It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Europe hit by volcanic ash

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I'm not sure if people have posted these already so ignore if they have...

Volcano Images

Plus many more (source the usual amazing Boston Big Picture)

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

Of course they would smell it. Sulfer reeks like a mountain of rotten eggs! Your thinking of carbon monoxide.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by mrsdudara]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

once you take a few breaths in the smell goes so it just tricks you, the eruption in the 1700s gassed lots of people outdoors to nearby france

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I live in Sweden apox 12miles north of Stockholm. Today the swedish newspapers flaged for a major ashclowd over my area at 08:00 european time.
So far the sky is blue and not a trace of any ashcloud.

Ill make another reply here and possibly with some pictures if there will be a "blackout"

Bye for now

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
From Iceladn: Hey there ATS...
This is my first post.. I just had to, because of what is going on here

I´ve been reading the post´s from you guys for 1 1/2 year now, and i love ATS and all its knowledge, this is one my favorit website.

Well since im from Iceland... I can tell you everybody´s strangely calm here. I feel that this event/eruption MIGHTbe somthing BIG, but no one knows. the wether is blowing all the ash away from Iceland for now but that might/will change....
blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

What I want to bring up is that 20 mars a volcanic eruption started at "fimmvörðu háls" all Icelanders were exited and tens of thousands (icelanders and tourist) took the trip to go and see the eruption, to do that you have to drive from RVK four 2 1/2 hours and then either have to hike for 5-8 or to go over the glacier (mýrdalsjökull) by moutain jeep (we have many) or by snowmbiles also quadricycles..this eruption didn´t cause any delays or any kind of trouble for us, it wasnt that big, just nature´s beutiful ways( may amazing pics have been taken)..... this eruption stopt at 12.04.2010
..................this is a good website with dates and times and good pics(google translate)
www.vedur.is...

At 2300 14.04.2010 Eyjafjallajokull (Eyjafjalla glacier) started to erupt and the eruption is 20 times bigger (for now, might get bigger) than the first eruption.... and I tell you it´s so mutch bigger.... there is so mutch ash and smoke that there has ben no pics of the actuall lava or the spuing(all the lava pics are from the first eruption)
....Here are som pics of the second eruption
www.vedur.is...
...massive flooding of the melted glacier... it even closed of our rout1 witch is the ONLY road that goes around the country, so thats big for us
www.vedur.is...
www.vedur.is...
...amazing radar images of the crater in Eyjafjallajökull. Megingosopin are three and each of 200-500 meters in diameter. mbl.is... .........hmmm what´s going on!!!!

Now we have some erthqake activiti (both eruptions started that way) in two other places witch might caus volcanic eruptions sientists say

What I am saying is that this might be bigger than we imagine ..!!!!

miss Iceland hehe

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Hi ..
by the way last time Eyjafjallajokull erupted it lasted for two ears..... and nobody knows how long this on will last..

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnygius
HEY GUYS!! CHECK THIS www.alamongordo.com...
Edgar Cayce predicts tribulations will start after vulcanic eruption in Iceland and heavy earthquakes in South America. After vulcanic eruptions in Iceland watch more and more earthquakes and vulcanic eruptions, one of the places the next vulcanic activity will happen : Italy and Greece.

I'M SO FREAK OUT NOW..WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THIS..JUST A COICIDENCE
THE SOURCE WAS TAKEN FROM ANOTHER ABOETOPSECRET TREAD I WILL POST THE ORIGINAL LINK LATER.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by johnygius]

are you serious? one of his predictions is 'more notable people will die in 2010'

The most ridiculous website I have ever read!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
dear oh dear ... haha, it seems like scotland has spoken!

i guess this dude also had money in an iclandic bank! hahaa

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
this is a good laugh ... at least for me, an Icelander with a good humor

Reportedly according to the deceased Icelandic economy it had a last request that the ashes would be spread over europe

hahahahaha
)

[edit on 16-4-2010 by heimir]

[edit on 16-4-2010 by heimir]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

Check out this article. I thought this might be one of the consequences of global warming and it seems to be the case. Might explain some of the earthquakes that have occurred recently in more populated areas that typically have them rarely. The experts however say that the number of large quakes is about average most usually occur in the ocean depths.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Useful site giving live data on air pollution for London and SE England. The first signs of any particulates getting to ground level will be found here. Its at that point that those of us living here need to worry about staying indoors.

www.londonair.org.uk...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I second that. This is one of the main outstanding factors of ATS. You could never get this level of information about an event such as this on main stream media.

Meanwhile here in my part of the UK - sky is as blue as cornflowers with not one contrail spoiling it. This is how the ancients experienced the sky!

Thanks again to everyone for their reports.

Cheers,

Aelf

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
Thanks for all the good eye witness reporting from Northern Europe and UK. ATS rocks when it comes to stuff like this! Please keep letting us know what you see...and smell, and take care.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I'm in Wales, UK

Originally posted by nuffsaid747
reply to post by Aelfrede

Where are you located?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
There is a distinct smell of sulphur in the air here in the UK.

You might be confusing with the smell of Gordon Broon sh1tting himself after last nights tv debate

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Now they say it could last for six months... Oh boy. The EU economy and mostly the UK economy is doomed if that happens... well the UK economy was already doomed, but at least this time they can blame the volcano for it.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
For those wondering what the perils of flying through the ash cloud entails , here is an Air-crash Investigations documentary about a British Airways Flight that had unknowingly flown into a cloud of volcanic ash ejected by the eruption of Mount Galunggung Jakarta .

The most troubling aspect relating to the incident was that the crew had no idea what was causing the various malfunctions to the engines and the lack of visibility . It must of been a terrifyingly bizarre ordeal with an eerie St Elmo`s fire-like glow- emanating from the planes engines and windscreen.

Then they lost all four engines !

The Jakarta Incident -British Airways Flight 9

Google Video Link

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
In the UK, Eurocontrol and a Rep from NATS have just been on BBC, live from Brussels, advising due to the weather conditions not changing that flying restrictions over Northern Europe are NOT due to be changed for at leat another 24hrs or so...
My thoughts are with all Icelanders; please keep yourselves safe and well xx

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
"Iceland was supposed to send us cash - not ash, can't they read!" That one made me laugh.

South east of England is looking pretty dandy for once. I'm on the lookout for aliens ^_^

I think that we should all welcome the eruption...not only is it bringing solitude...but it will cool our planet. Except that it was a prime factor towards causing the French revolution and disrupted monsoons in Asia.

Just another beauty of nature...at least we have for once something going on, on our side.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Looks like a few more days til the conditions over Europe will get better:

Iceland ic volcano still spewing huge ash plume

REYKJAVIK - An Icelandic volcano is still spewing ash into the air in a massive plume that has disrupted air traffic across Europe and shows little sign of letting up, officials said on Friday.
One expert said the eruption at the volcano, about 120 km (75 miles) southeast of capital Reykjavik, could abate in the coming days, but a government spokesman said ash would keep drifting into the skies of Europe.

The thick, dark brown ash cloud that shot several kilometres (miles) into the air and has drifted away from the north Atlantic island has shut down air traffic across northern Europe and restrictions remained in place in many areas.

Norway and Sweden said they would resume limited flights in their northern areas, but Poland and the Czech Republic joined the list of countries with closed airports.

“It is more or less the same situation as yesterday, it is still erupting, still exploding, still producing gas,” University of Iceland professor Armann Hoskuldsson told Reuters.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Movhisattva

Freaky, and that when everybody acts like nothing is happening... Weird

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join