It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea puts military on combat readiness

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Well, it seems obvious for North Korea to increase their level of readiness, because it has been reported that the US and South Korea have done the same. By sinking that ship, he is asking for trouble. Whether it was Kim who gave the order or a rogue general, it does not matter. Now, we have large naval exercises by South Korea and US as well.

The naval exercise seems like muscle flexing to me. Just the usual show of force. It will be interesting to see if any significant manpower and military equipment is shipped to South Korea in the coming days and months ahead. At present, it seems like the usual saber rattling and rhetoric by all sides involved with this little soap opera called "North Korea." When there is dead silence among the politicians about this issue, then something serious is ahead, and war may be on the horizon.

The situation with China is what perplexes me? They have not commented much on this one. What makes this thing even more odd, is the fact that Kim and his armored train embarked for China and had talks with the leadership earlier this month. This was before the South Korean government confirmed that their ship was sunk by a North Korean torpedo.

South Korea briefs China on ship sinking blamed on North

China irritated South Korea earlier this month by hosting the North Korean leader Kim Jong-il on a rare trip abroad before the outcome of the investigation was announced.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting. Who knows what was said, but my gut tells me Kim was asking his handlers for advice on how to proceed after sinking that ship? As it stands now, it seems the politicians are yelling and condemning each other. At least they are talking and not fire on each other with their military machines. Hopefully, this thing fizzles out like all other previous provocations by North Korea.

Unfortunately, it seems this may be South Korea's last straw? I hope I am wrong. Time will tell, but things seem to be escalating by the day on the Korean Peninsula.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has told his military it may have to go to war but only if the South attacks first, according to a South Korea-based group which monitors the hermit state.

"We do not hope for war but if South Korea, with the U.S. and Japan on its back, tries to attack us, Kim Jong-il has ordered us to finish the task of unification left undone during the ... (Korean) war,"

ooooboy o boy o boy...

[edit on 24-5-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You're taking him too lightly. If North Korea pulled an all out invasion the South would be devastated.

Yes our equipment is much better, but its all tied up in other areas ATM.

If the North pulled a full ground invasion our troops would probably just evacuate. There's no way the South could stop the 1.4 million strong North Korean army.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by thedarklingthrush

i agree, were talkin about a crazy guy here. did adolf hitler give a # about his people? hell no, you could even make the case that obama doesnt give a # about americans. if he does he has funny ways of showing it. kim jong ill is as unpredictable as they come... this is some serious sh*t folks...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well, it has been what? 50 years? I am sure all scenarios have been hashed and re-hashed. What kind of meat grinder does the south have waiting? All they have had to do is be on a defensive stance, remember, it is the north that has been left in the closet of time.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
www.reuters.com...

North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has told his military it may have to go to war but only if the South attacks first, according to a South Korea-based group which monitors the hermit state.

"We do not hope for war but if South Korea, with the U.S. and Japan on its back, tries to attack us, Kim Jong-il has ordered us to finish the task of unification left undone during the ... (Korean) war,"

ooooboy o boy o boy...

Well, Duh.. They are not like the South.
One more shot from SK at a NK boat would set them off big time.

btw, if this is full combat readiness that means the subs are all out and the air strips are full and gearing up the planes and posturing tanks...

This is an expensive move for a poor country. I do understand the North Koreans are ready to fight for their country at any cost, but yeah...

This a BIG move and this is really going to happen.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by CanadianDream420]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarklingthrush

You're taking him too lightly. If North Korea pulled an all out invasion the South would be devastated.

Yes our equipment is much better, but its all tied up in other areas ATM.

If the North pulled a full ground invasion our troops would probably just evacuate. There's no way the South could stop the 1.4 million strong North Korean army.

1.4 million weak and starving is closer to the truth. How many of those rockets they fire do you think actually leave the ground before they blow up?

I'm not saying the south wouldn't be devastated but a ground invasion wont happen.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

www.reuters.com...

ooooboy o boy o boy...

How fast can they keep back pedaling? First it was you better not even loot at us or we will blow you up! Then it was ok you can look but don't say mean things! Then it went to" if you hold military exercises and try and put sanction on us we will blow you up!

