It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alleged NASA -Affiliated Astronomer Deciphers 'Intelligence' Signal From Nearby Stars

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
reply to post by Korg Trinity

This is what you call science?

So, agreed, one cannot receive UV signals on normal radio telescopes, but can one receive UV signals on Electromagnetic spectrum telescopes?

And do you work with NASA on astronomy, thinking daily on how to improve current systems to read data?

Can you answer those questions? Or are we here to take your word that 'it is a hoax. game over?' Has critical thinking gone to the dumps? To much fox news lately?
The wavelengths she quoted are in the VISUAL range. To SEE them you use an optical telescope, not what she originally claimed to be using.

DAAAB!!!! Wrong answer....

Light exists as an electromagnetic radiation of any wavelengths, regardless if visible or not. And UV light is never visible to the human eye.

That's why we use spectrophotometry to study such data. Whatever data that it is on, it's source is UV, and she claimed they have a way to convert such data to radio wavelengths, and that is what I am waiting for. This is new tech and I would like to know how its done, wouldn't you? (If it was possible in the first place)

We all learn something new everday, and can afford to wait before passing judgement.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
reply to post by II HAL II

There is more then a handful posting here who are already taken by this hoax or drifting dangerously close to it.

The OP is planning on becoming a salesman for the writer who is promoting this hoax.

If those two reasons are not enough to begin questioning the reasoning behind this story, then let us also add-

This is all based on recent posts on Facebook.

Goodness!!!

Question the reasoning for this story, when you should be checking the data provided if you are a true skeptic?

Is jealousy your motivation to disparage against others, instead of seeking for truth?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bgood1968

She is listed as working for NASA AMES on the BOINC site and Seti@home member pages, I have posted those links a while back. She may just be a volunteer - according to the official AMES sites you can volunteer. She might just want to appear more impressive by not mentioning the fact that she is a volunteer only rather than a paid employee of NASA. Her name on the members list at the seti@home site appears alongside the names of 2 others whose are definately working for NASA - I posted the links to them too.

Whoever Wayne has been in contact with knows her Astronomy as he's been liasing with her for months ABOUT Astronomy and has booked and paid for some sort of observation on the stars that are part of his star map theory research.

All this is coming back on him rather negatively and I doubt he'd have deliberately set himself up for THAT kind of attention?

It's all very weird isn't it

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Like I said, show me some proof. You are still waiting, as you say.

I will wait. Maybe I will have to wait as long or longer than the proof I am still waiting for on the Spirit rover proof.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
So when will Dr Judy provide another update? Can we have her speak personally about her claims? Can we have some feedback from someone who actually knows her that she is who she says she is? Can we get someone on here to comment who is linked to one of the many international monitoring stations that went 'online' to read these signals?

So many questions. And still so few answers...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

"Question the reasoning for this story, when you should be checking the data provided if you are a true skeptic?"

Could you tell me what actual data has been provided by Wayne or Judy?
Not a story about, 'Oh I have intercepted alien communications', but some actual transmissions, so maybe we could get to work on decoding it.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by robwerden
I did a google search for Judy Fältskog and the results are more along the lines of a UFO researchers credentials than a credible astronomer.

That's what I noticed. She hasn't written any scientific papers that I see in my usual sources (very unusual, because her PhD thesis should show up somewhere. These things are being put online all the time.

More interestingly, she isn't putting up photos of anything she's seen. Astronomers tend to be hobbyist photos and take photos of unusual things they spot (unless they're waiting for publication.)

She isn't behaving like any astronomer I've ever met. I haven't met many of them, but this is not consistent with the ones I know.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
My relative is part time researcher at Tuorla Observatory in Piikkiö in Finland. They had no information related to this and no any doctrine to keep mouth shut up. More or less this talking about intelligent signal seems to be nonsense. Tuorla Observatory is part of Turku University Department of Physics and Astronomy. So we can only wondering what is motivation for this "news"? I understand that mysterious lights at the sky makes man wonder. I want also believe but let's try to calm down. Posts at Facebook seems to be mainly 3rd party rumor, not news.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Certainly looking like someone went through a lot of trouble to either intentionally discredit someone or make people look foolish.

Also, not an expert, or even claim to be knowledgable at all, but isn't spectrophotometry the measurement of light passing through a substance to find the transmittance and absorbance of wavelengths of said substance? More used in a chemistry lab rather than an observatory?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
reply to post by II HAL II

There is more then a handful posting here who are already taken by this hoax or drifting dangerously close to it.

