It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea puts military on combat readiness

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
YES WORLD WAR 3 HERE WE COME! I CANNOT WAIT! ITS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN TO WATCH ON TV! SEE YOU IN THE DOOM BUNKERS PEOPLE!

link   

Originally posted by RestlessNRG

is not possible this whole "attack/ war" on SK is an attempt to mask the true goings on to the people of NK. what better way to make people forget they are hungry and desperate than to plunge them into a war (real or fake) with their neighbour.

if people think war is about to break out any minute then will they really be that bothered about complaining about their hunger or poverty??

Very possible. That's why Argentina invaded the Falklands in the early 80's - the country was a mess and they needed something to bring the people together. Countries do mad things when they're in trouble - and with a complete nut like Kim in charge.....anything is possible.

link   
Time for the US to stop supporting South Korea against North Korea and let the two sides sort out their differences alone. And time for China to stop supporting North Korea too. Too many proxy wars in the world, if China and the US, or whoever, wants to fight, let them be man enough and go take their war to the door of the nation they want to fight, and leave off the proxy games.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by exlibertateveritas

I think you misunderstand deltaboy... the U.S. is tacitly involved, therefore, this must be our fault...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I haven't seen much discussion about ROK capabilities. The south has the sixth largest army on the planet and is fully modernized. The North has a million active duty troops, many of whom would be sitting ducks for precision munitions, and an obsolescent air force.

I'd wager that the South could beat the North in a conventional fight 10 times out of 10.

But the nukes. Ah the nukes.

And the Psychotic Members-Only Jacket (Lil' Kim).

IMHO, if the elites in China know their economy is finished within 12-18 months (the greatest bubble in human history, perhaps); the elites in the US wish to maintain power before the incumbent massacre in November and simultaneously conclude the mirage V-shaped recovery/FED liquidity infusion adventure cannot be sustained, then, well, this could be bad.

[Locks door to bunker]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarklingthrush
What's really scare about this, in my opinion, is that North Korea wouldn't do any of this without the approval of China. Although its not much talked about in the media or anywhere I don't see how Pyongyang could act the way it does without being a puppet of larger more powerful state.

I feel safe with with the commander and chief, obama running things.

I believe that N. Korea could use nukes and if they use nukes they

may believe there will be no retaliation from the U.S.

This could possibly put the U.S. in the position of fighting 3 wars

simultaneously and the world knows we can not afford another war

because of being technically broke. ^Y^

[edit on 25-5-2010 by amari]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

North Korea is to cut all relations with South Korea, Pyongyang's official news agency reports.

KCNA said the North was also expelling all South Korean workers from a jointly-run factory north of the border.

Tuesday's KCNA reports announcing the severing of all ties - including communications - said the North was also banning South Korean ships and planes from its waters and airspace.

not good people, communication is important in situations like this...

online.wsj.com...

North Korea's state news agency announced the move late Tuesday, well after the usual hours when it makes statements from the country's authoritarian government.

The decision sharply escalates the tensions between the two countries in the aftermath of the March 26 sinking of South Korea's Cheonan warship.

The statement also said Pyongyang will "totally abrogate the agreement on nonaggression between the north and the south and completely halt the inter-Korean cooperation." The two Koreas have forged several nonaggression pacts since the 1970s and the North's statement wasn't specific which agreement it meant.

The statement came several hours after North Korean accused South Korea of sending warships into its territorial waters, a claim the South immediately denied

In the announcement, North Korea warned of further, unspecified military action in the Yellow Sea.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Where on earth are people getting this idea that North Korea is a push over and will lose within a week or two in a war?

North Korea has one of the densest redundant air defence networks in the world.

The losses in taking the fight to North Korea would be severe unless you nuked them.

Their tech is mostly 70's-80's era but do not for a second think they are a push over.

Think of Kim as a 'Turtle' strategy player. He is missile defence crazy. This guy is the type to have a SAM site in his bathroom.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Skellon]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by amari

Yeah, but imagine the amount of military weapons they have that are so technologically advanced. If a major war did break out, The U.S.A would be using new advanced weapons we probably never seen. War is a time of technological advancements. With their military spending ($610 billion a year?) they most likely have weapons to scare the whole world. And that is the amount the public is aware of. Imagine how much money they are spending on technology there not even telling us about!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Enter the F-22.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
reply to post by john124

Since the day that ship "disappeared" I knew something strange was going on.

Then the reports of "shooting at birds" for minutes (as if birds are a target you need to fire minute's worth of ammo at) came in, and all the confusion and conflicting stories.

I dunno if I even buy the torpedo story right now.

This whole thing smells odd.

Why was the boat fired on? Why did the whole thing start in the first place? What began the gun fire and torpedoing? Those are questioned unanswered and not even addressed in the media reporting the growing tension, while we are supposed to not question motives or circumstances and just float along with the vague reports.

It seems there are so many things happening these days where the media never gets down to the "why or how".

How or why did that oil rig explode?

How or why are there so many coal mines exploding recently?

How or why did the stock market collapse for an hour and then stand up again?

How or why did a fight begin between two ships that resulted in releasing a torpedo?

I dunno...sounds crazy. But maybe I am crazy.

Another thing that bothers me, is the apathetic stance I am often confronted with when I talk to many people about my concerns.

The stance is always something like-

"This happens all the time"...or, "dude it doesn't matter it's no big deal", or "your a doom-sayer stop looking too deep into everything".

Things seem pretty weird right now, and I do not feel overly comfortable with pretending this is "business as usual" or "regular happenings".

But that's just me.

I think this will begin a lot of violence and take us one step closer to a place we can never return from.

WOW! Big fat star from me, you sure said it!
This crap is moving so fast with out any questions really being raised its obvious slight of hand by multiple governments.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetrahedron

Enter the F-22.

