It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would The iPhone UFO App Fool Members of ATS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
Not many would be taken in. The results are pretty poor when you see them first hand. I just tried the app out and believe me it's not folling anyone with half a brain.

Some here have less than that when it comes to UFO pics, just put best pic ever in title and the stars and flags will flow!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I know what your trying to do here, and that is try to convince us these photos aren't real and have been manipulated by an application that is freely available on the Apple Iphone.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
OK…..

Here’s my 2nd run at comparing the EXIF data pre – post the editing with the iPhone “UFO Gold” app, in order to ascertain if the results are consistent with the 1st comparison.

Here’s original pic #2:

Here’s pic #2 after I’ve inserted a UFO with the iPhone “UFO Gold” app.

Once again, it’s clearly apparent the image has been degraded.

Here’s a comparison table showing the difference in the EXIF data in this 2nd comparison:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f3b4d3a63aa6.jpg[/atsimg]

Once again, the EXIF file has been very significantly abbreviated post the editing, with a position field added that I think must refer to the insertion of the fake UFO.

I note that in this 2nd comparison, the GPS altitude data is correct (309m), unlike the 1st comparison (0m).

I also note the post edit orientation field has been added as per the 1st comparison, albeit the "value" is the same when the "UFO's were inserted in different positions. I will have to to look into the detail of this field.

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Simply put, technology has advanced too far to tell 100% anymore whether a UFO is real or fake. Somebody could capture a crystal clear 20-minute video of an actual UFO, and people will quickly write it off as CGI. The only way UFOs will ever be believed now is when they show up in real-time on television or around the world.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
Simply put, technology has advanced too far to tell 100% anymore whether a UFO is real or fake. Somebody could capture a crystal clear 20-minute video of an actual UFO, and people will quickly write it off as CGI. The only way UFOs will ever be believed now is when they show up in real-time on television or around the world.

SonicInfinity.....

I'm not so sure of that.

I think we are becoming more skilled at being able to identify "real" vs "fake'.

Or put aonther way.....'

We are getting better at using technology to debunk hoaxes made possible by that same technology.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/64de20c1df59.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Good Work,

I can see how the image has been degraded, although, since im looking at this site from my phone anyway, most images look a bit blurrrry...

What Id do to try make that pic better is first, enlarge the original image. Then insert the UFO as normal. Then try and reduce the size of the image.
I know the UFO may look like a 'little speck' but it may be a bit more realistic..?

Thats what I do when I do my own Avatars, eventhough some sort of Pixle'ate a touch.

(Ill try finding a app for my phone, even though its not a Iphone, and have a play around too
edit to add, apps are not compatible with my Nokia. Doh!)

[edit on 3/5/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

Netties Hermit.....

Also the GPS coordinates can be rather inaccurate. (Which we saw in the Sydney UFO case).

An interesting feature of the EXIF data extraction tool I downloaded is that you can "right click" on the GPS data & it immediately auto-links you to a Google Earth image of those coordinates.

I'm not sure of all such apps do that.

By using this, I was able to verify the GPS data in the photos I posted was very accurate (excluding the height) because I know exacxtly where I was standing when I took the pictures.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Esrom Escutcheon Esquire.....

OK.....

If I get some time tomorrow, I will try that & post the pic's & EXIF data pre - post the editing.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Yeah. Thats why I appreciate the advanced effort now. What I am concerned about at this stage is people bypassing this exif data?

What stance do we take as analysts when we are trying to form an opinion. Case in point that if someone photographs a geniune unidentified flying object on their camera, is there any plausible reason why Exif data wouldn't be made available by the camera?
if there isn't shouldnt we be adopting a hugely cautious approach to these people?

One of the best ways at actually getting to the bottom of an event or sighting is to configure the witness statement against their own evidence and statement. Obviously if the 2 match up thats a good thing for the witness.

What I am now concerned about is that with chinese lanterns, remote piloted controlled aircraft, sky lanterns and now UFO Phone Apps, we're only going to see a surge in sightings that are wasting crucial time in this field, crucial time I might add that could be better spent investigating the real cases that merit the attention. I cant help but think its been done on purpose to sway us from the real attainable goal of capturing something geniune.

