It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says no aliens visit earth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

these are completely diffirent propositions. i will post more examples soon of people who think aliens exist somehwere but dont think we are being visited

Indeed, they are two different propositions.

1. Aliens exist.

2. Aliens aren't visiting the Earth.

However, when considering the evidence, these two propositions seem to be at odds with each other. How?

Taking ourselves as the only confirmed (by us) example of a sentient being...we set out to visit other worlds. Therefore, using the only yardstick available, it would seem a logical conclusion to put forth that aliens also, would set out to visit other worlds.

Now, we factor in the sheer number of stars, and observed, possible Earth-like planets. We factor in how life can exist in many different conditions, and how we've seen it struggle to gain a foothold here on Earth. Then, we factor in the age of the Universe, and that we are not in the oldest part of our own galaxy. We factor in our current knowledge and ideas of physics, and theorize on possible interstellar travel.

Sheer logic and statistics would dictate a large number of intelligent, alien, civilizations existing out there, with at least some small number of these (older than our own) that at some point ventured out to see the neighborhood. We ourselves have some ideas about how interstellar travel could be done. It isn't a giant leap to assume someone else has done so.

Then, you combine this underlying possibility with the photos, videos, eyewitness testimony, etc., and you've got a pretty strong reliability that we are being visited.

Another thing to consider... Suppose you are the government group/s responsible for studying ET-related items, technology, beings, etc. Who would you have on your team? I don't know about you....but Hawking is definitely on my short list.... There's an excellent chance that he'd be involved with any reverse-engineering effort, even if only on a consulting basis. So, if he's one of the secret-keepers...I wouldn't be looking for him to be in favor of stating alien visitations are true. I'm still looking forward to this series though, and dvr'ing it.

Or perhaps he has actually bothered to study archaeology and anthropology, thus knowing how much bunk is on shows like "Ancient Aliens".

Yep, I can't even bring myself to watch this yet...as I just know I'll be shaking my head at seeing misidentified art symbolism used to support aliens interacting with our ancestors... While I believe in visitation, I also believe in first narrowing down what is, and what is not, good evidence....

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
He's playing his role beautifully for TPTB. "Be afraid of aliens so we can protect you." That's all it is. Good old fashioned fear-mongering. There's no reason to read anymore into these statements. Take everything with a grain of salt. I respect Stephen Hawking, and love to read his theories on quantum physics, but this is just speculation at best.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

A very good analysis of his statements.

Now lets analyze the man.

Hawkins is a scientist. He knows full well the odds of alien lifeforms existing in the Universe. Many other scientists that are more distinguished than him believes that as well.

He is not about to contridict them. Would be academic suicide.

Now, he was not born intelligent. He needed input inorder to gain his intelligence since young, just like any other child. He leaptfrog above others, but such knowledge gained was by building upon the work of others.

Therefore he knows and is the practice of most good scientists to rely on reference materials to come up with an assessment or opinion, in the absence of experimentation where such theories proved not possible to conduct one.

Yet, for him to claim that Aliens are not here or had not visited Earth, and worse to say only weirdoes get to see them, is going against good science, and a repudiation of the scientific process, that which was the way he obtained his knowledge.

He is discounting the words and judiciary sworn testimonials of professionals who have no reason to lie, and worse, even those whose jobs are to observe and protect, such as policemen, soldiers and espacially pilots.

These people, whom protect us and are entrusted with weapons and equipment are weirdoes????

Thus why would he say it? My belief is:-

1. The years of pressurizing our govt officials for disclousure had been successful. The heat is on, and will continue to be on, so much that they had confronted and demanded the shadow TPTB to tell the truth.

2. TPTB realized that they can no longer hide, as their puppets are now turning against them, and these financial crisis had weakened their financial status as well as competency, losing control, was finally agreeable to 'conditional' disclosure upon final negotiation.

3. The conditions are:- a) aliens exist, but elsewhere. b.) aliens had not visited Earth, and any that had done so, had no dealings with govt. c.) aliens are a threat.

The reason for these conditions are easy to comprehend. Shadow TPTB does not want to be held responsible for past incidents, the loss of lives and basically wants to wash their dirty hands clean.

Aliens are INDEED a threat. BUT only to shadow TPTB, for they will stand to lose wealth and control over humans when advance tech is avaliable through diplomacy.

