It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says no aliens visit earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Well I'm realy glad you're not in charge then.
snip
I doubt you'd feel the same way if someone said that about you.

Allow me to hoist you by your own petard: no one can say that about me, yet, because I'm a useful member of society. Right here, on Aliens and UFOs, I've helped a hell of a lot more than Stephen Hawking ever did since he got struck by his immobilizing disease. I've supplied useful information, a lot of members have said in replies that I've helped them see topics in a different, more productive light, etc. And I don't spout useless info about black holes and whatever else Hawking is famous for.

When I say something, I can almost always back it up with sources that are reliable. I don't live in an atmosphere that is breathable to only a few, I live in the real world and I contribute to that world.

But if someone was to say here or anywhere that they can't wait until they read my obituary, it's their right to express themselves as they see fit. My obituary will be a glowing one anyway!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Science abdicated its role in this subject over forty years ago with the publication of the Condon Committee's Scientific Study of Unidentified Flying Objects. UFO reports and contemporary science are mutually exclusive now and Hawking is simply carrying on that tradition of those that came before him in the field with his skepticism and denial. No employment-desiring scientist is going to go against the status quo.

Expecting a pro-conspiracy quote from any scientific mind today is like seeking a "There is no God" statement from the clergy. Its not going to happen with the dogma that is firmly entrenched.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Frith]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think he's a brilliant mathematician, but when it comes to theoretical physics, his concepts are short-sighted and rarely fit the observations. The only reason he's famous is because he's in a wheelchair. Roger Penrose is far more brilliant and his theories about physics blow Hawking's out of the water. For one thing, he wouldn't be stupid enough to make bold assertions on the nature of extraterrestrial perspective. Okay, my slam on Hawking is done =)

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
LOL, I almost want to say, that from the way Hawking is talking lately, that he is a troll, essentially.

He knows saying these things is practically trolling. (Which brings in GOOD RATINGS! Cha Ching! $$)

A real scientist would not make a massive blanket statement which they have NO WAY TO KNOW EITHER WAY.

Was Hawking alive ever minute of human history? Does he know what every human has seen ?

He's not a scientist. Scientists don't say stuff this ignorant and assuming things without any facts to go with that.

He is trolling. Obviously.

Ugh.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101

"I discount suggestions that UFO's contain beings from outer space. I think any visits by aliens, would be much more obvious, and probably also, much more unpleasant."

Obviously he (Stephen Hawking) didn't see the "Ancient Aliens" the other night on the History channel, or he wouldn't have made this statement. It is very obvious that the humans didn't build these megaliths nor they moved them up the mountains in Machu Pichu all by themselves, to give just one example.

As for being unpleasant, I can only imagine what being a slave to an alien god must have been like. We now call them aliens but the ancients called them gods.

I am discounting reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?

Must be that British sarcasm that Stephen Hawking should call anyone a weirdo...

[edit on 26-4-2010 by tungus]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
He's seriously getting old.

There's a a lot of sightings with people who definitely do no fall into the "cranks and weirdos" category. As a matter of fact, a lot of people of didn't even believe in UFOs before they saw 'em.

Some of them work for the military, some in the law enforcement etc.

As a matter of fact, I have the brief history of time on top of this screen as writing this right now. One of the most easily understandable science books for idiots like me, and one of the most enlightening books ever written, but his comments lately..

[edit on 26/4/2010 by Tryptych]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

there is zero evidence of ET visitation in that case. None of the witnesses even claim anything of the sort. Try again

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by tungus

"I discount suggestions that UFO's contain beings from outer space. I think any visits by aliens, would be much more obvious, and probably also, much more unpleasant."

Obviously he (Stephen Hawking) didn't see the "Ancient Aliens" the other night on the History channel, or he wouldn't have made this statement. It is very obvious that the humans didn't build these megaliths nor they moved them up the mountains in Machu Pichu all by themselves, to give just one example.

You went too far with that comment. Even VonDaniken admits there's no proof of ancient aliens, and his ideas are speculative, which is pretty much what that show confirmed, lots of speculation, no proof. Just because we don't know how humans did something, doesn't mean they couldn't have done it.

However, I think Hawking went a little bit too far. I was OK with him saying that he's seen no evidence that UFOs are piloted by aliens ("I discount suggestions that UFO's contain beings from outer space."), I've seen no evidence of that either.

