It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says no aliens visit earth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

"I discount suggestions that UFO's contain beings from outer space. I think any visits by aliens, would be much more obvious, and probably also, much more unpleasant."

"What is the explanation of why we have not been visited? One possibility is that the argument, about the appearance of life on Earth, is wrong. Maybe the probability of life spontaneously appearing is so low, that Earth is the only planet in the galaxy, or in the observable universe, in which it happened. Another possibility is that there was a reasonable probability of forming self reproducing systems, like cells, but that most of these forms of life did not evolve intelligence."

I am discounting reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?

WOW!!!

This is Stephen Hawking saying this!!! WOW!! i was right all along.

sources as requested:
woodside.blogs.com... & www.dailygalaxy.com...

[edit on 25-4-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I am discounting reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?

ya cool ive seen them... guess im a crank or a weirdo right??

Just because Steven Hawking says there aren't any doesn't mean he knows as a fact...

It's HIS opinion, and while he may be extremely smart it doesn't make what he says the truth...

You don't be so quick to say you are right.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Well now I'm confused
Going back to bed & pull the covers over my head.

When did he say this?? Need a link, maybe he discovered some new info. since this statement.

SH says aliens DO exist:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 5 oClock

you make an extremely common mistake of thinking aliens existing somwhere in the universe is the same thing as them visiting earth.

these are completely diffirent propositions. i will post more examples soon of people who think aliens exist somehwere but dont think we are being visited

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
What SH says or does is only one man's freedom of speech and thought. He has a right to his beliefs as is according to his belief system.

He is but only one man, one voice in the pool of many hundred thosands others. regardless if one is the most intelligent man on Earth or a village 'weirdo' as he claims.

He is only telling the truth, based on his human 5 sense of reality. He had not witness an UFO before or been abducted. But that is only his 'truth' and reality. Anything else he says is only a personal hypothesis, regardless if he thinks UFOs are real or not.

No need to take offense.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by 5 oClock

you make an extremely common mistake of thinking aliens existing somwhere in the universe is the same thing as them visiting earth.

Gotcha, I jumped the gun on that. My bad!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5 oClock
When did he say this??

I believe Steven Hawking said this on or around 24 September 2008 and I did not believe him then as I do not believe him now.

At the time he had said this I was still trying to come to terms with the UFO sighting I had witnessed on the 8th of may that year so it seemed to be a very odd coincidence that he would come out and say this. The man is a genius for sure and I respect his contributions to human knowledge but he is also just a man and though he knows much about the world of science, I know for a fact one thing he does not – UFO’s are here and they are here all the time.

I suspect that it is no accident when you find yourself gazing up at them but that is only my own subjective opinion at the moment.

I do not need his validation (or anyone else's) to know that what I have seen more than once was not a figment of a cranks imagination and though I should probably be offended by his derogatory terms I really do not care about his opinion on such matters. It is obvious he has not seen them and thus with no disrespect to the man he has no authority on the issue – in my opinion.

Even if I had seen some wild and very realistic hallucination that would fly in the face of what happened when I shared a UFO encounter with four other people (one of whom was unconscious). My wife was with me and two ambulance men were across the other side of a road loading a patient into the back of their vehicle as my dog stood between my wife and the UFO.

It drifted silently above my house, the sky an extremely silent and also a very strange electric blue/purple colour that I had commented on as we had left the house several minutes earlier. I am not prone to hallucinations, what I have seen was real and I can happily in good humour thumb my nose at Professor hawking and I can crush a polygraph with my truth

[edit on 25-4-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Scientists still cannot prove nor disprove Hawking's big bang theory, nor detect Hawking radiation from singularities (or, black holes) which is only 'predicted' to be emitted. It's just simply the theory that makes more sense than others with what we know at this time.

