It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The PS3 conspiracy in El Paso.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Hello everyone. Today has been one of the strangest days that I have ever had. It appears that all the PS3's have been sold out and are no where to be found. There are plenty of Xbox 360's but no PS3's and I have searched almost all electronic stores including the PX and so forth. My last stop today was the mall and after going to game stop for yet again no PS3's at all I was about to leave the mall until some lady yells she has PS3 and big screens for sale but she has some connection to the military. At first I tried to deny this lady access to my credit information to see if I was approved for the sale but my friends kept egging me on to go see her so I did and when I talked to her she told me that she would sell me a PS3 for a payment of 30 dollars a month for 12 months with 1 % interest which include a bundle of games, controllers and other misc $**t.

Well I tried to play dumb and told her that I don't know what the the number of my building was cause I had just gotten back from Iraq but she kept on insisting that this was my only chance to own a PS3, but how did she know that all the other locations had no PS3 if I had not told her this? It seems like something is going on with trying to take soldiers cash flow from the minute we land here and all other locations know that we are back long before we arrive and are jacking up prices despite El paso being one of the cheapest places in the whole damn country! Im not trying to get robbed of my hard earned dollars but it seems like something is going on around here besides gang movements from juarez. Where are all the PS3's at?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Some lady?

You mean in a store or like in the parking lot out of a truck?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

It was in a hallway in the mall and it was not inside a store but kind of like a booth. Had some weird vibes about the place.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Man, that is pretty weird. Who the hell just deals in a hallway with Big Screen TV's and PS3?

You better watch yo' back

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Why not just buy an Xbox, then?

What's it matter which machine you buy - it's all video games, right?

On the topic of economics though, it would not surprise me that business owners/retailers had planned ahead for returning soldiers. Logically, it would seem that they would anticipate higher demand and stock up - perhaps the demand was simply higher then the supply and they just ran out? Just a thought.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Seems weird that you couldn't find a PS3 anywhere, and that lady seemed to know that was the case. Perhaps you should try eBay next time...

[edit on 15/4/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Just try and find a Wii!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Why not just buy an Xbox, than?

On the topic of economics though, it would not surprise me that business owners/retailers had planned ahead for returning soldiers. Logically, it would seem that they would anticipate higher demand and stock up - perhaps the demand was simply higher then the supply and they just ran out? Just a thought.

If this lady has PS3's to spare and none of the other stores have any left then how does she do it to have a good amount of PS3's and other stores don't. I smell a rip off and thats all that has been going on eversince our return from car prices to renting an apartment. Also XBOX has more defects then PS3 and I already own some games for PS3 so it would kind of make a difference.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Ah, ok - I see. Well, it wouldn't be the first time that someone bought up a supply of something in demand, with the intent to sell at a much higher price, though it is strange that it happened in a Mall hallway for sure...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
If this lady has PS3's to spare and none of the other stores have any left then how does she do it to have a good amount of PS3's and other stores don't. I smell a rip off and thats all that has been going on eversince our return from car prices to renting an apartment.

Maybe it's because she is charging more for them than if you just went out and got them somewhere else.

I agree with the above poster who mentioned ebay.

You can also try Amazon, beezid, overstock, etc.

There are plenty of PS3's in the world, you just happened to look where there was a shortage.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

She even had a PS3 on display already connected to the internet/42 inch screen for multiplay. This is the first time that I have ever seen this and it disturbs me! Now I have to call her the next day and tell her that im not interested in the PS3 sale but I didn't want to be rude to her in the first place but sometimes they can talk a dog off a meat truck with their sales tactics.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I have no mailroom until the rest of my unit arrives from Iraq so until then it would be useless to try to mail crap here in the desert of biggs field. Although maybe if I go home for a short vacation maybe I can find one.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Lol - man, you just got back from Iraq - you can handle some pushy sales woman.

Just say NO and keep on walkin'

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I guess your right LS. It just seemed kind of wierd how out of nowhere I am dragged to some sale that I am interested in but is not available in a good price. I guess I have gotten soft eversince I have returned but ill be damned if I let those sales people get to me. No more personal info will she ever get from me.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Why not just buy an Xbox, then?

The PS3 is far more than simply a gaming console. The media capabilities include a blue ray player, dvd's are up converted to as close to 1080P as possible if your TV supports it. The color and depth of the videos are truly amazing with the HDMI cable. In addition there is a built in divx decoder so you can play video's downloaded from the net in a variety of formats including mp4, avi etc. With remote play you can use a PSP to stream any video content from the PS3's internal hard drive to the PSP or you can use a USB stick to play mp3's, video or photograph sideshows right from the PS3.
There is built in web browser support and it plays games.

In my case, I have only one game, but use mine primarily for the media capabilities. Please visit PS3 media server for additional information on streaming content from your PC to the PS3.

..Ex

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Whatever you do, don't go for this lady's sales pitch. I fell for the same load of **** back at Huachuca at the mall there where they were selling laptops aimed directly at soldiers. Now I'm paying $175 a month for like the next 18 months or so to pay off a laptop that I could have gotten for cheaper. I mean it is a nice laptop, but the amount of money I'm paying could have gone somewhere else.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

They tried to do that in Kuwait and Iraq in AFFES and I swear there is never support if you do buy one and it breaks due to dust, bangs ect. Everyway they can find to steal a pretty penny off of you they do it like some type of religion.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Well, I can confirm that PS3's are definately in short supply. I work for a major retailer, and every retailer within 100 miles is out of PS3s. This isn't new though, we've been having a hard time getting them in since Christmas. When we get them, we only tend to get a few.

I found out recently that PS3s are actually assembled in Mexico (weird), so maybe it has something to do with the drug cartels?

eidt: woops meant to be a response to Stop-loss

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

This PS3 incident seems to get bigger and bigger by the minute. If only I could go back to the west coast and get my own PS3 but they are probably also in shortage as well. If its drugs the cartels are smuggling in PS3 then why not something less expensiveto go through the border of El paso?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Any military town has stores and booths to bilk your hard earned deployment money. Oceanside and Carlsbad, CA is ripe with the rip off artists.

I had a pretty good command and they distibuted a list of reputable/non-reputable dealers for various items.

BX/PX is usually the best place for anything IMO. It's on base (normally) and no sales tax. I still go to the West Point PX for any high ticket items, provided they have it.

I had to laugh at the laptop from AAFES...because I bought one at Al Asad during my first deployment when my Dell crapped out. It was a $1200 Toshiba and was great until the day I left Iraq...I swear it was "Hadji-fied" and just never worked right back here in the states. So I bought an Asus from Newegg and is by far the best computer I have ever owned.

Good luck in the PS3 search. Get Battlefield 2: Bad Company. Great on-line play, especially if you are a decent sniper.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join