The exif data you provided for the two images is certainly interesting. I'm assuming that once a user has decided to use a UFO phone app to make a photograph the original exif data is scrubbed over and edited with the app details, leaving a non-changeable signature?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
I think we are becoming more skilled at being able to identify "real" vs "fake'.

Hi MMN,

EXIF can conclusively prove a fake, but correct EXIF means nothing, it can be copied easily from another JPEG or restored from the original untouched image.

A harder test to pass for CGI or Photoshop hoaxers is to set the JPEG compression parameters right, quantization and Huffman tables, sub-sampling, thumbnail, etc. No off-the-shelf software will do that.

Then there are advanced image analysis techniques to detect inconsistency from the image data, not from metadata. Colorspace, shadows, noise, interpolation artifacts, double quantization...

[edit on 2010-5-3 by nablator]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I could tell it was fake pretty fast myself.Correct way of teaching UFO's are real has to do with credible eyewintesses agaisnt government crediblity of lies.Take it to Congress and the proof will show the government agencies have lied about some UFO cases and the CIA and FBI has lied about investigating some cases.Air Force has lied.FAA made a totaly absurd explnanation for the Chicago O'hare UFO.They explained it as a weather phenomenon that does not even exist.So establish credibilty and the credible UFO cases would win agaisnt the government whos credbilty with some UFO cases prove they lied.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Cool.
I have all real Tesla power drive ships in my channel so we don't need no ap.
Posted at youtube.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I wonder how long until an app comes that allows for the "video" of UFO's that begin to mimick other video's from before the Iphone app i noticed though on most of the pre determined UFO templates on the app or at least the ones with the glare/glint to them are more or less center left as you look at it if that doesn't change the hoaxer will need to be very clever as to how they place them in the picture in regards to a light source to really try and convince some one. Even still though I think it is a cool novelty at the least but I'd tire with it in seconds.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Your promoting the hoaxing of UFO's in an Alien/UFO subject of the forum...

I feel this subject is being mocked all the time now on ATS, its lost its reason for me joining.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It is a neat novelty I mean did no one expect this not to happen? But besides that hard core advocaters for the UFO phenomenon (outside some really strange people I am positive are out there) are very critical thinkers and often times look outside a picture at face value. People have been making UFO hoaxing for along time now and I am sure the truly vigilant will have no problem exposing Iphone pictures for what they truly are, besides if someone does post one of those pictures they are very clear pictures very rare if no information as to where it was taken is not available to cross reference with other people in that location with an object that big and clear in the sky would to me be shot down before it even got looked at call me close minded if you want to but photos should always be backed up with facts if possible. I realize as well that some pictures and videos have been taken in barren wastelands and all that with the possibility that no one was around but again compare the resolution of the UFO to the resolution of the actual photograph for a good start God knows if I saw one I'd be calling people like WTF you guys gotta see this stuff at this location or calling someone $hittin myself so request a phone log on U2U Idk just some thoughts

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnyc55

Jonnyc55.....

I assure you we are taking exactly the opposite approach to that.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I have this App and want my $1.99 back. If anyone falls for this they are stupid. I have messed around on this app alot trying to fool people and it's obvious they are fake. People will believe anything. I sure hope ATS members wouldn't fall for it. It's for fun and that is it.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnyc55

I feel this subject is being mocked all the time now on ATS, its lost its reason for me joining.

I really do not see it as this. And would certainly not allow a member to promote hoaxing here. I believe the OP has gone to great lengths to provide research into this application that has already been used to hoax people. He is providing the technical data to show us how easy it is to hoax using these popular applications and how to find out if its a hoax or not.

How can we discuss this topic without discussing the very very real reality that people out there hoax this subject all the time?

This subject is mocked because there are too many hoaxes out there and too many people that will just believe anything because there is a blip or blob in a photo or video w/out doing any research to find out if its something explainable or unexplainable.

The OP is doing this subject a service, not disservice, IMO.

[edit on May 3rd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It's a useful reference for investigation.

Okay, there are a lot of hoaxes, intentional and unintentional here on ATS but the critical eyes of members do find them out.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join