The OP is planning on becoming a salesman for the writer who is promoting this hoax.

If those two reasons are not enough to begin questioning the reasoning behind this story, then let us also add-

This is all based on recent posts on Facebook.

This post comfirms it. You are just a troll. The op has nothing to do with it, so give her a break! I dont even class you as a skeptic. You love to debunk and insult people. I want evidence, but you dont. If we finally got evidence of ET life, then you would lose your love of insulting people and feeling superior.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bgood1968

Obviously not this observatory. SALT.
en.wikipedia.org...

link   

Goodness!!!

Question the reasoning for this story, when you should be checking the data provided if you are a true skeptic?

Sigh...wrong.

When a child runs into the house screaming "pigs are flying outside", would it be wiser to say to him "that is nonsense dear, and screaming such things it silly", or should we all rush off to Facebook and double check the data on recent Flying-pig-stories.

And in doing so, should we also then "jump onboard" with the guy who wrote a book about flying pigs?

Look, dozens of us have already done our little google searches on this Dr Judy, and all digging has lead to the "evidence of a probably hoax"

The only thing disagreeing with that (other then a bunch of ATS UFO-ers going hog-wild over everything and anything posted on the contrary) is a Facebook page created by a "NASA affiliate who shows no signs of being a NASA affiliate".

Oh, and let us not forget the kind poster who seems to be "in the process of being used as a marketing device unbeknownst to her".

Is jealousy your motivation to disparage against others, instead of seeking for truth?

1) Do I look like I would be jealous over someone who is publicly making a fool out of themselves over illogical (and made up) stories on Facebook?

2) Do I also sound like someone who doesn't reserve his opinion until I do some fact checking?

Sorry, I am far from being the guy who rushes to ATS to post about Facebook hoaxes without going through the legwork of figuring out if it is legit or not.

This story is not legit.

And the only three people perpetrating it are

a) Some guy who writes "unheard of fiction under the guise of real science".

b) Some Dr Judy that doesn't really seem to exist or show any real affiliation with NASA (or a basic understanding of the very technology that she claims to work with).

c) Some stranger on a forum who admits to having future plans of possible selling the UFO-guy's books.

Am I saying the OP is hoaxing anyone? Nope...I fully trust that she is just a "mark" being used by a very dishonest hack who couldn't sell his books without tricking naive folks into advertising for them.

Am I saying everyone here is stupid and fully under the spell of this UFO guy named Wayne? Nope...but I sure in hell see more then a handful or people jumping the gun and selling the family cow for big fake beans.

Am I wrong in seeing this as a hoax?

Hell no...anyone who assumes otherwise is just not thinking critically and probably do not care about their credibility in the future.

I on the other hand, have a huge investment in "being correct" and not being tied to hoaxes as a believer.

And I sure in hell wouldn't ever wish "being a sucker" on anyone.

Not even to feed my ego, as so many UFO-ers seem trained to call on people who burst their "absolutely ridiculous" bubbles.

I'm sorry if you live in a crystalline sphere of reality...I do not.

I also do not go jumping to post every Facebook post I run across telling me that the sky is falling.

Sadly, most people on ATS do not share that practice.

PS- Someone asked if I would rather see these stories not reported instead of suffer then landslide of scams/hoaxes/lies that come with the territory.

My answer is-

"I would LOVE IT if not one single story like this was ever posted on ATS again. It is my personal stance that ATS would be a much better site if we ditched all the poppycock".

link   
-Wayne Herschel- (8hours ago)Judy is a missing person right now... I already confirmed the research by Judy on the stars in question was more than just Radio astronomy and typical Richard Hoagland has to be one better on that one too to take a stab at that!

From a guy that has many believe there are aliens on the moon????

I relayed only what seemed important and I am still very concerned on the situation with Judy more than this being real or not.... See More

All the data claimed is being discussed with astronomers and I will report later. I am just as angry about how this has turned ugly as most of you are.

-Wayne Herschel- (5min ago) I can say this much...

this IS the NASA linked Judy
she wrote like an academic on astronomy,
she had understanding of physics way over my head. ... See more... See More

This is the only Judy with the NASA CV
She had 800 friends on her old facebook account and it includes many academics.

I still have her old facebook page open and didnt close it the moment I heard it was closed. She is a dedicated family person and I wont list her family names. We have 380 odd friends in common.