Hawking has a knack for commenting on areas that presently cannot be discredited or verified. It doesn't matter who you are if you outright discount something like this 100% or outright support something like this 100% when the fact is you do not know - and he doesn't, as ingenious as he may be - it's an outright lie. Just say 'it's possible but I doubt it' rather than 'I discount all of it'. Theoretical physics is easy once you get over the math. It's all speculation matching to mathematics which, when the right equation is employed the answer marries the two. But of course, conveniently, we cannot disprove him.

My opinion: I don't know and I won't be so impertinent as to hazard a guess with the very little any of us do know.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I have a lot of respect for Steven Hawking but i wonder how much reaserch he's actually done in to the subject. Is this just an educated guess or what?

Maybe he would like to enlighten us on whats actually being spotted in the skys world wide. I would imagine he would take the military aircraft possition.

Its actually pretty close minded for someone with such a great imagination.

Maybe he's just part of the cover up.

Steven said it so it must be true! Yeah right!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

It was believed there may be other planets orbiting nearby stars, but some astronomers thought it was a very rare thing. Now they are discovering planets are quite common and are now searching for Earth like planets. This shows that some astronomers were wrong about planets being rare.

If aliens do exist in other parts of the universe, then it is possible they have evolved way beyond us in their capabilities. They may have developed faster than light capabilities, or the ability to use wormholes as a way to travel the long distances required. Some may be millions of years behind us, others are millions (if not billions) of years ahead of us.

Although I respect Stephen Hawking, he is wrong on making an assumption that no extraterrestrials have visited us. There are too many credible cases out there that suggest otherwise. Calling them names does not eliminate their credibility.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

All we know is that for life to exist as it does here on this planet. Certain criteria has to be met. We leave no space for species that could exist in different conditions. Who's to say that there is'nt life on every planet we spot near a star?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Can you please provide a link to your source?
Thank you.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Magnus47]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This would be like me saying the are no whales in the ocean. I have been to the beach a zillion times, gone out on charter fishing boats, been on a cruise, been to beaches in foreign countries but have never seen a whale. So therefore they are a mythical creature and do not exist.
If I were a celebrity this would carry more weight to my words.
Ha! I hate to say it but he doesn't get out much, hasn't been exposed.
He is rather physically limited, and even if he wasn't he still might never see one due to the random possibilities of chance.
The fact that he throws out this statement makes it even more speculated
upon and talked about. I am sure it makes alot of people who were exposed very angry. Everyone's sense of reality is uniquely theirs.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

I do not think ufos would visit earth like he said and attack, although i think ufos have been here, i think an alien culture more advanced would use techniques to control the planet to do what they want. They would not need to come here in force, all they need is to control the power structure of it all.

I think thats is what happens, and i think any advanced culture would never attack when they have things like mind control, and maybe aliens could control our reality too.

Its more likely they would play with our reality, and control our planet from afar. I think this is what they probably do.

How would any of us know. Like the fact that i think the earth made all the nukes, to make sure no one could take over the earth, but i doubt any one will do that, they just would control our reality.

[edit on 4/25/2010 by andy1033]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

This guy (Stephen) p....s me off! Just who the hell does he think he is? He is a wheelchair-bound cripple who's given too much air time to spew his b.s. I can't stand him! Who cares what he says about anything? He hasn't experienced the real world, OUT HERE, so how does he think that whatever he spews is worth reading? "...almost certain to exist.." is the same as I don't know! A real scientific comment! This guy a leading scientist? In what? "Hawkin's logic on aliens..." is non-existent! He is just another poor-man's Drake, coming up with meaningless equations.

The only warning he should is to his caretakers when he has diarrhea!

I can't wait to read his obituary.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by The Shrike]

[edit on 25-4-2010 by The Shrike]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101

"I discount suggestions that UFO's contain beings from outer space. I think any visits by aliens, would be much more obvious, and probably also, much more unpleasant."

"What is the explanation of why we have not been visited? One possibility is that the argument, about the appearance of life on Earth, is wrong. Maybe the probability of life spontaneously appearing is so low, that Earth is the only planet in the galaxy, or in the observable universe, in which it happened. Another possibility is that there was a reasonable probability of forming self reproducing systems, like cells, but that most of these forms of life did not evolve intelligence."