( Beings that had taken the trouble to travel light year distances to Earth do not come here simply to destroy or rob, without at least a chat. If TPTB or Hawkins fear them, just get a used car salesman to talk to them. I am sure something will come out of it and us winner. Never doubt the abilities of a used car salesmen! :-P )

Hawkins, being the respected scientist, whom stand to profit nothing, was made to be the fall guy for shadow TPTB to finally disclose the existance of aliens. The hands are wiped clean.

Any new reports or incidents of UFOs will be treated as a new phenomena, and taken with greater interest by the govts and MSM. Any down UFOs will be similarly reported, and technology revealed. ( provided there is no mass panic by the public by Hawkins' disclosure or TPTB will sieze back control, in the guise of 'protecting the public')

But incidents of the past will be laid to rest and forgotten.

This is the shadow TPTB's game plan. Question is, should mankind let them get away with it?

[edit on 26-4-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by tungus
Obviously he (Stephen Hawking) didn't see the "Ancient Aliens" the other night on the History channel, or he wouldn't have made this statement. It is very obvious that the humans didn't build these megaliths...

Or perhaps he has actually bothered to study archaeology and anthropology, thus knowing how much bunk is on shows like "Ancient Aliens".

Archeology and Anthropology don't have bunk?
Primitive people whose understanding of mechanics is that of bows and arrows were somehow capable of such engineering feats?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

wait a second im addressing the claim aliens are visiting us in spaceships. I offered you earlier to put 1 case and i would address it.

Im afraid your up against it claiming "ufos" are something other than alien ships. Ufology has already decided there doesnt seem much room for debate within the community. Poster boy for ufos is roswell, greys, abductions etc Is there any ufologist who isnt dead who doesnt subscribe to the ETH?

The ETH appeals to most believers & makes the most money.

What do i think ufos are? probably misidentifications, hoaxes, natural phenomenon. Its possible there is yet an unknown or unrecorded natural phenomenon behind some. but i dont think any are alien ships

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Pardon me for replying on behalf of another, just to prevent you hijacking the topic and base presumptions about others.

You DO have a right to your beliefs and your belief systems. Ignorance is blisss. May you find comfort in your perception of reality, as your 5 senses dictated to you daily.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jonas86

even when you have one when you really see one the last thing on your mind is where is my camera. All you can think is what is it? You are awestruck, excited, scared and afraid if you blink it will go away.
Its easy to be a critic when you haven't sat in someones shoes.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It seems to be silly to assume that we are the only intelligent civilization in the universe. Most people agree with that one here. Astronomers now state that the best chances for a planet to have evolved life would be found orbiting red dwarfs. Those stars are very long lived and extremely stable stars. That would also mean the possibility of planets that are billions of years older than the Earth.

So, taking the theories that are accepted here as rational, would it be so hard to believe that there are civilizations millions if not billions of years ahead of us technologically? Wormholes, faster than light travel and even teleportation to another star system (or galaxy) might be among their capabilities.

To rule out any sort of visitation of Earth by extraterrestrials is illogical.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
wait i am so confused....i just saw 2 threads where SH said aliens are real and visiting blah-blah-blah, now he says they are not? which is it ATS?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by I.C. Weiner

he thinks aliens exist somwhere in the universe but doesnt believe any are visiting us.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Astronomers now state that the best chances for a planet to have evolved life would be found orbiting red dwarfs

huh? any astronomer who thinks that is definitley in the minority. All astronomers i have seen comment think M class stars suck. Maybe a good place to migrate to. but there are many problems with M stars in terms of life starting and evolving there.

G type stars like sol seems a much better bet.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Primitive people whose understanding of mechanics is that of bows and arrows were somehow capable of such engineering feats?

Their understanding of mechanics was far beyond "bows and arrows". Perhaps you should research and study archaeology beyond what shows like "Ancient Astronauts" tells you.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Perhaps you should research and study archaeology beyond what shows like "Ancient Astronauts" tells you.

You think "Ancient Astronauts" theory is false?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I've always maintained; it doesn't matter a hill of beans whether you believe in aliens or not - THEY believe in YOU! And in no small way! (For better or for worse)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551

Perhaps you should research and study archaeology beyond what shows like "Ancient Astronauts" tells you.

You think "Ancient Astronauts" theory is false?

Yes I do.