Finally they are at the stage of..... ok well if you throw the first punch I will really hurt you!

This is just like a bully on a school yard but sadly it will end horribly.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Well,this was expected from Kim Jong Il. Kim is hoping that by sending messages of combat readiness and war, the international community would be spooked and then would beg to Kim to come and join the 6 party talks. As far as starting a war is concerned, it is certain that NK would inflict serious damage on SK, but unless China directly gets involved in conflict just like in the 50s, there is a chance that eventually NK would be defeated. In that case, all the extravagance and luxurious lifestyle of Kim Jong Il dynasty would come to an end. The reason for Kim's defiance could be the covert assurance of Chinese support and his own personal assessment that SK and U.S would never start a military campaign on the Korean peninsula.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
The North Koreans have the right to defend themselves! Obama needs to be impeached. This is like the Gulf of Tonkin, cannot repeat the same mistake.

Do the South Koreans have the right to defend themselves? They were the ones attacked. They are the ones that send food to the North and are trying to get along. Kim Jong-Il is an asshole, I would prefer it if he would just die naturally and let the North be free without any war whatsoever, but Kim Jong-Il is a lunatic and is provoking this. Yeah war sucks, but letting tyrants get away with murder, arms proliferation, and just all around bull# is even worse.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

www.reuters.com...

ooooboy o boy o boy...

How fast can they keep back pedaling? First it was you better not even loot at us or we will blow you up! Then it was ok you can look but don't say mean things! Then it went to" if you hold military exercises and try and put sanction on us we will blow you up!

Finally they are at the stage of..... ok well if you throw the first punch I will really hurt you!

This is just like a bully on a school yard but sadly it will end horribly.

The reason this bully is shouting so much is because this bully has an even bigger and dangerous bully (read China) as a steadfast ally.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Probably more posturing because S. Korea and the US are doing naval exercises. Given the current tensions and all, this was not unexpected. Let's see if it escalates. I don't think it will.

Here's to hoping I'm right.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by exlibertateveritas

Originally posted by deltaboy
The North Koreans have the right to defend themselves! Obama needs to be impeached. This is like the Gulf of Tonkin, cannot repeat the same mistake.

Do the South Koreans have the right to defend themselves? They were the ones attacked. They are the ones that send food to the North and are trying to get along. Kim Jong-Il is an asshole, I would prefer it if he would just die naturally and let the North be free without any war whatsoever, but Kim Jong-Il is a lunatic and is provoking this. Yeah war sucks, but letting tyrants get away with murder, arms proliferation, and just all around bull# is even worse.

Precisely. China is urging SK to maintain "calm". It would be interesting to see how China reacts if one of its own warships is torpedoed by Taiwan.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Heating up!

DPRK warns S.Korea of warships into its waters

PYONGYANG, May 25 (Xinhua) -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) sent a notice to South Korea on Tuesday, accusing the South Korean warships of trespassing on the DPRK territorial waters these days, the official KCNA news agency reported.

N. Korea Threatens Military Action in Disputed Waters

North Korea threatened Tuesday to take military action if South Korea trespasses in its waters off the peninsula's west coast.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

Originally posted by thedarklingthrush
What's really scare about this, in my opinion, is that North Korea wouldn't do any of this without the approval of China.

I don't think China really cares about the North going to or losing a war to the south. It use to be that it was all about communism. China has learned how they need and benefit from the west and capitalism. I think they are likely to tell the North Koreans they support them, and in some basic supplies they might, but if they loose and the south incorporates the North, the economic boom due to construction, and a new market will benefit China the most. Furthermore, with the North Korean threat out of the way, China can press for a decreased presence in Japan and the Pacific.

Little Kim is near death and his kids are boobs. I think he is more than happy to lead his people in one last hoorah.

The fact that this isn't being blasted on the news every minute, tends to lend a little credence to it IMO. If they intended a false flag to drum up a war, they tend to make that the only talk of the day.

