It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIAA Wants Gov. to Delete Your Illegal Downloads

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here's a nice piece of free software (Windows) that blocks several unwanted parties ->

www.peerblock.com...

The blocklists get updated at least weekly. Light, effective, free. Highly recommended.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I just wanted to say that one of my favorite sites, isoHunt has been blocked from people in the US. Of course you can get to it by using a proxie, I find it ironic that I use the Proxy set up for China.

They can have my uTorrent when they pry my cold dead hands from it.

Alright, I have been meaning to switch over to another system, but damn it, I have my XP SP2 wired for speed. I know every in and out. Vista, Windows 7, bah, could care less about the newer bells and whistles on the Windows machines.

Frelling hate to have to learn a new damn system because of these asshats.

Still wondering how they are going to get around my port monitoring software or my Everest Ultimate Edition monitoring software.

I have been using this same OS locked at SP2 for awhile now. No updates and only firewalls that I have been using with no ill effects. Love the images I have created of the original installation. Yes, every once and awhile I pick up a nasty, but it only takes 5 minutes to wipe my system and reinstall the image backup.

I have always wondered if they ever mean to enforce the statutes they have enacted about making your computer anti government safe. Or if they can actually try and enforce some of the other draconian statutes on wiping systems in case they want to seize your computer and you have a system installed that wipes the computer if anyone tries to backdoor through the bios. Of course if anyone was dumb enough to try and boot up the HDD in the original machine as a forensic examination of a computer would be pretty stupid.

I think all of these things they are doing though are for the average users not people cognizant of old school computer security.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This will never work and never happen.

For a start, I have an offline computer which I store all my 31337 stuff. Its fully encrypted and did I mention it doesn't even have a network card?

Well, Net Neutrality has been targeted for decades; I say let the info war commence. I am protected by a penguin with a bazooka

I think I could have a bit of fun with these morons, set up a few honeypots and go onto theCIAbay, oops... I mean thepiratebay and download a few illegals and see how their little packet sniffing malware app sees the data and reverse engineer it on OllyDBG.

Hack the planet!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
Here's a nice piece of free software (Windows) that blocks several unwanted parties ->

www.peerblock.com...

The blocklists get updated at least weekly. Light, effective, free. Highly recommended.

If you look into it, these apps are mostly pointless...Peer Guardian as well. They lend a false sense of security.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Im pretty sure the goverment can get through these "Blocking programs" anyway

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

www.peerblock.com...

If you look into it, these apps are mostly pointless...Peer Guardian as well. They lend a false sense of security.

It's the new version of peerguardian. It does not make p2p (i.e.) completely safe, but blocks most of RIAA servers, a lot of government stuff. It's a good addition if you don't want to be scanned that easily.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It's all about the external hard drive. I have like three separate drives I keep my files on, instead of my computer's hard drive.
Anyways, I'd like to see them try to pull this off.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The insanity never ends, does it?. I think such spyware would quickly be identified and someone would release a program to get rid of it and protect your computer from it but that's not the point. My browsing habits and the content of my hard drive is nobody's business but my own. I'm not going to say anything more because I'm starting to get angry thinking about these arrogant bastards thinking they have the right to invade my privacy.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Raverous]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

not to mention, we will figure out a way to beat the system, we always have.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Eh, these are just scare tactics to scare people into not downloading.
In fact, their stupid schemes to protect their 'cut' is in many ways backfiring...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c7b5463c7ee6.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
14 amendment right violation.

Its unbelievable that we let this kind of stuff happen.

We do what probably one man says, as he is sitting in his chambers, the human race is pathetic.

We will always be controlled, until all of these blogs are presented in a physical form to the government,

Of course they know we wont do anything about it, and that is their weakness.

For...the blood in us is boiling...and the top is ready to blow, we are pissed.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by people=oooo
Its unbelievable that we let this kind of stuff happen.

We did it the first time ARPAnet was launched, the Internet was never made to be safe. It just doesn't have full capability to be completely secured. The only way to have a secure computer, is to take the NIC out, rip off all USB ports and COMM ports, throw away DVD/CD etc and solder the circuit boards to seal them. Well, you know what I mean...throw away the keyboard and mouse. Seriously though, the Internet was never intended to be safe. There is actually a documentary out there where oldskool hackers nearly 60 years of age, laughing about the fact that the created "e-banking" (Online Banking). Its pathetic.

Surf the net in a fully armored surfboard with all sorts of countermeasures and securities in place.

I bet people think they are safe when they are installing a counterfeit version of Windows XP or whatever. You think its great getting a FREE OS right? LOL! Every single copy out there, hidden scripts.

I Piss on your AV

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You know i have ripped nearly all of my cd's onto my hard drive, why? Firstly to back them up (some are very old) and secondly because i don't want to have to keep changing cd's. I like listening to 10 different tracks from 10 different artists without having to write a new cd on a daily basis. Also i purchased every series of red dwarf on dvd, but again i like to watch them on my pc without having to keep switching dvd's so i ripped them onto my drive.

