It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another oil rig overturns in inland waters off the coast of morgan city, Lousiana

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajmusicmedia
A few weeks ago I read about just this kind of possibility due to the dephts and pressures at which these rigs are digging; the article predicted that this kind of thing could happen; the rigs and the equipment used aren't built to withstand these pressures.

I will search for that article and come back to post it when I find it.

The rigs that are off our coast are built with tons of safeguards. The
roughnecks are trained over and over in safety. You say the rigs and
equipment used aren't built to withstand these pressures? They most
certainly are. They are built to withstand a lot more pressure than the
depth they were at. And it is not the rig, platforms or equipment that is
under pressure. It is the drill stem, or drill pipe that has the bit on the end
of it, where there is a lot of pressure. And the pressure is actually on the
inside of the pipe where water is forced downward to the end where
the drill is turning round and round. This pressurized water is what blows
all of the debris, rocks, dirt, etc., away from the drill bit so it can go on
down farther.

The actual pressure of the water down a few thousand feet is also
tremendous, but the drill stem is well built for this type of adverse
conditions.

These rigs can drill a lot deeper than that. And they have been drilling in the gulf for a long, long time. They know what they are doing. Don't worry about that. It will be very interesting to learn what the verdict is on these two "accidents" in the gulf.

These oil companies know exactly what they are doing and what they
are up against in this type of venture. The plot thickens.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
the very same way, they can bomb a South Korean Navy Ship. If you solve that crime, you solve the oil rig crime. They are both sabotage and both
underwater.

Isn't this the subject of a James Bond movie or a Tom Clancy novel? A rich billionaire in his multi-billion dollar submarine taking down targets from different sides to provoke a war?

That said, here is a photo of the second rig:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
OK , oil rigs dont just `turn over`. Might have been a very good reason Obama sent navy seals to the area. This cant be good.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Wow! Lots of speculation and jumping the gun here. Maybe this kind of this has happened before and just never been reported on? Its common when a particular topic has lots of news attention that similar topics will pop up all over the place. It may seem like this is happening "all at once" but the fact of the matter the smaller incidents probably have happened many times before but were not considered news worthy. Now that we have a larger incident the media reports on the smaller incidents to draw more attention. No need to think its the end of the world.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Reply to post by dbloch7986

This kind of thing* (not "this kind of this")
God help me. Typing long messages on a cell phone without using the "txt" formatting is harder than it looks. Lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

you would be amazed at the events and other things
that have come about from hollywood movies.

For instance: Original cell phone designs came
from Star Trek.

edit for spelling

[edit on 30-4-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Geez. Talk about alarmists. Where is the patience to analize rationally when more facts come in? Why all the jumpy conclusions? It appears to have been a decommissioned rig on the way to scrap heap. I agree with Phage. It looked top heavy.

Oh and in the interest of objectivity, here is a compilation of other "blow outs" comparable to first one:

Worst Offshore Blowouts

Unfortunately they happen. For all those who say IOF (It's Obama's Fault) Get real.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I thought it WBF.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

Oh good lord, I can already see the 2012 presidential elections already:

"My opponent will have you believe her policies are what's right for America. But wasn't one of her mottos during her failed 2008 election run "Drill, baby, drill"? Well, I'm sure you all remember what happened to the Gulf of Mexico just a couple years ago. We're still trying to clean THAT mess up. Do you really want another one if Palin is elected?"

I might mark this page to see if I just had a bonafide glimpse into the future!!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
For all those who say IOF (It's Obama's Fault) Get real.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

I'm not understanding this mentality either. I am certainly no fan of Obama, but to insinuate the extent of the travesty could have been averted had Obama acted more quickly is a bit over the top.

A private company's oil rig blows up, they assure us the spill is containable, and then divulge that there's a lot more oil than thought spilling out DAYS later. I'm not sure how that could be ANYONE'S fault other than BP's.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
Isn't this the subject of a James Bond movie or a Tom Clancy novel? A rich billionaire in his multi-billion dollar submarine taking down targets from different sides to provoke a war?

actually I know of 2 movies that follow that route.

The sum of all fears - used nuclear weapons to start US vs Russia

XXX - (with Vin Diesel) used submarine to dispel biological agents

there may be more

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Also could you imagine the disaster that it would be if a hurricane were to get all that oil and send it everywhere inland?

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

its not even hurricane season yet...so its VERY doubtful that anything like that would happen....maybe if it's july or august then its a possibility

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by ararisq

actually I know of 2 movies that follow that route.

The sum of all fears - used nuclear weapons to start US vs Russia

XXX - (with Vin Diesel) used submarine to dispel biological agents

there may be more

Don't forget the movie that started it all "Tomorrow Never Dies".

Line 2

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

In that picture you provided i was just wondering has it blocked the way so others cant get past?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

going by the picture it's just a tiddler.

Still it's not supposed to be that way up.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Huge disaster! Again.... and it seems a sabotage!

Maybe it is time TO PUT the word "The END" To the OIL Age!
Better for all of the earthlings.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It appears that the turned over rig was being taken to salvage. How much you wanna be it blocks a crucial waterway?

This whole Gulf thing is turning out maybe to be the big one. 6000 troops have now been mobilized.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Antor

What disaster?
No one was hurt. No fuel was spilled.
I guess it will cost the owners some money though, but their insurance might cover it.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 911stinks

Nope

There were no injuries, and navigation was not affected by the incident in the Charenton navigation channel south of U.S. 90 near Morgan City, Coast Guard spokesman Mike O'Berry said. "This is not a major waterway," he said. "Nobody was on board. It was being towed."

ca.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
AH! now we all can see whats going on! damn thats one hell of a capsize!
looking at the pic, thiers no conspiracy here, ..look at the platform. IT is barely capable of staying level with the huge rig on it. no wonder it capsized.
They would have been better off, use a patoon kinda device, kinda like what youde see on a airplane that lands on water, the end of its wings, thiers flaoting thingys on it. put them on all 4 sides as well as middle, and center ends.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join