have to refine their techniques a little.
Reincarnation is a bit of a lame duck as far as proof goes, would we not be much better off concentrating on this life that we are living now?

[edit on 30-5-2010 by midicon]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon

They do say “may be the cause of” and they are only speculating, what’s wrong with that?
What kind of proof do you want?

The title of the subject says it's "explained" when it really is not... it's just speculation.

I don't think our current technology has advanced enough yet to detect and deconstruct "consciousness" as it would be like taking a massive rendering farm that is working on an amazing 3D image, but trying to follow the current powering the information processing rather then looking at mechanics involved in the rendering.

Great, they see the current... but nothing else... keep digging.

I think Japan’s ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories is getting closer however to seeing the result of how all of the neuron based rendering farms form a rendering. In the future we may be able to fully deconstruct this whole dying process with vast volumes of visual data.

Probably 30-40 years down the road.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon

Perhaps sometimes when we are classed as “clinically dead” we aren’t quite there yet and the doctors have to refine their techniques a little.
[edit on 30-5-2010 by midicon]

Actually, in the instance I referred to the woman needed to be both heart stopped and no brain function. I'll have to find the link but it was necessary so they could perform the procedure on her. (I think it was the Pam Reynolds one, but I need to look again) When she discussed it with the doctor, he said flat out there was no way any person in that state could have seen or heard anything....

Some other examples Link

More link

..Ex

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

It is only a newspaper heading the doctors say ‘may’. Anyway it’s great news, now we know that when we die we not only get a chemical rush, we also get an electronic surge! Constructing or deconstructing consciousness may not help us in our quest to understand our own subjective experience of it.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

The same has been said of ‘coma’ patients who as it turns out were aware at some level.
I don’t think anyone is saying that science has all the answers particularly with regard to the subjective experience of dying but I for one welcome any new findings.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
I've heard that cannabanoids (sp?) have been found in the brain, these are the psychoactive alkaloids found in the female hemp plant.

Yep, I believe our existence has a lot to do with the cannabis hemp plant. Early users of the plant were probably the first to come up with philosophical ideas of life and society. Now it is banned due to abuse and misinformed propaganda. It could have a lot to do with the modern mind, but unfortunately we've lost a lot of years of research and history on the plant.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I would like to refer to a book titled "To Hell and Back" by Dr. Rawlings. He is a doctor who started collecting evidence from people who were clinically dead but were brought back. He asked them what they experienced right after they came back so that they had not forgotten it yet, or their mind had not blocked out the memory yet. There were some who said they saw the tunnel of light etc.

I believe some of these stories because the name Lucifer means light bearer, and he gives people who are near death this vision of a good thing. But he is disguising himself as a form of light. Now the people who saw a terrifying sight of hell or demons etc., would change the way they were living because they remembered how terrible it was. If people saw Lucifer as he truly is they would reform their lives and change for the good. But if people saw just a tunnel with light at the end it could be satan deceiving them because their minds would have blocked the bad visions soon after reviving. But Dr. Rawlings was there to record what they saw before their minds had a chance of blocking or forgetting the whole thing.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

YouAreDreaming

And that is why there was a 3 days wait before doing anything to a corpse, in ancient times...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm just trying to figure out how this "explanation" is in any way new or different than what I've heard before from the sciences.

The only way this thread really deserved to be created is if those involved in this report came to the opposite conclusion. That NDEs aren't hallucinations of a dying brain. Otherwise its the same line I've always heard.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It's interesting about the burst of electricity - it could be as he says, lack of oxygen, but it could also be a sort of power surge which pushes the "soul" - or whatever - out to somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
I'm just trying to figure out how this "explanation" is in any way new or different than what I've heard before from the sciences.

Well personally I've read some scientific theories of the near death experience but I've never heard of a surge in electrical activity before, (unless I didn't take note when I did read it.) That's why the thread was started.

Originally posted by Jax11
It's interesting about the burst of electricity - it could be as he says, lack of oxygen, but it could also be a sort of power surge which pushes the "soul" - or whatever - out to somewhere else.

I find that interesting too. I don't like sitting on the fence too often and I don't like not having all the answers so that puts a little piece of jigsaw into place for me, (I might move it later if I feel like it). That surge of electricity could be the opening of a doorway to the release of the soul. Like a tiny little stargate.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

This is not a new Theory on NDE's, they covered this explanation in the movie Flatliners.
It has been around for awhile. It just doesn't explain why everybody has similar NDE's
It would seem they would all be different.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I find that interesting too. I don't like sitting on the fence too often and I don't like not having all the answers so that puts a little piece of jigsaw into place for me, (I might move it later if I feel like it). That surge of electricity could be the opening of a doorway to the release of the soul. Like a tiny little stargate.

"A tiny little stargate" - nice concept! It's worth believing in it, even if it's not true!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
only one way to find out, pop some '___' and see if i get a near death halusination

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

This is incredibly easy to explain. Do you realize how long it takes someone to have a complex dream? Seconds. So, while it would seem to the individual upon waking that they had just left this "afterlife" or whatever, it happened before her brain shutdown. No mystery there!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I think i like the Avatar point of view better than the thought of a possible afterlife. All energy is only borrowed and will eventually be returned. Right now is our time and when we die there will be energy for new life. Without death there would be no life, nothing would return.
I believe that because we see and use it daily on a small scale as well. Plants are the most obvious example, we use them as compost to return nutrients to the soil. We are the compost of the soul and spirit

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
reply to post by thestepper2012

I've heard that cannabanoids (sp?) have been found in the brain, these are the psychoactive alkaloids found in the female hemp plant.

Yes cannabinoids are found naturally occurring in the brain. The human body has a natural cannabinoid system, the main reason cannabinoids from the cannabis plant have such a profound effect on people as a medicine. Now cannabinoids are not just found in the female plant, but also in the male plant, just in a far lower amount.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Very interesting read, thank you for posting this.
Also, WoW is ftw. 80 ele shammy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join