And please, let me save you the time and effort. Yes, I have looked at the evidence. And no, I do not care about what spaghetti-against-the-wall example you are going to cite. This thread is about Stephen Hawking, not ancient astronauts.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

I think it`s time Stephen was put out to graze.
It`s his opinion....but....just an opinion.
Just because he`s clever at a few things doesn`t mean that he`s correct in everything he says.
I thought i knew everything but i got the second question wrong on " Who wants to be a millionaire " !
So, we can all make mistakes.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Their understanding of mechanics was far beyond "bows and arrows". Perhaps you should research and study archaeology beyond what shows like "Ancient Astronauts" tells you.

Far beyond bows and arrows? I presume you have done the research you speak of and maybe you can tell us how come instead of seeing this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47ed628ba468.jpg[/atsimg]

or this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0875fa743924.jpg[/atsimg]

we see this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02413e075adb.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6d9848c01268.jpg[/atsimg]

Maybe it is you and Stephen Hawking who should do the research before speaking on a subject.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101

"I discount suggestions that UFO's contain beings from outer space. I think any visits by aliens, would be much more obvious, and probably also, much more unpleasant."

"What is the explanation of why we have not been visited? One possibility is that the argument, about the appearance of life on Earth, is wrong. Maybe the probability of life spontaneously appearing is so low, that Earth is the only planet in the galaxy, or in the observable universe, in which it happened. Another possibility is that there was a reasonable probability of forming self reproducing systems, like cells, but that most of these forms of life did not evolve intelligence."

I am discounting reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?

WOW!!!

This is Stephen Hawking saying this!!! WOW!! i was right all along.

sources as requested:
woodside.blogs.com... & www.dailygalaxy.com...

[edit on 25-4-2010 by yeti101]

I like how Sagan made the argument...

Just take these factors in to account...

1: the universe is about 1 billion years old. We have been intelligent and looking for aliens for about 10000 years
That's not a very long time.

The chances of life meeting up with other life, when we are late comers would be a very rare occasion.

Just think, 15 BILLION years have elapsed since the creation of the universe. We have only been paying attention for 10,000 years!

==========
Slim chance of meeting up because we have not been around long enough to search. The universe would have to be over populated for us to bargain on this.

2: point 2 is simple....

It takes light 7 mins to get from the earth to the sun... 7 mins travelling at 186,000 miles PER SECOND.

It then takes light 4 years... just to get to the closest star... 8 years to get to the next.

Space is big. Its really big. The chances of us even having life near us, is so small, and then on top of that, the length it would take us to get there.

3: yes the aliens could have faster than light technology. The bottom line is, according to our present day physics, this is not possible. So yes, we can dream, but for now, its a dream...

My point is simple. The chances of us meeting up with another intelligent life form, when the universe is so old, and so big, and us being so young in our development, the chances are pretty slim.

Its going to take us awhile, A LONG WHILE, before we move out in to space and find the first intelligent life. I think it will be common to find life, just not intelligent life. It would be pretty sad, that when we move out in space, that we found intelligent life over and over, but then found out that the civilization had died... and left remnants... only to find out, we are very much alone.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghpink
3: yes the aliens could have faster than light technology. The bottom line is, according to our present day physics, this is not possible. So yes, we can dream, but for now, its a dream...

Physics does not say it is "impossible" to find ways around the limitations of special relativity. While speculations of exotic propulsion methods are purely theoretical, it means the existence cannot be discounted. It would be like saying "well yes, advanced propulsion methods may be possible, but for the sake of the argument we're going to assume no advanced civilization discovers any of these methods".

As I've argued before, if exotic means of propulsion are possible which allow for swift travel between the stars, then advanced civilizations will discover these methods. And if exotic propulsion is a reality, we should be seeing ET probes.

You argue from a very cynical, theoretical point of view. While it could be valid, I doubt it is and it would also require you to ignore a substantial size of high quality UFO reports that fit the ETH hypothesis.

Asside from the fact that you don't quantify your supposedly small chance that we'll meet up with ET (which is a direct contradiction of the Fermi Paradox), it is all based on a number of very questionable assumptions. Fact is we don't know how many civilizations are out there, where they are, how advanced they are, etc. Pretending to know that we do know and thus discounting the possibility that some UFOs are extraterrestrial probes seems rather foolish and bigoted.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by jclmavg]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
He's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join