Where he went too far was with his "cranks and weirdos" comment as certainly some UFO eyewitnesses are credible observers like pilots and policemen, who are neither cranks nor weirdos. So he should give them credit that they've really seen a UFO, regardless of WHAT it is.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

WOW!!!

This is Stephen Hawking saying this!!! WOW!! i was right all along.

Hi yeti101, interesting post.
Are you willing to explain to me here what you exactly mean with your saying “I was right all along”.

Theres no evidence of any probes out there but if we dont loook we will never find them even if they are there.

Do you really think that when they would discover such a probe they would say that in public?

Perhaps you find this interesting.

A video interview with Clifford Stone, Roswell, New Mexico, November 2006

Shot, edited and directed by Kerry Cassidy and Bill Ryan

Kerry: OK.

Clifford: Well, I’ll tell you this, I think that by 2016 that something better have happened. Because at 2016 I think that we’re going to have to announce to the world that there’s a probe that comes very close to the Earth every 15 or 20 years. And we’ve been calling it an asteroid. It’s not an asteroid. But it actually in reality is an artificial probe. In other words, somebody else put it here. They have found us long time ago. The technology will probably be pretty much on a par to, say, Voyager. It’ll be old antiquated technology by all their standards.

K: So what are you saying? Is this probe… do you know what race?

C: I’m saying we have already found it. Our paradigm says that it can’t be an artificial craft of any sort, therefore we refuse to accept that and we call it an asteroid. I’m talking about BG1991. Roughly 30 meters in diameter, highly polished surface. Asteroids don’t have a highly polished surface. It took corrective course changes to avoid collision with another asteroid. That don’t happen. This one it did.

projectcamelot.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by tungus

You went too far with that comment. Even VonDaniken admits there's no proof of ancient aliens, and his ideas are speculative, which is pretty much what that show confirmed, lots of speculation, no proof. Just because we don't know how humans did something, doesn't mean they couldn't have done it.

We don't have proof in a sense that we don't have alien overlord(s) residing right now on top of mountains, like El Shaddai.

The evidence, however, is scattered all over the planet.
We have huge megaliths.
We have precisely cut stones.
We have legends of gods, demigods and battles in the sky.
We have Gilgamesh who seeks immortality because he's 2/3 god.
I can go on and on.

But this thread is about Stephen Hawking who makes announcements like these to counteract the Ancient Aliens show on the History Channel.
Why are they(the establishment) so threatened?

[edit on 26-4-2010 by tungus]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by spacevisitor

Are you willing to explain to me here what you exactly mean with your saying “I was right all along”.

hi spacevisitor, i mean basically the same as this comment from a similarly titled thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

People on this board like myself and others have been saying this for years with each new discovery. WOW!

same thing, an appeal to scientific authority which confirms my point of view. although stephen hawkings comments on ufos dont seem so well received and people suddenly not so eager to agree with him. At least im consistant! I would be interested to see if the OP of the other thread gives as much weight to his views on this as they do to his views on life in the cosmos. Somehow i suspect they wont.

Do you really think that when they would discover such a probe they would say that in public?

of course 100% we would be told. Mr stones stories are fun but he gives zero evidence for his claims. looking forward to 2016 though

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

hi spacevisitor, i mean basically the same as this comment from a similarly titled thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

People on this board like myself and others have been saying this for years with each new discovery. WOW!

Oké, so if I understand you correct, you agree with hawking's saying and therefore believe in existing Aliens out there in space, and with Aliens I mean intelligent beings like us?

But do you also believe then that some of them are capable of what hawking's said here?

Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.”

same thing, an appeal to scientific authority which confirms my point of view. although stephen hawkings comments on ufos dont seem so well received and people suddenly not so eager to agree with him. At least im consistant! I would be interested to see if the OP of the other thread gives as much weight to his views on this as they do to his views on life in the cosmos. Somehow i suspect they wont.

I have great respect for that man, but I disagree with more of his views then in this case his view on the UFO/Alien phenomenon.