Look up how many F-22's the US has....

The F-22 has had alot of problems too including pilots getting trapped inside the cockpit because canopies have failed. Radar Absorbant Material 'falling' off it.

The F-22 may be the 'Alpha Dog' of air superiority fighters right now, but do not be mislead that it is some super weapon...

It is not invisible to radar, it is 'stealthy', when its stealth features are not falling off that is.

It's development was prolonged so much and ran so far over-budget that it now requires upgrades to its avionics. Part of the aircraft is out of date.

Forget the F-22, check out the F-35 EODAS

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This all sort of reminds me of the story of the boy who cried wolf.

NK have threatened so many times, and people just play it off as empty threats. But one day, those threats will not be empty, and people will still ignore them to their peril.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
South Korea begins mass torpedo production

RIA Novosti

16:4024/05/2010 MOSCOW, May 24 (RIA Novosti) - South Korea has begun mass production of Red Shark torpedoes, designed for destroying hostile submarines, a Russian business daily quoted the South Korean Navy as saying on Monday.

"New underwater missiles are one of the main kinds of weaponry, that can bring us victory in the anti-submarine battles of the future," Kommersant quoted a South Korean Navy statement as saying.

The statement said the 20-km range torpedoes will be launched vertically from South Korean destroyers.

Earlier on Monday South Korean President Lee Myung-bak froze economic relations and maritime communications with the North following evidence showing North Korea to be responsible for the sinking of the South Korean Cheonan corvette on March 26 near the disputed Northern Limit Line (NLL) in the Yellow Sea.

The 1,200-ton vessel sank after a sudden explosion that killed 46 sailors. A group of international investigators confirmed on Thursday suspicions that the ship was destroyed by a torpedo launched from a North Korean submarine.

North Korea called the results of the investigation "a fabrication," and warned Seoul of a stern response if the South retaliated with new sanctions against Pyongyang.

The state claimed the right to strengthen its "nuclear power". Kommersant quoted a North Korean foreign ministry spokesman as saying that North Korea "manufactured nuclear weapons legitimately" in order to protect the sovereignty of the country and the security of the nation.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said the United States would support South Korea on the issue and was ready to help the state deter future aggression.

"U.S. support for South Korea's defense is unequivocal, and the president has directed his military commanders to coordinate closely with their Republic of Korea counterparts to ensure readiness and to deter future aggression".

"We endorse President Lee's demand that North Korea immediately apologize and punish those responsible for the attack, and, most importantly, stop its belligerent and threatening behavior."

Kommersant cited U.S. secretary of state Hillary Clinton as saying the U.S. is "working hard to avoid an escalation of belligerence and provocation" on the Korean Peninsula.

The two countries remain technically at war as their 1950-1953 conflict ended only in an armistice.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Trust me on one thing there cannot be any war because another economy collapse is around the corner besides Who do u think is supporting NK its Russia Not China guys

And all the country are broke money wise dont expect a war cause Economic meltdown is around the corner............

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
www.globalpost.com...

The North’s new war plan, JoongAng Ilbo said, is to quickly grab control of Seoul and the surrounding area just across the border from the North and then decide whether to proceed farther south — or simply stop and negotiate a cease-fire. In the latter case — holding hostage the most populous and developed Korean region by far, the capital and nerve center of the South — the North would have enormous bargaining power with the South and its U.S. ally.

So, smash and grab? To what end would simply invading and negotiating peace have? I would have thought Kim wanted the penninsula reunified.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ashcool007

your backwards man, its economic collapse that usually cause war. big wars.. conventional wars.. not this insurgent terroist police action crap..

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Well, its all a bit fishy, is it not!
NK are in an awful position, starving, and led by an incompetent leader, seems to me its the perfect time to sink an SK ship, and accuse NK of the act. if peeps can see what I am getting at!!!!

Peace and love!!!!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I am actually starting to think that something might come of this and its not from North Korea's usual rhetoric, its from the US rhetoric that I get this unsettling vibe.

The US seem quite eager to be involved this time, they are not dismissing it as usual.

This does add substance to the false flag theory but regardless of whether it is or not, the tempo has changed.

"The sinking was the South's worst military disaster since the 1950-53 Korean War, which ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty."

There seems to be little doubt that the incident that took place recently is being taken alot more seriously than the standard 'tit for tat' engagements that they have experienced in the past decades.

The MSM are also strangely sobering in their headlines regarding it, rather than the sensationalist headlines we are used to.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skellon
Where on earth are people getting this idea that North Korea is a push over and will lose within a week or two in a war?

The losses in taking the fight to North Korea would be severe unless you nuked them.

Their tech is mostly 70's-80's era but do not for a second think they are a push over.

Think of Kim as a 'Turtle' strategy player. He is missile defence crazy. This guy is the type to have a SAM site in his bathroom.

You don't think the military knows that? You don't think that there are already strategic plans in place to deal with that threat?

When the US initiated Operations Desert Shield/Storm in 90/91, Iraq was said to have the best integrated Anti-Air network outside of Russia.

The fighting was over in about 6 weeks, while taking minimal losses. Also remember that they too had a million+ man army, vs the US deployed force of ~250,000. Numbers don't matter with superior tactics and weaponry.

Fast forward 13 years later to the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Baghdad fell in 3 weeks.

That was 7 years ago...

With NK having approximately the same tech as Saddam had (maybe slightly more advanced in some areas), I would be careful as to where you place your bets.

Still, IMO if a war was going to break out over this it would've already happened. Unless there's another incident I wouldn't count on anything coming of it.

I don't care if "getting rid of the North" sounds like a great idea; their leader is a nutjob and there's no doubt that there would be a lot of collateral damage as a result of a war over there. Many civilian lives would be lost on both sides, so lets pray nothing happens...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join