WOW!!!

This is Stephen Hawking saying this!!! WOW!! i was right all along.

yeti, this may sound a bit harsh but either supply us with a source that can be verified or shut up!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67

Originally posted by 5 oClock
When did he say this??

I believe Steven Hawking said this on or around 24 September 2008 and I did not believe him then as I do not believe him now.

At the time he had said this I was still trying to come to terms with the UFO sighting I had witnessed on the 8th of may that year so it seemed to be a very odd coincidence that he would come out and say this. The man is a genius for sure and I respect his contributions to human knowledge but he is also just a man and though he knows much about the world of science, I know for a fact one thing he does not – UFO’s are here and they are here all the time.

I suspect that it is no accident when you find yourself gazing up at them but that is only my own subjective opinion at the moment.

I do not need his validation (or anyone else's) to know that what I have seen more than once was not a figment of a cranks imagination and though I should probably be offended by his derogatory terms I really do not care about his opinion on such matters. It is obvious he has not seen them and thus with no disrespect to the man he has no authority on the issue – in my opinion.

Even if I had seen some wild and very realistic hallucination that would fly in the face of what happened when I shared a UFO encounter with four other people (one of whom was unconscious). My wife was with me and two ambulance men were across the other side of a road loading a patient into the back of their vehicle as my dog stood between my wife and the UFO.

It drifted silently above my house, the sky an extremely silent and also a very strange electric blue/purple colour that I had commented on as we had left the house several minutes earlier. I am not prone to hallucinations, what I have seen was real and I can happily in good humour thumb my nose at Professor hawking and I can crush a polygraph with my truth

[edit on 25-4-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

Next time take your cell phone with you and take some photos, so we can all prove Hawking wrong. This really is the greatest mystery of all time, and words really are as good as nothing, as amazing as they may be. Wish I'd see one someday...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Cripmeister -there's a link here from the 50th anniversary of NASA:

www.dailygalaxy.com...

There's also this comment he made at the Whitehouse dealing with UFO coverups.

THE WHITEHOUSE, WASHINGTON DC

Cambridge University physicist, Stephen Hawking was the guest lecturer at the second Millennium Evening at the White House on March 6, 1998. With President Bill and Hillary Clinton looking on, Stephen Hawking admitted the possibility of a UFO cover-up during the C-Span television's coverage of "Imagination and Change: Science in the Next Millennium." Professor Stephen Hawking often considered one of brightest men on Earth, who authored "A Brief History of Time" was a guest lecturer. Stephen Hawking after comments about the growth of population and scientific knowledge stated, "Clearly the present exponential growth cannot continue indefinitely. So what will happen? One possibility is that we wipe ourselves out completely by some disaster such as a nuclear war. "There is a sick joke that the reason we have not been visited by extra-terrestrials is that when a civilization reaches our stage of development it becomes unstable and destroys itself. "Of course it is possible that UFO's really do contain aliens as many people believe, and the government is hushing it up" I wouldn't like to comment on that. "Personally I believe there is a different explanation why we have not been contacted, but I won't go into it here. "However, even without that, there is a very real danger that we will kill everything on this planet now that we have the technological power to do so. Even if we don't destroy ourselves completely, there is a possibility that we might descend into a state of brutalization and barbarity like the opening scene of "Terminator"

Link

Cheers.

Originally posted by The Shrike
I can't wait to read his obituary.

That's a bit much isn't it?

Disagree with him all you want but don't wish death on the man.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Scientists tend to get into the mindset that because they are scientists that they are the ultimate source of all knowledge and that unless they have personally developed an idea that they must attack it, because to allow such ideas to exist is a threat to their obviously very fragile ego. So go ahead and parade in front of us all the people on Earth who have their heads stuck firmly up their butts. I don't care what they have to say.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I believe aliens visit Earth, i dont think former presidents, airforce officials, canadas former secetary of defense, astronauts, are seen as cranks or weirdos,

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join