It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIAA Wants Gov. to Delete Your Illegal Downloads

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
RIAA and MPAA must be working for the NWO and their Prison Planet agenda. Any decent American citizen or company would not push this line of unconstitutional infringement on our unalienable rights.

Warrantless monitoring of internet connections and deletions of data off of people's private property is not anything even close to legal or constitutional and is a complete violation of due process of law.

Do we citizens have legal recourse against the RIAA and MPAA? We need to stop this from going any farther and send a message to the RIAA and MPAA with a nice lawsuit bitchslap upside their collective "heads" and by heads I mean asses since their heads are obviously up their asses.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

this sort of stuff will come in time. just means we have to be better at protecting our computers. other than that its in their jurisdiction to do such things.

most computer users could be considered criminals in one way or another. if the government could just delete what people shouldn't have; they wouldnt just pick one out of the barrel and ask for a $100,000+.

i'd rather us all be punished slightly over one every once inawhile getting the shaft.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Companies or non profit groups like this make many more friends and contacts in government by helping the government grow itself bigger and bigger, and they also get more funding. To go out and sell this type of thing follows the current trends we are seeing every single day on how the current and past progressive administrations are trying (and succeeding) at growing government to go get each new "bogey man" that comes along.
People in this so called anti piracy organization are "Team Players" with their government contacts.
I would say what these people all need are nice cement shoes.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This makes me LOL. I wish them the best of luck getting in. IF by some chance they do get in and open a link between them and I then may the equipment they use RIP.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Just wait until some smart person from an Asian Country hacks into the spyware and realizes there is other "spyware" on there that is secret .

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
not to burst anyone's bubble or ego here
but about 2 yrs ago I remember seeing an
article about a government sponsored
trojan being implemented that went through
any firewall on the planet. How they did this
was they gave the code to all firewall manufacturers
and had the trojan added to the safe list OR
either ordered it NOT to be considered a threat
by the software itself. I think this was part of
the source coding done under the Patriot Act.

Has anyone else heard of this??
or did I hallucinate this article??

And if it's true, then they probably already have
access to ur machine and u dont even know it.

Think about it: Why would RIAA ask big brother
to delete these files if they didn't have
access already???

Sounds plausible, definitely do-able (can be done based on IP address - if it sees specific servers, ignore it).

BT Home Hub enabled hackers to listen to VoIP calls placed via the hub before now. I think they stubled upon functionality that wasn't supposed to be known about.

No-one asked how it was possible to remotely monitor VoIP calls in the first place; forget that it could be done "without a password".

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Really!! let them try it on my PC..I will infringe their life. I will surely fight against this in any way or form no holds barred this time.

For people who have any data on their computer which they want to secure I suggest you all use this TrueCrypt. It encrypts . It is a extremely helpful open source software that rarely can get (unless you use a weak password) hacked even by most professional hackers or Government Agents.

Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux

Main Features:
* Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

* Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

* Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

* Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

* Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.

* Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:

Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.

* Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: XTS.

Further information regarding features of the software may be found in the documentation.

The instructions are very user friendly (with screenshots) and anyone can follow them.

Screw the authority!!

[edit on 19-4-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Nice find, interesting topic.

What if I had this method of tracking and enforcing copyrights but it was only in the planning stages or perhaps even just shy of release. Would I be wise to leak such a possibility? If I did, then perhpas I could get a head start assessment of how some tech savy folks might defeat such a trojan horse. And... in order to gather responses to my proposed method, I could perhaps monitor various websites where tech savy folks gather and discuss things of a conspiratorial nature. Places where folks discuss how to "stick it to the Man". I'm just sayin'.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

For people who have any data on their computer which they want to secure I suggest you all use this TrueCrypt. It encrypts . It is a extremely helpful open source software that rarely can get (when you put a weak password) hacked even by most professional hackers or Government Agents.

I agree with your sentiment. TrueCrypt is good for encrypting flash drives or hard drives of laptops. Loss or theft makes them useless. Unfortunately, as the law stands, you are required to provide police or other authorities with the pass phrase. Refusal can lead to extended imprisonment.

A couple of months back, Slashdot featured the story of an English guy who was jailed for refusing to provide the pass phrase. He was a conspiracy fan and maybe an ATS member? As far as I know he's still in there because there isn't a built-in limitation of time-served.

I used TrueCrypt a couple of years ago until it dawned on me that I had nothing worth encrypting. For a few months last year I ran a Tor relay until someone pointed out that UK Tor Relays are short-lived and have an anecdotal history of people knocking on the door at 5am to take your hardware.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fisheye
One of the best ways to avoid spyware, spamware, viruses or any other intrusion is to use a Linux boot disk. No matter what you get into it can't write back to a closed session on a disk. Any invasion will be removed once you shut down the system. Files can be stored on an external disk that does not have an operating system. There is no live operating system to infect when using a live disk. The OS is what is actually under attack.

