It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Fireball Reported Over Madison, WI!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by darkdispatch523

That link had nothing to do with the fireball.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
How does that video match up to the others.
They don't seem to be of the same thing. Isn't it friction from the atomosphere x speed that causes a meteorite to become a ball of fire?
What's this thing doin forty knots cruzin across the sky. At least that seems to be the case in this video. For it to be on fire via re=entry.
Space shuttle I've heard the shuttle comes in at 25,000 miles an hour.
If that's wrong will then correct the hell out of me. Damn thing wasn't even
close to 5000 either.

So why is this puppy on fire?

Firstly it's not on fire. Meteors do not burn. There is not enough oxygen to sustain combustion at the kinds of altitudeds meteors are luminous at, dor an explenation of the processes involved, plesae look at a previous post I made here.

The main factors involved the determine brightness are density, velocity, size, andgle of entry as well as where the observer is in relation to the meteor, and last but not least speed.

As a meteor plunges lower down into the atmosphere, the air gets thicker, and so the meteoroid, if it's big enough to make it down to between 20-50km causes the air to glow more. Eventually though, the air resistance will slow even the larger rocks down to freefall speed, but the vast majority disintergrate in a bright flash and release of energy like this one did partially at one point, and often the surviving fragments are quickly slowed down to the point at which they no longer glow.

How a meteor appears depends on the veiwpoint of the observer, and the same meteor can look quite different from a different angle/location. You must also keep in mind that we live on a curved surface, so what may appear to be relitively close and low down, can actually be a long way away and many tens of km above the ground. This one catches almost everyone out

Here is a meteor compilation that sows a selection of bright meteors and their flashes. See for yourself how it compares.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I've sometimes wondered if there was a way to hook up an IR camera to scan just a very small range of temperatures and look at the daytime sky to see possible meteor falls that would otherwise be missed. These things are falling all the time, after all. Most don't do anything quite so dramatic. But if you had an IR tuned to catch rises in temperature in the upper atmosphere, I bet you could catch some on video.

Just a thought. I don't have an IR camera.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Forgive me if this has been posted already in this thread.
This happened in Calgary, Canada, according to the video on November, 20th, 2008.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by FoxMulder91]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
WOW! that thing is HUGE! how do we know if it isnt a downed mothership or not?? especially considering the growing trend of orgone making, this might have a direct impact.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Has anyone else enlarged the 6 photos from: www.wkowtv.com...

Very interesting.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
If natural disasters and meteors,fireballs are a regular occurrence,then all we need to do is go to youtube or google video and start say year 1998 and search for fireballs and disasters, then count how many videos they have and see if it the search results hits goes up the closer to 2011 ,then you will know if more are happening

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashar
If natural disasters and meteors,fireballs are a regular occurrence,then all we need to do is go to youtube or google video and start say year 1998 and search for fireballs and disasters, then count how many videos they have and see if it the search results hits goes up the closer to 2011 ,then you will know if more are happening

No, it's not as simple as that, there are more cameras now than there were then... cameras have exploded in numbers every year for the last decase or so. Not to mention there are more people observing and reporting these things, and there are more all-sky camera networks dedicated to watching the sky for fireballs, organizations recording them, news , net ... all these things have grown in the past decade dramatically.

Fireball footage feom before 2000 is fairly scarse, but in recent years many have been recorded.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Happens every night. I've seen many of these huge meteors go right over Tucson. I could have read a book with the light.

Was at a star party.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I don't have time to read through this thread, but this seems really freakin interesting...that video linked on the first page is crazy, has anybody explained just what the hell is happening within the span of these 3 frames (they are in order):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b34b19f4ab4.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/362b15dc025a.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56aa2bddcf2b.jpg[/atsimg]

Those 3 frames scream conspiracy to me...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I was acutally out riding in a subnaked bike ride event when it went down... it was the highlight of the evening...

& Lucifer fell & woah from the sky, then suddenly a sonic booming voice upon the people hinder under & onto the Isthmus...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Listed as a 'Cosmic Event' on RSOE - pretty interesting.

Great thread.

peace

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

It says "Cause of event: Unknown" ...is that odd? I only just noticed this thread, I have no idea what the conclusion was, or if one has even been made, perhaps they haven't updated it yet? And what of those images I posted above? I'll have to have a quick gander through this thread I think...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The nightlly news reported that this thing was the size of a VW bug... is that normal? I have never seen one that size and admit that I would have been freaking out!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
My guess? A super sayian

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
I don't have time to read through this thread, but this seems really freakin interesting...that video linked on the first page is crazy, has anybody explained just what the hell is happening within the span of these 3 frames (they are in order):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b34b19f4ab4.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/362b15dc025a.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56aa2bddcf2b.jpg[/atsimg]

Those 3 frames scream conspiracy to me...

I see two objects in the sky. Looks like the lightning hit one of them.
Never mind, I see the fireball and the two objects in the second frame, they must be stars.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by PhyberDragon]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by PhyberDragon

I spent a few minutes messing around in photoshop, hopefully the following images speak for themselves...
...and the so called "star" in this first image actually travels down from the top right hand corner. Check this link out, and set it to the highest frame rate. www.aos.wisc.edu...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b74b5d7f3bdf.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/feb382c5bf3e.jpg[/atsimg]
Wow, I actually just noticed there are two moving "stars", and they are moving, because if you observe the other stars, they all stay in the exact same position. The second moving object is right near where the bright explosion looking thing is. I didn't notice it at first, and that arrow is just meant to point to the explosion.

EDIT: ok, I changed the first picture and added an arrow to point to the second moving object.

EDIT: And I don't think that even looks like lightening...it just doesn't look right...I'm not sure what it is though...well, I'm guessing that must be the so called meteorite, but how much time lapses between each of those frames, because that thing seems to zip down and create a bright flash REALLY quick...which totally contradicts the other footage they showed on the news where it really did just seem to be travelling way too slowly to be a meteorite...and I still want to know what the hell all the other crap going on in those two frames are...there is something majorly suss here, I know it...

EDIT: ok, it seems there was 10 seconds between those two frames, so that makes it a little more believable. I would still like to know what all that activity going on is though. Too many weird things happening at one time for my liking.

[edit on 16/4/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
news report from australia

Video from WISN showed a massive ball of light exploding across the sky. The Doppler Radar from the Quad Cities weather service appeared to capture a portion of the smoke trail from the fireball at just after 10 p.m., the NWS said. It appears as a thin line extending across portions of Grant and Iowa Counties in Wisconsin. There has been no official determination as to what caused the fireball, the NWS in Sullivan said.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I agree with You CHAOS Something is definatley suss here just doesnt look like a Normal meteor at all.

Those streaks dont look like lightening

Weird to say the least

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

The frames were obviously taken at slow intervals judging by the street activities. You can clearly see the plane moving quite a distance between frames. Also, I believe the bright object that appears in the right side is the actual meteor coming into frame. Since the frames were taken at slow intervals, you only get a glimpse of it and then the explosion.

The only thing that seems odd the is the contrail to the left side. It could merely be a visual effect from the curvature of the earth, which is why it looks like it's going down into the ground.

Link to clips

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Clisen33]

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join