It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Europe hit by volcanic ash

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
FFS.. my flights are cancelled this weekend and so are my sisters..

Stupid Iceland and its stupid volcano's..

Stupid planes.. they can chew through birds no problem but a little ash is dangerous..

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Health officials are saying the ash may only pose a risk to those with lung conditions or health conditions like asthma.

I can only assume that those people who don't have lung conditons must have lungs which are magically immune to tiny particles of rock and glass .

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hi ThraexX,

LOL yes I realised it works now. Just puzzled why it has than fuzzy appearance, but my other thread didn't have that.

So are you saying the contrails are all gone in the sky over where you are? It's actually quite a magic moment isn't it? I think I might go outside (beautiful evening here) and have a glass of wine and toast the peaceful, beautiful sky. Once in a life time moment ;-)

So, wow, you're seeing a thin layer of ash smog?!

Take care and keep us updated,

Aelf

Originally posted by ThraexX
No worries mate, S&F it!

Weirdest thing, haven't seen a blue sky for years it seems. Contrails are visible here all the time. i can see a thin layer of ash smog here since two hours or so.
bizar situation.

ps. haven't been here long enough to understand that this is a USA dominated site the way you stated. thought ATS was quite international.

cheers,

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well here is a Traffic Sign, just south of Aberdeen today. My parents told me they could smell 'rotten eggs' today and heard on the news that the smell was the volcano.

This isnt a sign often seen in the UK

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aelfrede

I really think this is a hoax, how are planes able to fly across and land/depart in the desert? There is no dust? And what about Southern Italy? They have many active Vulcan's, there are no restrictions either.
They are also saying that the dust isn't a danger to our health...
Back in 1821/23 the cattle died of fluoride contamination.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Regenstorm]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aelfrede

lol i'm allready sitting im ma backyard with a glass of fine red wine checking the skies. maybe see anything flyining that shouldn't be there

lovely evening.

Update: eruption seems to intensify, check!

Source

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
That's very true with air travel suspended there's probably tons of people stranded, that alone has to make things hectic. My thoughts are definitely with y'all I'm around 40 miles from Mt Rainier so Volcanoes and ash clouds definitely peaks my interest.

Originally posted by Aelfrede
Hi Silverado292,

thanks for your response. I like your attitude :-) Great to have you participating in this thread. And I agree, it certainly is news, no matter where it is. Especially considering the impact, all this air space closing, never known anything like it.

Cheers,

Aelf

Originally posted by Silverado292
I'm American and I'm reading this thread. I'm sure many others are also reading, I mean volcanic ash clouds over population zones is news no matter what country it is.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

no hoax mate, sattelite img's don't lie
and ma eyes don't eighter.
Italy does have active volcanos and i'm sure that with an ash cloud over land there in case of eruption will close down any traffic to.

cheers,

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ThraexX

That's the trouble, there is nothing to see, just regular clouds:
www.sat24.nl...
I took this picture 2hours ago from the eastern part of the Netherlands:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

i'm live the east (FC Twente
), to dark to take pitures now
, doesn't matter. maybe i was mistaking the clouds for ash. like i said, about two hours ago a steady thin layer of gray fog was getting vissible. And no airplanes at all. Realy enjoying that for once.

BTW, check this Source

Laterrr mate,

[edit on 15-4-2010 by ThraexX]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
... they could smell 'rotten eggs' today and heard on the news that the smell was the volcano.

Yeah I just heard on the BBC news of reports confirming people in the north of Scotland & also in northern Scandinavia can smell sulphur in the air... nice...

(cool pictures by the way!)

I'm watching BBC News 24 now & the whole volcano thing is pretty much constantly on as the top story.

They seem to be focusing mostly on the 'All flights cancelled' aspect & the concern about how long it could all go on for; at the moment all flights are cancelled until those in charge (NATS) review the situation at 1pm 16/04/2010. However, if the volcano continues to spew out ash & the wind directions keep up, this could have the potential to go on for much longer, maybe, maybe not, we'll just have to wait & see if we get a lucky break or not.

It's not uncommon for erruptions to continue for weeks or months.
Also reports are saying that for all the cancelled flights, passengers won't be getting any money back on the insurance because it's an act of God - so tough titties... nice...

Chatanooga Times Free Press (whoever they are)

All non-emergency flights in Britain were canceled until at least midday Friday, and authorities in Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Belgium also closed their air space. France shut down 24 airports, including the main hub of Charles de Gaulle in Paris, and several flights out of the U.S. had to double back. At London's Heathrow airport, normally one of the world's busiest with more than 1,200 flights and 180,000 travelers a day, passengers stared forlornly at departure boards on which every flight was listed as canceled.

Telegraph.co.uk - travel news

[edit on 15/4/2010 by moobaawoof]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
How is volcano ash a hoax?
I learned from news that tonight's flights in Riga, Latvia (RIX) airport are canceled and they say that there could be more cancellations tomorrow.
Also the air smelled kind of funny when I was outside, like smoke but I cannot be sure if it's indeed volcanic ash or just smoke as I'm no expert and as Latvian people loves to burn last years grass in spring.

*UPDATE*
Haha - I learned that ash will get to Latvia only in 3 at night - it's four years from now on. So what I smelled was just smoke from Latvians burning last years grass. I am excited to see sky tomorrow and smell "volcanic" air.

[edit on 15/4/2010 by archasama]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Great Photo of the sign ....

well done .....

snoopyuk

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Just to see if anyone else has the same idea, I'm in Liverpool, UK. not sure how far along the cloud is, but we're on the west coast of mainland uk. The weather for the past week or so has been really good, very little cloud cover, broken cloudy nights, but tonight there seems to be a great deal of cloud emanating from Northwest. don't know if that's why or not, but it'd be interesting to find out?

Oh, not sure if anyone else mentioned it but all flights in/out of uk are grounded today, some think it could be all tomorrow too

EDIT

volcanic ash is a very abrasive substance, in large quantities it can cause engine failure, don't know if any of you have seen the videos yet, but it's a pretty damn thick cloud. Not a small volcano!
Planes MAY be able to fly through it, but would you want to take that chance?

[edit on 15/4/10 by Longy4eva]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by archasama

I too wonder what part of a volcano throwing ash into the air is a hoax. LOL

Unless the volcano is involved in a conspiracy with HAARP and the giant at the top of the beanstalk, and they have full worldwide media control and practice mass hynosis--I'd lean towards the belief this is real.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I live in Gdansk. The airspace was closed in all northern Poland to all flights but I didn't saw any clouds on the sky today. In fact it was one of the most sunny days this spring.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
i dont know how, but im in california and it smells like some kind of ash/burning. Its pretty nasty.

Hopefully theres nothing going on here as well....

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
HEY GUYS!! CHECK THIS www.alamongordo.com...
Edgar Cayce predicts tribulations will start after vulcanic eruption in Iceland and heavy earthquakes in South America. After vulcanic eruptions in Iceland watch more and more earthquakes and vulcanic eruptions, one of the places the next vulcanic activity will happen : Italy and Greece.

I'M SO FREAK OUT NOW..WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THIS..JUST A COICIDENCE
THE SOURCE WAS TAKEN FROM ANOTHER ABOETOPSECRET TREAD I WILL POST THE ORIGINAL LINK LATER.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by johnygius]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by johnygius

I thought in the other post on the Cayce predictions, it was basically decided to be innacurate of what he actually predicted. His actual prediction was over 12 years off and didn't mention those events in the same session/"reading".

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I also couldn't see that ash, but the seemingly invisible ash particles could destroy a combustion engine taking away the oxygen..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join