It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Fireball Reported Over Madison, WI!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingkool
Assuming this is a meteor, isn't anyone concerned about the size?

It's kind of hard to tell how big it was from the video. The brightness of the thing pretty much depends on what it's made of. If there's a decent portion of magnesium in it, it could be really bright but not very big at all. This one might have been as big as a refrigerator or something, maybe, because it had enough mass to explode pretty good.

Anyway, NASA doesn't really track the stuff that comes straight in. It's better at tracking things in orbit. Most asteroid/meteor work is done by amateurs.

But realistically, what good would a warning be? What are you going to do about it? Run away? Getting hit by exploding space rocks is just another chance you take living on this planet.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lottowinner649
great footage, it was even on news

[edit on 15-4-2010 by lottowinner649]

i think last week i have read a thread here in ATS about a guy who claimed to witnessed something very much like this (meteorite/fireball about the size of a bus) but he had no video so the thread was quickly buried i think.. so yeah just pointing out if maybe this was the same thing he saw..

a guy from Scotland North/West Edinburgh.

there is his thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viper2
I'm surprised skeptics are not all over this event trying to debunk it. Oh I forgot, it's not ET-related so they are ok with it. If the media had said it was a UFO instead of a meteorite, the skeptics would be going crazy!

Not if it was clearly captured on a number of different cameras and had plenty of witnesses who were willing not to be anonymous. That's a good first step. You rarely if ever get that in UFO reports. If it did happen, I think even most skeptics would remain cautiously curious to see what the available evidence was.

Also, there haven't been that many people jumping on the news and claiming this was a crashing flying saucer with aliens inside. That also minimized the debunking, because there's naturally less bunk.

Hey, for all anybody knows, maybe it was a crashing alien spaceship. But that would be up to whoever claimed that to prove.

All most skeptics want is some good solid evidence that proves up a theory -- whether it's meteor or aliens. Is that too much to ask, or should we just assume alien spaceship and let it go at that?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfenz

Originally posted by lottowinner649
great footage, it was even on news

i think last week i have read a thread here in ATS about a guy who claimed to witnessed something very much like this [...]

a guy from Scotland North/West Edinburgh.
there is his thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well, it is Lyrid meteor season, which should peak about April 21/22.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

OK use the dash cam to find the location of the filming. Then use Google earth to extrapolate a trajectory. Then go hunting..... you could be first...

Sounds like the douglas preston novel "impact" i just read. Hope its not some strange matter

need help.. im sure theres plenty who would help.

you could make some cash and have maybe 10 minutes of fame

[edit on 15-4-2010 by djmolecular]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts
Here is another cool video from Milwaukee, WI to the east. My brother says this one most closely resembles what he saw.

www.wisn.com...

Best,
SN

I was waiting for some one to post that vid. Now that's the one they are showing on HLN. How does that video match up to the others.
They don't seem to be of the same thing. Isn't it friction from the atomosphere x speed that causes a meteorite to become a ball of fire?
What's this thing doin forty knots cruzin across the sky. At least that seems to be the case in this video. For it to be on fire via re=entry.
Space shuttle I've heard the shuttle comes in at 25,000 miles an hour.
If that's wrong will then correct the hell out of me. Damn thing wasn't even
close to 5000 either.

So why is this puppy on fire?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthquakeNewMadrid2010

dont forget one could postulate, esp. with all the SOHO movies posted

here on ATS in the last several months, of increased meteoric events.

Largest comet ever was recorded recently too - McNaught.

The intrepid astronomer and sitchin buff would immediately think...

is the meteor storm just beginning?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Awesome video.

Wisconsin has (maybe) had a bad history with meteors/comets, though. One interesting (though controversial) theory for the cause of the Great Peshtigo Fire, which occurred on the same day as the Great Chicago Fire, is that it was caused by a piece of a meteor or comet hitting Earth. In fact, the thought is that both the Chicago and Peshtigo fires were maybe caused by the same event, a broken body hitting the earth, much like when Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter (only on a much, much smaller scale).

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
My ex's parent's live in Waukesha about 20 miles from where this happened, they say they heard a boom that shook the house. They have security cams posted around their house, and his dad is going to check them later. If they show anything ill be sure to grab a feed of it and post it.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Itachimaru]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Could the meteorite actually be a chunk of rock blasted into the atmosphere from the erupted volcano in Iceland?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

www.comcast.net...

maybe that will shed some light on the subject.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
reply to post by EarthquakeNewMadrid2010

dont forget one could postulate, esp. with all the SOHO movies posted

here on ATS in the last several months, of increased meteoric events.

Largest comet ever was recorded recently too - McNaught.

The intrepid astronomer and sitchin buff would immediately think...

is the meteor storm just beginning?

I saw a blue "fireball" the other day. Not nearly as bright as this one, but it was blue, and let of chunks of yellow molten stuff.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kevinquisitor
Could the meteorite actually be a chunk of rock blasted into the atmosphere from the erupted volcano in Iceland?

I don't know if thats the case but volcanoes can do that so star for you!

This is a second line.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sentinel007
This is significant. This object is, was, unlike any meteor we have experienced previously.

Actually, we are hit by rocks like this one on a regular basis, although each one is a slaightly different composition, so in that sense they are significant, especially if meteorites are recovered which can then be analysed and tell us things about the world around us and how it came to be the way it is.