Maye China uses this[behind the curtains] as a distraction because they thought a war with Iran is imminent.If they could drain the troops on the Peninsula, then their main supplier for their econmy is safe.The US wont fight a fourth war.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
ARTICLECOMMENTS (0)Updated May 25, 2010 North Korea Accuses South of Trespassing, Threatens Military Action

North Korea's military accused the South Korean navy Tuesday of trespassing in its waters and threatened military action in response.

The accusation came amid high tensions sparked by an investigation into the sinking of a South Korean warship near the disputed Yellow Sea border in March.

The North's military made its complaint in a message to the South's armed forces, the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported.

Over 10 days ending Monday, it said, dozens of the South's naval ships intruded into the North's waters.

"This is a deliberate provocation aimed to spark off another military conflict in the West (Yellow) Sea of Korea and thus push to a war phase the present North-South relations that reached the lowest ebb," KCNA quoted the message as saying.

If the intrusions continued, the North "will put into force practical military measures to defend its waters as it had already clarified and the South side will be held fully accountable for all the ensuing consequences."

A defense ministry spokesman in Seoul denied any of the South's ships crossed the border, known as the Northern Limit Line.

The North refused to accept the line drawn by the South's allies after the 1950-53 war and demands it run further to the south.

The area was the scene of deadly naval clashes in 1999 and 2002 and of a firefight last November that left a North Korean patrol boat in flames.

Investigators concluded last week that a North Korean torpedo ripped a South Korean warship in two in the area on March 26, and Seoul on Monday announced several punitive measures.

The North denied responsibility and threatened "all-out war" if there is any attempt to punish it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
It looks like Lee Myung Bak has finally decided to call Kim Jong Il's bluff. Over the past years, whenever Kim Jong Il needed some attention or some aid, he would start screaming about "devastating nuclear strikes" and "all out war" or would test a nuke or two. China would then give some aid to prop up the DPRK regime, SK used to follow suit and then USA would start some lack luster 6 party talks in Beijing.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
ARTICLECOMMENTS (0)Updated May 25, 2010 North Korea Accuses South of Trespassing, Threatens Military Action

North Korea's military accused the South Korean navy Tuesday of trespassing in its waters and threatened military action in response.

The accusation came amid high tensions sparked by an investigation into the sinking of a South Korean warship near the disputed Yellow Sea border in March.

The North's military made its complaint in a message to the South's armed forces, the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported.

Over 10 days ending Monday, it said, dozens of the South's naval ships intruded into the North's waters.

"This is a deliberate provocation aimed to spark off another military conflict in the West (Yellow) Sea of Korea and thus push to a war phase the present North-South relations that reached the lowest ebb," KCNA quoted the message as saying.

If the intrusions continued, the North "will put into force practical military measures to defend its waters as it had already clarified and the South side will be held fully accountable for all the ensuing consequences."

Now this clearly looks like a scare tactic used by DPRK to lower the tensions and force the international community to back down. This is not unprecedented. After the Mumbai terrorist attack of 2008, when India accused Pakistan of orchestrating and masterminding the attacks, tensions were running very high and it looked like a military conflict would start any moment. But then, Pakistani Air Force flew some of its jets over cities like Karachi and Rawalpindi and made a declaration that it was preparing for a nuclear war that India is going to wage soon. Because of the increasing tensions, U.S state department intervened and ensured that the political crisis didn't spiral into a major war. DPRK is hoping that by making such provocative statements, U.S-SK would back down and the tensions would reduce.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

China does not care about North Korea, they only reason they look after them is because they don't want millions of brainwashed refugees into their country. China likes SK, 30% of China's exports go there.

If any war did happen, which I highly doubt. China would probably just standby or help SK.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
1.4 million HUNGRY troops??

Well that just says everything to me. It gives motivation for something to happen. Either they get fed or dead. And a hungry man is a vicious opponent.

We all know they have nukes, but it's almost impossible to use such a large weapon in a fairly small geographical area.

Kim is dying, it's fast becoming make or break for his entire life's work. NK won't suvive his death, not as it is now. Nobody is strong enough to take over, especially not his kids .... Why do i think this is similar to iraq?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join