[edit on 26/4/10 by spacevisitor]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Why is it that most of these scientists have such linear minds. It really makes you wonder if they are being paid to shut up.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   

intelligent beings existing somewhere else in the universe probably. In our galaxy im still on the fence. I think its possible theres others but i also think its possible we are alone in the milky way.

i dont necessarily agree all tech civs would want to conquer other alien civs. Unless they have a good reason like habitable worlds are rare, they need a new home etc

its dificult to speculate on what an advance civ does becuase we havnt met any. We tend to project our own thinking and history onto others. That may not be the case. In science speculation is desired but experimentation is definitive

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike
Allow me to hoist you by your own petard: no one can say that about me, yet, because I'm a useful member of society..

I don't think they'll be any petard hoisting made by that reply - are you seriously suggesting that society has no 'use' for the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University?

As you may be aware, Stephen Hawkings is a very well respected scientist and even if his work is based on theoretical physics and you don't agree with his opinions - at least he's not the one wishing death on paraplegics with neuro-muscular dystrophy.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

i think i did respond to your list of ufo cases in the thread about the sky at night program where they discussed ufos.

Yes, never a more vague, evasive, ambiguous reply if ever there was one.

Patrick Moore looks at ET Life (UK viewers Only)

If I had one question it is why can't you ever bring yourself to engage in deductive reasoning when it comes to objectively examining the objects involved in specific UFO incidents?

It realy seems to me like you've already made your mind up about a great many things and have 'utter contempt' for people who take the UFO subject seriously - Kevin Randle touches on some relevant points in this clip, particularly around 1:02.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

intelligent beings existing somewhere else in the universe probably. In our galaxy im still on the fence. I think its possible theres others but i also think its possible we are alone in the milky way.

Why do you assume that they can exist probably only somewhere else in the universe then in our own galaxy, because what could makes it impossible or difficult for intelligent live come into being in ours?

Because look what is said here.

Scientists have reported finding a fundamental building block of life in samples of comet Wild 2 brought to Earth by NASA’s Stardust spacecraft.

The chemical, glycine, “is an amino acid used by living organisms to make proteins, and this is the first time an amino acid has been found in a comet,” said Jamie Elsila of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. “Our discovery supports the theory that some of life’s ingredients formed in space and were delivered to Earth long ago by meteorite and comet impacts.”

The discovery “supports the idea that the fundamental building blocks of life are prevalent in space, and... that life in the universe may be common,” added Carl Pilcher, Director of the NASA Astrobiology Institute which co-funded the research.

www.world-science.net...

i dont necessarily agree all tech civs would want to conquer other alien civs. Unless they have a good reason like habitable worlds are rare, they need a new home etc

I agree, but my question was more meant for if you believe that some of those intelligences out there are already capable of traveling among the stars for whatever reason they would find important?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
No, he says they exist and should be avoided at all costs, its official

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Where he went too far was with his "cranks and weirdos" comment as certainly some UFO eyewitnesses are credible observers like pilots and policemen, who are neither cranks nor weirdos. So he should give them credit that they've really seen a UFO, regardless of WHAT it is.

Arbitrageur -I agree there's no proof that UFOs are piloted by aliens, I also agree with you about Stephen Hawking's 'cranks and weirdos' comment as I thought it was pretty irresponsible and ignorant - as you say there are a great many credible UFO witnesses out there and I think the average person on the street would be genuinely shocked to see just how many unexplained police and pilot reports there actualy are.

Dr James Mcdonald makes an interesting point below and I think it would be good for Stephen Hawkings to acquaint himself with some his work if he is going to keep making statements about the UFO subject:

"The type of UFO reports that are most intriguing are close-range sightings of machine-like objects of unconventional nature and unconventional performance characteristics, seen at low altitudes, and sometimes even on the ground. The general public is entirely unaware of the large number of such reports that are coming from credible witnesses... When one starts searching for such cases, their number are quite astonishing. Also, such sightings appear to be occurring all over the globe." (Hearings before the Committee on Science and Astronautics, U.S. House of Representatives, July 29, 1968.)

Dr. James E. McDonald, Senior Physicist at the Institute of Atmospheric Physics at the University of Arizona

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
OH MY GOD!! Stephen Hawkings said it, it must be true! Please understand that him just like me and you is human and has the right to his own opinions. Now if hawkings showed a video of an alien telling us how much we are all so wrong and that aliens have never come here i might have to believe the alien. ('
') Other than that i guess i am crackpot wierdo still staring at the sky's. Oh well i think they are there and i think it'll be proven in a very big way in my life time.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Agnostic_Alien]

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Agnostic_Alien]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join