Unlike in what way? Did you even bother checking previous reports/posts? Just from ATS alone in the last couple of years or so, here is a collection of similar events/posts that I have collected:

South Africa Nov. 21 - Another big fireball/meteor(w/video footage)
Midwest megameteor makes media madness
Great Western Fireball
Green Fire Ball flies across the Calgary morning sky(3/29/09)
Fireball and flash in the sky alarms Utahns
Indonesian Super-Bolide Explosion ( why wasn't this on the news?)
Did anyone see what dropped out of the sky in northern ca. 5pmish 11-7-9
UFO crash in Russia last week
Fireball over Holland(w/ pic!)
Huge light over the gold coast city
Bright Blue Flash and Burning Blue Object in Night Sky - PA
Really bright shooting stars over the North-East of England
Unidentified Object crashes into QLD mountain
Another Meteor Fireball: Ireland
UFO mar31/09 streaks across calgary sky leaves a lot of people asking..
Loud explosions in Hampton Roads area
UFO-induced "Non--sonic" Boom Rattles So. Cal?
UFO - meteor like object with sonic boom above Dallas and Austin Texas!
Possible UFO crash in Saudi Arabia - Millions Of Witnesses!!
Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada
Big blue light over sweden
UFO over Tok Alaska
Nice video footage of Meteor over Croatia
Fireball Over Polk County
Green Fireball UFO crash in Oregon last night
Bright Meteor 10/9/08 seen over Chicago. Did anyone see it?
Fireball lights up night sky in Switzerland March 01/08
Mysterious Fireball Prompts Dozens Of 911 Calls
Big fireball SW USA - 18th Jan
Mysterious "Fireball" seen over 4 US states Today
Monday, Jan. 19th at 16:28 UT, a huge fireball was seen in western Norway
Reports of ANOTHER very large fireball
A few meters planetoid will hit Earth
Major Bolide Forecast Tonight; No Damage Expected
Bolide Footage From Melbourne
Possible UFO Crash In Finland (Video)
Unusual Observation

Something of this size and proximity to earth should have been picked up by observatories days ago.

Says who?

Actually objects of this size are very hard to spot with conventional technology - they are not that big, only a few meters usually.

There has been only one documented case of an object like this being picked up before impact (see links below) but its likely that there will be many more to come.

A few meters planetoid will hit Earth
Major Bolide Forecast Tonight; No Damage Expected

The explosions I believe were due to the speed of the object not an impact.

Well you managed to get this part of what you said right

In most cases, objects like this disintergrate completely while still at many km altitude. To an object moving at hyper-velocity speeds, encountering the lower atmosphere, and thicker layers of atmosphere can be like hitting a brick wall. Any surviving fragments are usually decellerated to free-fall speed rapidly, and fall for a few minutes in a phase known as "dark flight". As the term implies, the fragments will usually fall unseen, and can be scattered over a wide area.

Why has no information been reported about the actual impact site, (if landed), or debris.

See above.

Something is amiss.

Yes, and it could easily be remedied by using a search engine and a little bit of common sense.

I'm not having a go at you, I just want to point out that most of the general public know little about the true nature and frequency of big fireballs.

This is just past the peak time of the year for large fireballs, but they can (and do) occur throughout the year. There is nothing unusual about them, but what some people are finding unusual is how many occur each year and every year. Unfortunately these events usually do not get much attention from the MSM, although they have been going on for long before you and I were here.

The only reason the are getting attention now is because of the camera footage... there is not much of a story without impressive footage, and there are more cameras around today than ever before, so it's hardly surprising that these events are starting to get a little bit of attention now and then.

Also, with newsgathering sites like ATS and the internet in general, people being on sites like this get to hear about these events more than the public in general. As someone who has been interested in events like this for over a decade, I can say that we have always had events like this, but it's only recently that the general public has started to get any real exposure to them via the MSM.

Previously, I did not really see any of these reports outside of the research community, although they they were always available to anyone inquisitive enough to find them

People also forget to keep in mind that most of the earth is uninhabited, and covered by vast swaiths of ocean where there is no one to see or report these events, and if they occur in daylight, many are missed. It's only recently that the scientists researching these events are starting to get a true picture of how often they occur themselves.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Regarding the speed of the meteor: Terminal velocity (the maximum speed any object can reach in freefall being propelled by nothing other than gravity within the lower atmosphere) is 120mph. So that object is moving the same speed as any other object you have seen in freefall. It burned up just like a meteor. It lit up just like a meteor. It was a gigantic meteor. If you want to know why you personally have not witnessed nor seen first hand evidence of one: there is a probability law that states since a majority of the planet is uninhabited the chances of any meteor, much less a large one which in itself is rare, landing in or being witnessed near the ground in any populated area is much lower than it landing in or being witnessed near the ground in any unpopulated area. Hopefully that makes sense.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
My entire section of Colorado is filled with smoke, we can't even see the gigantic mountains there's so much smoke, and the police lines are full so we can't get through. Don't know if it's related but it may be.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
looks like a meteor, and of course we are not getting any information interest on where it landed and what it is from any research facilities..

Nothing to see here..

No more further information is needed.. its a meteor..

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

Reports say it landed in northwest Wisconsin, but wouldn't a meteor the size of a basketball destroy whatever it landed on? I don't think it landed!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
There does seem to be a lot more meteor activity in the worlds sky now...but then again maybe that's just my perception. Though not to sound to off-the-wall...those that believe Nibiru will be making its return soon claim that it will have to pass through the asteroid belt sending more and more meteors hurtling our way. Perhaps this is a warning shot hahah

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join