It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Europe hit by volcanic ash

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm about 45 miles away from London. No one else seems to care round here and I seem to be the only one pooping my pants. Most people I've spoken to didn't even know it had happened! The atmosphere was kind of eerie when I was walking back from a friend's house earlier on this evening when the sun was setting, again - the skies were totally empty and I could literally see just one really bright star in the sky. Weird, very weird.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sofijas

Sofijas, thank you so much for all of your information.
PS- your English is beautiful!!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If this results in england having a bad summer "when the world cup is on"

I will personally find the biggest tug boat i can in port and attempt to toe that viking infested island to the middle east,

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Try it, or we just send you good acid in the air

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SalkinVictory

The only personally advice I can give you if you've got astma is to turn up your air purifier if you've got one (with hepa filter), so that at least indoors the particles are minimized, and for outdoors at least use a scarf tied over the mouth and nose, or a dust mask (that's what I use).
And don't care about the peoples reactions in the streets. They are the ones breathing all that ****, not you

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Look on the "bright" side!

Nice weather for a change

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
lol

But even the sun is good, i like the rain better

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This thread has degenerated into siht. I live in the UK and we have every - i mean EVERY airport shut down - posibly for the next 5 days. For our american visitors to this site that is BIG NEWS. That means no travel into and out of the UK full stop. Same for all of Northern Europe actually! They aint effing about here. No flights at all! Never happened before - NEVER. We had a beautiful sunset last night but today was grey - and cold - ash?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sofijas
lol

But even the sun is good, i like the rain better

Just out of interest how bad is it where you are ?

Weather/Ash Clouds/Health etc,

Do you have any pics to share you are from iceland i take it?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ratman

you do realise that volcanic ash is not affecting boats and rail travel i hope?

boats and trains can take people into europe and to places where they can get to the usa if they wanted!

the uk has not shut down in the slightest, its just one method of transport that has seized to be on operation for the time being!

also, most of the uk's goods come by boat anyway, so its really nothing to worry about...

those travelling will have to wait, or take a longer route to wherever .. no real biggy is it.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
People here should listen to this old and wise story from Iceland, and think how Iceland won Europe 15 April.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

I live in Reykjavík, and there is no ASH here, so right now everything is good

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Something about this subject cracked me up.

I read an article on LCI.fr , which depends of Channel 1 in France, and there was this interview with a volcanologist working in Vulcania, a theme park dedicated to volcanoes and stuff. He said that some ash emissions could have devastating effects on climate and crops. He even estimated that the 1783 eruption of the Laki volcano (Europe) caused temperatures to go down for several years and crops to be less effective than before, leading indirectly to the famous French Revolution because of discontent and anger towards that matter.

Maybe we'll get lucky for this time, but it tends to make you think...doesn't it?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

If the ashfall continues for long it will effect trucks and rails, too.

While it is true that rail, ship, and commercial vehicles can take up some of the slack, there is NO viable substitute for high-value time-dependant cargoes. Some luxury items will disappear within a few days if the grounding is prolonged. No big deal there, but there are many ramifications that won't be known until their effects become occurred.

The EU's economy isn't in the best of shape to start with; this economic hit is bound to have a huge impact. How much government income has been lost already due to no landing fees?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
For those living in Belgium :

deus.irceline.be...

Usually the PM10 (fine dust particles) average is around 20 ug/m3 during the night, now it's up to 70

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Itsonlyme666]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
They stopped all the flights because of the ash.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here you have some video and satellite footage of the cloud. It's in Dutch, but an Impressive view.
They expect the cloud to arrive Belgium around tomorrow (friday) morning. So Regenstorm, since you're in Holland - Limburg, you might just need some patience to notice anything... small chance for a distinctive smell, some smog, a nice sunrise and maybe respiratory problems. There's a chance you won't even experience anything of this, depending on the behaviour of the cloud.

Expectations are the cloud won't descend, the layer probably passes at some 2-3km up in the air.
Belgian national healthcare agency asks, IF the ashcloud would pollute our air, to avoid intensive fysical efforts because of its fine dust particles (rock, glass, sulfur dioxide, higher concentration of carbon dioxide). The concentration of particles won't be much less inside houses compared to outside. Places with already high concentration of traffic pollution will be extra toxic.
Source (in Dutch)

And the airtrafic... That could get heavily disturbed for rather long term period, depending on the future plans of the Eyjafjalljökull and weather patterns.
Brussels airport booked all Brussels hotels and is now booking hotels all over the country (small country
) to put stranded passengers, the airport is full with emergency beds ... For now nothing flies untill friday 18pm.

The last plane that flew through a volcanic cloud (somewhere '83?) apparently fell down 7km (!) before they -just in time- got the engine started again.

[edit on 16/4/10 by Movhisattva]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
"you do realise that volcanic ash is not affecting boats and rail travel i hope?

boats and trains can take people into europe and to places where they can get to the usa if they wanted!

the uk has not shut down in the slightest, its just one method of transport that has seized to be on operation for the time being!

also, most of the uk's goods come by boat anyway, so its really nothing to worry about...

those travelling will have to wait, or take a longer route to wherever .. no real biggy is it."

Sorry I seem to have lost the ability to post quotes!?

Volcanic ash IS affecting rail and boat travel because of the knock on affect from the airports being closed. I live near a major UK airport and I have never ever seen it shut. All those people that were flying are trying to get taxis, buses and trains elsewhere = overload on the transport system. Even if you get to France or northern europe, their air space is shut down, so how the f are you going to get to the USA! I could comment here about naive americans - but i wont.

"Most UK goods come by boat anyway"! where the f did you get that from! Never heard of the Channel tunnel? No of course you havn't.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Ratman]

Apologies for excessive editing - my poor spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Just for updates personal info.I in Scotland right now and it been a gloriously sunny day today not a ash cloud in sight and even though the British airspace is apparently shut down not more then 1 hour ago a plane flew over.

i heard the noise of it then looked out window and saw it fly over,that was about 0.40am.Not a major plane like jumbo or anything like that but maybe private jet.

So someone on the move.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Well folks im in Wales..the lil lumpy bit on the left of the UK.

and ive been out the whole day. i had no idea this was going on until well now..which is about 1:41am. The past three days and apparently tomorrow the weather has been beautiful. Felt like summer. Not a plane in the sky no choppers, chemtrails, contrails, or any ufos (we see them now and again)

will grab my camera tomorrow just to keep an eye out. Air space is apparently off limits until 1pm gmt.

kinda wierd though..whole of europe? there hasnt been a cloud in the sky for three days! milky way in the sky every night.

few more reports from europe would be nice.

p.s no medical warning reports have poppped up on radio or tv

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join