It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Europe hit by volcanic ash

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
THe skys over europe must be busy as a few people have said how quiet it is since flights have been cancelled .thats hard to imagine for me in oz its always quiet here.good idea cancelling flights ,some readers may remember when Mt Galunggung erupted in Indonesia in 1982 a British Airways 747 flew into ash en route form Kuala Lumpar to Perth and had 4 engines fail .The plane glided without power down to 12000 ft before they could relight the engines.on landing extensive damage to turbines,windscreen wings etc.Best to avoid the ash its pretty abrasive.I hope it doesnt block the sun to much ,that could be bad for food crops and my batteries!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

its funnY OR ACTUALLY NOT AT ALL cuz i live in holland were the cloud is wright above us now.. the news said no worries no risk but i know its not true they shoul be advisin people 2 stay indoor etc if u as me this is fine dust someting so small u cant see it and from what i heard from people who deal wih fine dust while cuting stones is that a couple ours of exposure is VERY bad 4 your longs im holding a wet towel2 my face aS WE SPEAK CUZ I feel DUST PARTICLES STRANG STUFF IN THE AIR AND STAR 2 COUGH and i like 2 add that smokers u can also add 2 this group of people at risk and the news here is just totally ignoring it just wou first they invent a virus make millions of the antedote[poisen] then suddenl it dissapears 40 people dead in holand wou wat a pandemic cuz u had 2 have an other diseas 2 so thats like thirty people and i bet the ALL died from this other disease and now ther sying just go outside ruin your lungs wtf is going on where did u get this news from and wher do u live

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Two nice videos, one of the sunset last evening and one of sunrise this morning.
The ash might start falling this weekend, what would bring some nasty pollution in the air. After a beautiful sunny week we now have a remarkably colder, grey cloudy day..

Approximately 60% of all European air traffic is cancelled for at least the next 24 hours. In the north of Sweden and Norway planes are flying again.
In Belgium there's a temporary exception for army helicopters, they're allowed to fly at low altitude for now.

[edit on 16/4/10 by Movhisattva]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
RAF Helicopter transfer patient from Dumferline to London

Just a story i've stumbled across on the BBC website of how this ash cloud is affecting not just travellers, but having an impact on healthcare too.

Listening to BBC news just then, it's an area of high pressure that's pushing the dustcloud southeast. It's not the ash that we can see, it's the invisible corrosive type that's causing air traffic to be grounded.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Hey, Belgium here, and have to say, no one is panicking here. I don't know why, cause this morning, my laundry stayed whole night out, and i can clearly see dust particles.

The sky is all mixed up, parts are blue, parts are gray to black and air traffic is non existent.

Greetz,
Griff

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Aelfrede

This Iceland's revenge for economic destruction orchestrated from London - don't mess with them - they will shut down the whole Europe, if Rothschild and his family will not leave them alone.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
THe skys over europe must be busy as a few people have said how quiet it is since flights have been cancelled.

To give you an idea: some 11.000 planes will take off today in Europe, that's 17.000 flights less than on a normal friday.

@ Grifter.be: there's indeed no panicking for now, but we do get warned: National Healthcare Agency and a related article. But it's true that different sources and different moments of the day give contradictory information.

[edit on 16/4/10 by Movhisattva]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Just an interesting tidbit, just went downstairs to get some breakfast (i'm not lazy, i'm just working late shifts
) and noticed there is a very slight sulphuric smell floating around.. i only noticed it for a few seconds, then couldn't smell it again. But it keeps coming in and out. will be interesting to see how this day pans out.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Movhisattva

With 17000 less flights you might even get clear weather even with the ash cloud .Thats a hell of a lot of burnt jet fuel in the sky .

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
i live in the uk and i dont smell or see a thing stop talking bubbles people

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Envisat satellite picture of the ash cloud taken on April 15

www.esa.int...

Click on that picture to get the Hi-Res version

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
This can only be a good thing! With all these planes not flying it should reduce the air pollution over this country!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

sorry, didn't realise you were the one who validates what everyone else can see/smell

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
sorry, double post

[edit on 16/4/10 by Longy4eva]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Longy4eva

Probably not but this has more of a psychological factor if anything. When you ask someone NOT to think of a red juicy apple he will concentrate only on it and promise you he can even smell one.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Longy4eva

trust me if you smelt sulphur you would know about it

anyways i would be worried when you don't smell it and it kills you

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I've just been outside but I couldn't smell anything, yet I distinctly heard the noise of an aircraft.

However I couldn't see anything. It's blue sky but with some cloud.

[edit on 16/4/10 by Kram09]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz
This can only be a good thing! With all these planes not flying it should reduce the air pollution over this country!

It could be, except for the fact that burned jet fuel is now replaced by a volcanic ashcloud (sulphur dioxide, particles of rock and glass, higher concentration of carbon dioxide). I'm honestly not sure which one to prefer. I guess it depends on how the cloud will behave, where it starts falling and how long and intense the volcano keeps spewing.
But yes: no planes is a good thing.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
SkyNews said in Europe they are warning people to stay indoors if ash does start to fall, some has settled already in Scotland. Should we get some masks with filters in them or just standard DIY masks?
First we get snowstorms for 3 months and now we get this.

The only way England will win the Ashes series litrally.

Ash Wednesday maybe?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The ceasation of air travel in the UK has been unprecedented. There hasnt been a stoppage this serious. Even during the 9/11 paranoia there were more flights moving than there are now. Its insane.
Furthermore, in Scotland they are/have experienced ash fall ( a light dusting) . Saw some folks on the news last night who were angry at the air companies for closing the airports. They didnt understand that volcanic ash with silica particles is dangerous beyond insurable levels, and flying through such weather could concievably result in death.
Further more, folks were complaining that they couldnt understand why, when the cloud responsible was in the north, they couldnt fly to thier destinations if the airport wasnt covered by ash cloud. Again, idiocy . These people do not understand the merest slice of the trouble that this cloud could cause a commercial jet plane. It disturbs me that there are people who either are so ignorant that they cannot understand basic mechanics , or know what the danger is and think thier day going according to plan, is more important than them, and those they fly with living for a while longer.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join