It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Fireball Reported Over Madison, WI!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
This report is from the capital of Wisconsin, in the upper midwest USA. Surrounding population of about 450,000.

Just got off the phone w/ my brother, dad, and sister. On the way home from work, my bro saw a huge streaking flaming fireball low in the sky "looked like a UFO bursting into flames." He pulled over it was so incredible.

At the same time, my little sister, 11 y/o (10 miles away) saw the sky 'light up like day w/ an intense bluish light.' She was super excited, saying she won't be able to sleep tonight, lol.

My dad (always has been in to astronomy/ ufos) called the non-emergency police:

Apparently, they have received '100s of frantic/ excited calls.' They told my dad they aren't sure if it was an airplane, meteor, or what....

Nothing on the local news website www.madison.com... yet.

My brother just texted that 'there's some flaming material from outer-space somewhere nearby, lol.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is one of the best videos of the event (from a dash cam in Iowa) if people don't want to scroll through the whole post to see this spectacular footage:

Best,
Skunknuts

P.S. I looked up meteor showers, and apparently the lyrid meteor show peaks in about a week.....

[edit on 4/14/2010 by skunknuts] (to add video)

[edit on 4/15/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Whoa, and this just happened. *grabs popcorn*

I'm pretty excited to find out what it is. I'll be awaiting details.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NASA is ASAN

Yeah, me too. I'd say they saw it at approx. 10:15pm Central Time USA.....

Best,
SN

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
News link

"Giant Fireball" Lights up the Night Sky
By Aaron Hepker

Story Created: Apr 14, 2010 at 10:24 PM CDT

www.kcrg.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
www.wkowtv.com...

some pics I think on the left..

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Yeah, the reports of this incident spans 4 states.

Something big, entered the atmosphere, and hit Wisconsin, according to chatter I have picked up elsewhere on the interwebs.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Awesome. I just called my family and read them the articles. My bro. was driving on the south of the city, rural hwy= perfect vantage point. Based on what he said, I think it was travelling east/ southeast. I'm envious.

Best,
SN

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Keep an eye out for military salvage ops...then u know u have somethin big.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
Another cool link:

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

This site is awesome. Everyone should check it out. Reports pouring in from 5+ states:

I was hanging out in a Culver's with some friends when I looked out the window and literally had myself convinced that i saw a plane exploding. It was bright orange, had a tail, and looked to be disintegrating. I couldn't hear anything indoors with all the people around, but it didn't look that high in the sky and rather large. I was located in lower Wisconsin. Probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Saw the fireball tonight, 4/14/2010 around 10:20 PM in Western Dubuque, exactly above sundown ski resort area. It looked like a great big moving fireball with sparks flying off of it. It lit up my entire house and yard. A couple of minutes after it passes, we heard and felt rumbling and our deck shook. It was HUGE. It looked like it was only about 200 feet in the air.

Roughly 15 minutes ago I saw several very bright flashes in the sky through a west-facing window here in Monticello, Wisconsin. A nearby amateur astronomer acquaintance emailed to report that she had seen a bright "red and green" fireball transit the western horizon just below a local treeline. There was no perceptible sonic boom here.

wow yea I just told my mom about the brightest shooting star I have ever seen about 20 minutes ago. Then we saw report on kare 11 about how the sheriffs office is getting a bunch of reports on sightings. It was pretty much staight south of where I was at in Rogers Minnesota. It was big and had a neon blue color like LED lights with a longer orangish tail was really slow compared to normal shooting stars/metors COOL!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
For once it just so happens I'm in the area of occurence! I unfortunately did not see anything outside my window and I am pretty dang high up. But if i hear anything else i will let you know! *looks outside window* again nothing too strange out there, no cops, not anything except for the usual drunken students.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by fizliz
For once it just so happens I'm in the area of occurence! I unfortunately did not see anything outside my window and I am pretty dang high up. But if i hear anything else i will let you know! *looks outside window* again nothing too strange out there, no cops, not anything except for the usual drunken students.

Are you in Madison too?

Here is the 'breaking news' from madison.com:

host.madison.com...

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Get out there and find that meteor! It's worth tons of cash, p
ay off your cars

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
This is very odd and out of sorts. It also fits in with the very disturbed cycles of the earth over the last couple of months. Could it be symbolizing of an even more active period to come. It is very possible since this was felt in the New Madrid fault line area that it could be a sign of a future quake. I found this youtube video that expounds upon that idea. www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
When stuff like this goes down, this is always a good site to follow what's going on.

www.radioreference.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Hey everyone...here is a loop of this thing taken from the University of Winsconsin. I don't know about anyone else, but there seems to be a lot going here...not just a meteorite...what do you say???

www.aos.wisc.edu...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out
Hey everyone...here is a loop of this thing taken from the University of Winsconsin. I don't know about anyone else, but there seems to be a lot going here...not just a meteorite...what do you say???

www.aos.wisc.edu...

Ok, I watched this a few more time now, and I think I see the sequence here. Plane moving from north to south, meteor moving east to west, two contrails heading north to south. One trail from the plane that must have gotten quite a show...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

keloland.com...

Plane Makes Emergency Stop In Sioux Falls

Posts By Ben Dunsmoor
Published: April 14, 2010, 10:32 PM

SIOUX FALLS, SD - A United Airlines flight from Washington D.C. to Seattle, Washington was diverted to Sioux Falls Wednesday night.

Airline officials say the flight crew started to smell smoke in the cabin an hour after taking off from Washington D.C. The plane landed in Sioux Falls and officials say everyone on board is safe and should be able to get to Seattle.

United Airlines won't know what caused the smoke until their safety experts can examine the plane.

This could be related. The plane would have been on a path and when they are so high you can see them from quite a few places. Also note the time it landed 10:32 not sure if it is the same thing just showing what I found.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out

www.aos.wisc.edu...

That's exactly what I thought, there's something falling / or coming down then suddenly to the right of it something goes extremely bright, then there's the flash but it's no where near the previous object and then you can still see there's something still coming down.

Very odd, surely if the meteor is the object coming down then what's the initial bright object to the right, why is the flash miles away and wht's that thing still moving in the same trajectory as it started?

Edit: As mentioned in a post I missed the thing coming down is a plane just flying away from the camera (oops), still puzzled about the first light and the flash position. There's no trail between them and judging by the planes motion giving a clue to the time between images I'm sure there should have been a visible trail between the first big light and the flash?

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Mclaneinc]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
In the loop, I'm seeing several stationary objects (probably stars), the dim moving light (possibly an airplane), the brighter object that appears to the right of the dimmer one (no clue what that is), and when the flash happens, there's two contrails on either side of the flash. Bizarre stuff, definitely gonna keep an eye on this one.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0a3c49cd3d8.gif[/atsimg]

TheAssoc.

Edit: tried to embed it, but it doesn't fit too well, sorry

[edit on 15-4-2010 by TheAssociate]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join