So if this software decides to take a wander around my computer it will find and delete those files, including some which i no longer have the cd's for (they just ended up skipping due to scratches). So they wipe my drive, costing me money, also what are the odds that their stupid program will end up damaging my system? Simply deleting the files won't be enough because i can just recover them so surely they would have to scrub the drive, overwriting the data and that can cause damage or at least wear on the drive. Am i going to be compensated for this wear and tear?

Of course none of this matters as the partition i keep those files on is encrypted and so any software they have won't recognise a thing, and if they find encrypted data suspicious well I hope the government have fun trying to crack that, it uses two encryption systems, one over the other, both 128 bit and the key isn't stored on the computer. Enjoy

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

Britan has just passed a law similar to this in nature. Google alwready reports everywhere we go to the government which is why i switched to bing but even they may report.

Time to go back to land line phones where they actually need a warrant to listen to you unlike cellulars and face to face meetings. EWE how dull!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Let's see how well this BS works on Linux.

Looks like if people want free stuff, they'll have to learn to use computers a little bit better.

This will never affect me as I'm far to advanced to let some measly spyware infiltrate my PC. =P

You might have hit the nail right on the head considering why RIAA has not tighten every other possible avenue towards p2p download restrictions. The shortest avenue would be the makers of the operating systems most people use.
Though if people smelled something really fishy with Windows they would be adopting Linux in droves. Linux are harder to be spied upon so that would make more damage to the PTB in the long run.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

www.peerblock.com...

Nice app, thank you for that!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

www.peerblock.com...

Security is about layers and layers of protection, and this is a really good layer!
Just have to remember the rest of them as well, like firewalls and router setup, ect.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

Along lines of the "free OS" point...

It'd cost them more money to stop the distribution of pirated OS's.

To pin them with hard proof, well lets see.

You'd need to verify their motherboard's ID with the pirated OS, see them connect to the internet, blah blah blah.

Not to mention there's probably millions with pirated OS.

Anyone who is half way smart has a hammer next to their computer in case of FBI nocking at the door. Only full proof method.

"Why are you beating your computer with a hammer?"

"Bad day."

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glencairn
I have music on my computer that I never bothered to take off from CD's that I have bought and copied onto my computer to burn a spare disc of.

Traditionally, and especially concerning copyrighted music, the buyers of the music ARE PERMITTED to make back-up copies for their personal use. In the past, there was no way to monitor and enforce who copied what at home, so the FCC made that concession.

The crime, presumably, is in distributing copied music for personal profit.

Even back in the 60s and 70s, I remember, there was traffic in "bootleg" music. Usually, these were bootleg reel-to-reel tapes and cassettes and 8-tracks, but some bootleggers even went as far as pressing bootleg vinyl in stereo, which is an extraordinarily difficult process — I mean, you've gotta have access to a commercial studio to create bootleg vinyl albums, right, you can't just do it out of your bedroom. Those bootleg operations were fairly easy to track down, and the bootleggers had to stay on the move constantly.

Today, as you know, the average desktop computer has the music reproduction capability of a full-blown music studio. With the right peripherals and software, you can mass-produce high-quality bootleg music on CD or in torrent packages and distribute thousands of copies of it around the world in a matter of hours.

The real problem with bootleg music today is NOT downloading it, it's uploading it and making it available to millions of downloaders — I mean, face it, there is no way in hell to track down and prosecute all the downloaders. Such prosecution would break the budgets of all the law-enforcement agencies on earth. It's impossible.

The more logical and budget-conscious approach is to go after the uploaders, of which there are only a small fraction compared to the downloaders. Of course, with bit-torrent operations, practically every participant is both a downloader and and an uploader, simultaneously, and there's no single law-breaker because there's no single piece of property being stolen, just bits and pieces from many, many different sources.

Which is why the gubbmint wants to implant spyware on your computer to destroy the completed copies of copyrighted material, whether it's music or movies or games or whatever.

The easiest way to defeat such spyware, of course, is to remove your downloaded material to a separate storage device that is not connected to the World Wide Web. That's one way.

The sure way to defeat robots that search for copyrighted music is to download your music and then re-record it to a new file, using audio-editing software. It then becomes just a generic audio file with no copyright tags.

One more way to capture music without copyright tags is to run an audio-hijacking application on your computer system — one that records any sound that can be played on your computer into a new audio file. This is especially useful when browsing the many "listen-only" music websites. You just hijack the audio channel, play the song, and bingo you have a generic audio recording.

The only way the gubbmint is ever going to stop illegal music reproduction is to make music itself illegal. And that aint gonna happen.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I think you all mist some thing. they are using this to get in to Every ones computer. not just the file shares. big brother.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join