The problem is was she a victim to an ugly prank that has cost her dearly

Or is she genuinely onto something big and in hot water for a premature release.

There is a small chance someone of this intellect, nature and status would trash her life like this with unfounded claims!

Something is not right and I will stand by her claim with interest and no judgement and not dismiss anything until we know more.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by DarkCyrus]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I copied and posted the OP's claims in an email to one J. Freidman at Cornell university, (Aricebo's contact for Space and Atmospheric, taken off their website) and asked if he could either confirm or deny the information in the post. We'll see if we get an answer... keep you posted.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris
I dont even class you as a skeptic. You love to debunk and insult people.

None of them are truly 'skeptics'. If they were, they'd be skeptical of everything, including things other skeptics say.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

spectroscopy OK not spectrophotometry

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Call me a troll if you like,
But I have yet to see actual data.

Doesn't it bother anyone that all we have so far is someone whose credentials are at best questionable, saying.....

"I have the biggest story in the history of mankind, but no proof."???

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
reply to post by Korg Trinity

oh for god's sake...STARS and FLAGS ? I got plenty of gold stars in school 25 years ago thanks, I don't come here to increase my flag rating. I'm 36 not 6 !

PS) I'm a female, not a male. The little clue is my AVATAR with my son when he was baby......

[edit on 4/5/10 by cosmicpixie]

Hey calm down, i'm not bashing you
I'm 36 and I want stars and flags though at heart I am a big kid really

Just thought you all should know that
a) Jodrell Bank didn't know anything about this until I brought it to their attention and

b) UV in the range given would NEVER be detected by a Radio Telescope.

The only way to detect a UV signal such as the one given in the statements is with an optical telescope, and one that is outside our atmosphere. Our atmosphere refracts UV and so any UV wavelength that reached the ground would be so disturbed it would be almost impossible to ascertain with any certainty its origin without clarification from say Hubble.

Point b) though is the killer of this story. You can argue for hours over frequency harmonics and sub harmonics all you like. The truth is this is a HOAX.

All the best,

Korg.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Why would beings on other planets use the same names we use for constellations and planets.....or speak english for that matter? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Matter of fact, they wouldn't have the same constellations we do because from their point of view the stars would be in different formations than what we see.

A name like "Taurus" mean "Bull" if I'm not mistaken. Do they have bulls where they're from?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Hydroman]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

This post comfirms it. You are just a troll.

Please follow the rules of ATS.

I do not take kindly to being called a mythical animal of twisted features.

The op has nothing to do with it, so give her a break!

Wrong...

She has spoken with the "originator" of this story, shares an online friendship with him, and has priorly spoken with him about possibly selling his "books" on this subject and related subjects.

That is enough to raise speculation in a court of law.

Do not act as if I am out of line questioning her based on these facts alone.

Perhaps you have become too soft in your friendships online to accurately drawn a line between you and "a hoax".

I dont even class you as a skeptic.

Neither do I.

I think the title is stupid and used most often by ignorant people who think a human's total personality can be summed up in a seven letter word.

It is also used most often by people who "think they know something magical that science refuses to reveal".

You love to debunk and insult people.

Wrong...

I love to "learn".

And if pointing out "fakery" is "insulting" then I am incapable of being polite when confronted with this level of "hoaxing".

But, I do not think it is rude to be blunt and honest...it is much better then having your socks charmed off by a con-artist hell-bent on taking your cash.

I want evidence, but you dont.

Lets see...me and a team of three others have spent over 4 hours researching this Dr Judy and this Wayne...

My evidence was found in the lack of evidence found.

Get me?

Or wait...as long as I do not have a facebook account saying I am right, I have to be wrong?

If we finally got evidence of ET life, then you would lose your love of insulting people and feeling superior.

We have evidence of extraterrestrial life...and it keeps coming.

NASA has released much (some even recently) on discoveries leading to the probability of life on Mars...

See? No Facebook needed.

No UFO-book to bring the information.

Look, you want to join the crowd who is not rolling eyes...go for it. You want to think less of me for not being all hippy-happy about a Facebook hoax? Fine and fair...

But if you think that pointing out the holes in this story is rude...then you are too far gone to debate this with.

Good day.

PS- Trolls can only be killed by fire...I assure you, I can be killed by all sorts of things. This proves I am not a troll.

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join