If the virus/trojan code gets inside one of the files on the external disks during any session, it could still be executed when reopened any session after infection and start communicating with servers on the internet. And if you can access the files on the disk, so can any hacker who has gained access to your computer regardless of OS, sessions, encryption. Those measures only make it more difficult and time consuming for anyone hacking your system. Besides, a practical thing about using a bootdisk which never changes is that you cannot install updates, unless you made a new bootdisk every other month but it would be a hassle.

Luckily Linux hardly has any viruses but using it and getting the most out of it requires more time than any Windows/Mac OS so it's either spending time getting to learn linux or spending time learning how to recover from a virus/trojan etc. (maybe certain distro's excluded).

[edit on 19/4/2010 by Dragonfly79]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
I agree with your sentiment. TrueCrypt is good for encrypting flash drives or hard drives of laptops. Loss or theft makes them useless. Unfortunately, as the law stands, you are required to provide police or other authorities with the pass phrase. Refusal can lead to extended imprisonment.

Now thats a nice point...with new version of TrueCrypt you can hide and encrypt files within the original encrypted folder. That means even if someone forces you to open the Orginal folder your 2nd folder will be hidden and encrypted as well. Read about it here www.truecrypt.org... on left hand side under "Plausible Deniability click on Hidden Volume".

Originally posted by tyranny22
So, I guess I'll have to start immediately backing-up all my illegal downloads to an offline HD so they won't get deleted?
No Problem!
Thank goodness technology is so cheap and these morons are so stupid.
[edit on 19-4-2010 by tyranny22]

Just use the truecrypt software I mentioned above. It's 99.99% hack proof unless you have a weak password which hackers can open thru brute forcing.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I just want to say this I have never ever downloaded illegal music, games or any sort of file sharing EVER. The only reason I am against this and feel so strongly is because of censorship..when someone tries to censor something it really infuriates me and I will do anything to break that censorship.

When someone tries to force their views or try to limit free views through restriction/ censorship I will go against them as I have been from long time. If one dont like something dont see it but dont complain because in this wide world someone else may like it. If you are offended dont visit there again but dont try to tell others what one can do and not for I will not submit to your wishes and rules/ regulations.

The more you censor the more hard I(we) will fight..for none of us is as cruel as all of us.

Never Forget. Never Forgive.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
the RIAA have no idea how important music is to the people. this is going to bite them in the ass at some point. you can't just do all this outrageous legal stuff to regulate internet use and not expect some repercussions.

if they were smart at all, they would work with this ever prevalent downloading. no matter what they do, people will still find a way, why not cut the BS?

oh well.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
What if i make a limited account that cannot delete anything on the pc without the admin password.
And then i make a random admin pass with the max limit allowed and bingo.
Let them spend entire days cracking the pass

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xSeraphim

and the password has to be like "theriaacansuckitlololol9999"

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

Good point Dragonfly, however there isn't a registry to infect or a system32 folder to reside in so it makes it more difficult to invade. The name of the game is to make yourself a more difficult target. The players go after easy game.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Well, it is just that much less money I can spend on actual sound equipment...

In fact, I feel that this would only hurt Artists across the board, it would also hurt Apple and other media device selling companies.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Keyword: ILLEGAL downloads. Like it or not, the government has it's say in the situation if it's a legal issue.

But I'm also against downloading music being illegal, so yeah, f this.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Good luck with that, RIAA, feds.

I run linux.
www.archlinux.org...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
not to burst anyone's bubble or ego here
but about 2 yrs ago I remember seeing an
article about a government sponsored
trojan being implemented that went through
any firewall on the planet. How they did this
was they gave the code to all firewall manufacturers
and had the trojan added to the safe list OR
either ordered it NOT to be considered a threat
by the software itself. I think this was part of
the source coding done under the Patriot Act.

Has anyone else heard of this??
or did I hallucinate this article??

And if it's true, then they probably already have
access to ur machine and u dont even know it.

Think about it: Why would RIAA ask big brother
to delete these files if they didn't have
access already???

This is a good point, so I will provide some additional information to help people understand the difference between a firewall, and some crap software filter they think is a firewall.

A real firewall provides a physical separation from the external network and the internal network. In the old days, we would do this by using 2 network cards and a dedicated machine of the 2 cards one is bound internally, one bound externally and use Network address translation to bridge the 2 actual interfaces. The system would generally be running Linux, or UNIX. This is far more a real firewall as there is no way to exploit this setup. If the external interface becomes corrupt, you are disconnected. If anything effects the flow of information, you are disconnected. Software still manages the connections, but the physical separation ensures that a successful dos on the software will simply disconnect you.

Today's software filters are wheat are being loosely referred to as firewall. Traffic is inspected as it enters the system and is denied based on the rules provided. This is very easy to exploit as you only have to make the software filter believe that one packet is equal to another for the exploit to work. Or access the software vendor and have allowances built in for your software. If the software filter were to fail, then one normally has complete access to the system while the owner believes they are protected.

Of the 2 examples the first is far superior, although more technical. However, in all cases if software is installed on your system through a live update and allowed to connect out to take direction from a 3rd party, no firewall will protect your system. So as a rule one should only allow software to be installed if they are aware what that software is going to do to their system...this include Microslop "live update".

..Ex

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join