It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIAA Wants Gov. to Delete Your Illegal Downloads

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

Yeah well if they attempt to do that to me I will personally sue the 5H!T out of them for invasion of privacy. They are a civilian company who is butt hurt that they could be making more money if pirating didn't exist. That is unconstitutional and is illegal rather it was passed by our gov. or not. it's one thing for our gov. to monitor telephone lines to prevent terrorist attacks (which I don't even believe in) but it's another thing for corporations to invade us like that.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LieBuster

Thanks for that, there were a couple of things in there I was unaware of. You can't know it all and with ICT tech, you learn something new every single day.

It's a certain fact that your web browser is defo the weak link in all web security and I generally find that they are all as bad as eachother (with the exception of Internet Exploiter, which is obviously the worst
)

ETA:

I say double good luck to the Gov trying to get access to my machine, because after blowing my motherboard a couple of days ago, even I can't access it!

6 year old computer that's been continuously upgraded over the years Vs a fried motherboard... Hmm, methinks it's time to build a new one, a better one, a more powerful one, one with SATA connections! With SATA, I could RULE THE WORLD!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

[edit on 19-4-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Heck, my Windows XP is a pirated version. Wonder how they are going to deal with that. It would be funny if one day I turn my computer on and see Windows 98 installed

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by discordantone

Trouble is 60% of all new laptops have a ET call home program built into the bios so even if you take a hammer to your hard drive and run sco unix you are still being watched and beleive it or not but even printers are printing a hidden bit pattern on each page so they can watch you.

Yeah i know it sounds like science fiction but do a google and let me know if you think i'm wrong.

MAC Address + IP + HTTP was never about protecting uses and was allways about tracking users and 1984 with Google/EBAY/YouTube being the bigest players trying to fight it out with MS.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The RIAA really has no idea.. all this time they've been taking individuals to court and thinking of crazy ideas like this.. they could have set up their own version of i-tunes years ago and they could have advertising supported free legal downloads.. but instead they have sat around complaining about it and the music industry is going down at least 10% every year.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

This will never happen. In order for that to work it would scan files onyour computer based on a program in the cable modem that tells them when a piracy thing has occured.

Blizzard Entertainment used this method to stop hackers years ago, and had a class action law suit against them and lost.

This is against the privacy of all citizens, It will not be passed.

The program will read all your files, its bad enough we have keyloggers in all FCC keyboards, why do they need to push the privacy issue

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
stupid move ill just buy a external hd and put all my stuff on that and when i surf the net i will just leave it unplug from my comp

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The RIAA doing this? Really? They have a notoriously poor record of determining "legal" from "illegal". They even complain when their own bands don't follow their rules and release free demo music of individual tracks, then go out and sue the bands for not listening to them.

The RIAA is very quickly becoming the next SCO, in terms of the legal powers that they now demand and the lawsuits they're throwing out on whims.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The amount of bravado and ignorance on this thread is frightening. One thing I have learned over the years, is that software developers without oversight are generally sloppy, and lazy. Without some kind of quality control they will often leave loose ends that would allow an exploit. Of course everyone here is the exception...

Having said that, the whole premise for this thread is retarded. It will not happen as there is no reliable way to determine what is a copyright violation or a valid purchased file. That is beyond the whole idea that this would be an incredible violation of privacy and seriously exploited by hackers if it were to be implemented.

Seriously, just fear mongering by RIAA, SPA and the rest of them.

..Ex

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

Yeah, we know that....it's just more fun if a few guys get to hyperventilate...call it aerobic exercise!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Good 'ole external hardrives ;-)

Gods gift for the illegal downloader.

Whack the downloads onto the external hardrive and unconnect the hardrive from the PC, win

Unless the search has already undergone.....

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
People that pirate either cant afford, or wouldnt have bought in the 1st place , its just a scare tactic to make more money

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Well]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Milions of people download illegally do you really think they can pullt his off? No they can't. we will always win and you know what the funny thing is that the people who try to shut this down have people downloading illegally in there friend circle.

Because everyone downloads!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
One of the best ways to avoid spyware, spamware, viruses or any other intrusion is to use a Linux boot disk. No matter what you get into it can't write back to a closed session on a disk. Any invasion will be removed once you shut down the system. Files can be stored on an external disk that does not have an operating system. There is no live operating system to infect when using a live disk. The OS is what is actually under attack.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
How will they be able to distinguish between my blue ray / CD /DVD rips I made for my media server for my network. If I own them i can put them on there....

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The whole point is - everyone can now create his own constitution and push it against everyone else.

This is a mockery, nothing else. Their breath is short, though. The whole environment which enables such idiots to take action like this one, is going down very soon. Already.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Cant there be something invented that when you have finished a download, and finally your computer owns it. That you change the file name, in something neutral. convert it by download. The File gets a encrypted code direct by download.

Perhaps something to think about developers??

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Pressure is allready on the Governments to "try"
to make them treat the ISPs harder than before... Isnt it?

I think you can bet your life savings pretty safely on the Government's around the world implementing LAW's that FORCE your ISP to require YOU to install this type of software to even begin to GET ACCESS to their services..
In the end the ISPs wont suffer, they know you are hooked for life

Your safe systems wont do you any good, once they're done with this.

And just think about all the new government-jobs that will be created. ;P

In the end the internet will have only one adress www.shop.com

Thats my first 2cents worth of posting on this site

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LieBuster
reply to post by discordantone

Trouble is 60% of all new laptops have a ET call home program built into the bios so even if you take a hammer to your hard drive and run sco unix you are still being watched and beleive it or not but even printers are printing a hidden bit pattern on each page so they can watch you.

Some laser printers do this. However, we do both ports and core mods to BIOSes for classified projects (we're one of the few), I've got ports to quite a few chipsets here on the source safe, and not a one has an "ET call home program" in it. And yes, they're all in source code, no bin files except for what we generate.

I'm not even sure how an OS call could call a BIOS routine outside of the ACPI stuff. There's very little in there that's in a form that a protected mode OS could use.

On startup, it's definitely not "calling home". About the only thing in there that uses the Ethernet is the net boot routine, if it's enabled. It's a real pain to do some of this stuff at the BIOS level - it's all assembler.

Yeah i know it sounds like science fiction but do a google and let me know if you think i'm wrong.

Ok, I think you're wrong. Not so much on the printer thing, but definitely on the BIOS issue.

MAC Address + IP + HTTP was never about protecting uses and was allways about tracking users and 1984 with Google/EBAY/YouTube being the bigest players trying to fight it out with MS.

How do you expect the data to find their way back to you, with no fixed address? I don't believe I've EVER seen any sort of multi-drop data network that didn't have to have some way of identifying sender and receiver in the protocol wrapper.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Seems like I've heard lately that they want to include it in AV programs. Let Norton do the snooping for them, I guess.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join