It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The PS3 conspiracy in El Paso.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
kotaku.com...

Final Fantasy XIII is selling super fast, which might explain the shortage.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by PatriotBlack

That's also avaliable on the xBox 360, and this shortage was going on well before FF13 was released.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Sorry if someone already said this, but can't you just order one online somewhere?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I had explain the situation on that, well for me anyway but mailing is just not an option for me right now.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

craigslist

pawnshop?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Acid_Burn2009

One of our terps were pretty good with computer repairs so I would't doubt if those px laptops were made by them as well. The sticker price is never the real deal because everything seems to be made by the lowest bidder.
hadjified now thats a good one.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

the ps3 is amazing. how about calling a friend, wire money and have them send it?

you need demon souls, Valkyria chronicles, mgs4, and uncharted 2. nothing compares to these games when it comes to unique high production value games.

concerning the shady sale, keep looking into it, i'd probably try and find someone who buys one and get his/her email

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Most of the pawnshops in El paso sell stolen goods for half the price. I don't want to be accused of theivery especially if I did not commit the crime but it has happened before where soldiers get robbed blind when they are in the field training by other soldiers who don't go. We have at least a few ex-soldiers that somehow know the system and try to get on post to loot some more but ever since last year things have been different..

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I don't find it strange that the PS3 is sometimes hard to find. The 60 Gb version which plays PS1 and PS2 titles as well was sold only for a short time while the 40 Gb was still being sold.

And there is a huge difference between the Xbox and PS3. The PS3 is being used very much by scientists.
www.pwnordie.com...
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
reply to post by Wookiep

This PS3 incident seems to get bigger and bigger by the minute. If only I could go back to the west coast and get my own PS3 but they are probably also in shortage as well. If its drugs the cartels are smuggling in PS3 then why not something less expensiveto go through the border of El paso?

Im in Oregon, and I had a hell of a time finding a PS3 a month or so ago. Seemed like every store I went to had some employee telling me "good luck, you'll never find one." I drove around to a bunch of stores, then resigned myself to calling to save fuel. I finally found one at a Target like an hour from my house, and had them hold it for me(1 hour time limit, barely made it there in time). I get there, and there were three guys waiting for me to get there that were hoping I wouldnt show up, and the employee had turned away two others as well. CRAZYNESS.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Whatever you do, don't go to RentaCenter, I got an xbox360 that should of ran $200, .... and ended up owing over $800.

I had a bad habit of being late, so even if your ONE day late they come to your house and try to intimidate you like a bunch of amateur loan sharks. They say stuff like .....

" We need a payment right now"
" Thats not going to work for us"
" you have to do something about this right now".
" We need the xbox back now".

and they would just stand outside, untill I came up with a payment, no matter how small.

They would try to reposess it if you were two days late !!!. so after awhile I realized there was nothing they could really do to me accept take me to court. so every time they came over I told em off, and when they said they needed the xbox back I told them to try and go inside and get it.

They got the hint afterawhile, I still owe them $200 but the truth is, I would have paid them off a long time ago if they didn't act like D-Bags. ... and I told them that.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I heard that Sony announced that due to sales far exceeding their expectations last December, that February through April would see shortages of the PS3. I guess that Modern Warfare 2 had something to do with the December surge, and recently a combination of new titles releases and 3D hype during Academy Awards, people have been surging ahead with PS3's.

They are the best all around device and a must have for your media center. They do everything and do it well.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

Didn't you ask those sales persons WHY they are so hard to obtain?
Here in the Netherlands there seems to be no shortage of them.
Maybe sold out because RED DEAD REDEMPTION is coming out soon?
Can't wait for that game!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

About as much as it matters which book you buy. It's all words, right? Meanwhile, no one worry about "missing" ps3s. Those things aren't easy to make and find parts for. Demand was way down because they had almost nothing popular for games,and now they finally have some popular stuff. Give it a few weeks. Also, the OP should just order hjis stuff online like everyone else. Never buy retail for something like this, you have to pay for the clerks and advertising too.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009

I had to laugh at the laptop from AAFES...because I bought one at Al Asad during my first deployment when my Dell crapped out. It was a $1200 Toshiba and was great until the day I left Iraq...I swear it was "Hadji-fied" and just never worked right back here in the states. So I bought an Asus from Newegg and is by far the best computer I have ever owned...

Ha, I did the same thing. I bought a Acer(I think it was an Acer) back in 2005 from the PX at Camp Fallujah. It lasted the entire 7 month deployment...untill I got back stateside. I used mine everyday though, as I worked in a Headquarters company. I was kinda surprised it lasted that long w/ the dust and all.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
PS3's are pretty much out of stock everywhere. My husband and I were looking for one for about a month and as soon as they got some in they were gone in minutes. I think it must be a production issue - maybe they're trying to keep supply down to keep demand high. If we really wanted to pay that much, we found them on ebay for $550 ($200 more than retail) but we decided to just wait. We finally hit jackpot at GameStop at our local mall one Saturday afternoon. I don't think it's a conspiracy of any sort. As for the lady selling them - they're probably hot. Very suspect. I'd report her.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MotherofBlessings

Sounds to me like the Sony corporation is taking advantage of the limited availability of PS3 to make prices sky rocket like before. Xbox is no longer in the lead due to its long history of "red ring of death" and other faulty errors found in the console. Now it seems only those in possesion of some PS3 can charge you an arm and a leg to obtain one.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Well it could be a scam. This is an old trick, she has one hooked up on display and it works. When you buy one (for 30 dollars or whatever money she wants down) she switches it for a brick in a box or a PS3 shell.
Or she could be running a legit operation. It could be a low end model that has been refurbished. Or they could be stolen.
Personally im a 360 guy. Playstation has been losing their exclusive titles slowly, even metal gear solid will be comming to 360. I can see the appeal for military men because you can have all those features in one little box that you can move easily. For me i have a computer with a blue ray player and one on my TV. So having a machine that does everything almost as good as the things i have is not worth my money.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!

I had explain the situation on that, well for me anyway but mailing is just not an option for me right now.

All bases have a general post office with a general address that ANYONE on base can use. Reason being for TDYs, Deployments and PCSing in and out of bases. That is fact. Ive lived on enough bases and PCSed in and out of them - I know this.

[edit on April 16th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I guess if I could get a ride to the one on ft bliss instead of biggs field then I do see it as a possibility, but would I be notified if I recieve mail or would I have to check in everyday or so?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join