It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Hi Moorf

All I saw yesterday were clouds. I've been sleeping from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. now for days, it seems like. I think I am growing fangs

poro cam has been down but it may be working now tho it is all black

on vodafone yesterday I did see the bottom of glacier and there is now a huge amount of water compared to previously.. I zoomed way in and saw the water fall there at the foot of the glacier.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by berkeleygal]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Update on activity Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland

Current events Assessment - 26 April 2010 19:15

No visual observations at eruption site; no magma flow is visible. Radar images show continuous build-up of a tephra crater/cone in the northern ice cauldron; the diameter of the crater is 200 m and the height of the crater cone is 130-170 m.

GPS observations are consistent with deflation of a magma reservoir beneath Eyjafjallajökull. No measurable geophysical changes within the Katla volcano. Earthquake activity on the north-western edge of Vatnajökull is unconnected with the ongoing eruption.

Magma flow-rate and plume height has remained at similar levels during the last few days. Lava continues to flow northward. No signs of melting or meltwater discharge towards the south. There is no indication that the eruption is about to end; however, it is an order of magnitude smaller than in the first explosive phase.

The above is based on a status report issued collectively by IMO and the Institute of Earth Sciences at 18:00 this evening.

en.vedur.is...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Lightening up at Poro now

That's quite a big (read: wide) plume this morning...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Discovery Channel Special
The Volcano That Stopped The World
May 6, 2010 9 p.m. pacific

Cool!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
That is something to watch, thx for sharing. The webcams are showing that meltwater is increasing. So the rapports say. I say this is not the end off it!!!

www2.norvol.hi.is...

I think this threat most not go off topic, my ideea!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
On the Poro cam - I've been waiting for a while for the cloud to disappear (the one sitting below the crater. Anyway, it's moving but not going - so then I looked at what might be the source - a small "vent" (dark melted patch - small - situated above the larger round melted patch) - so, I ask you all - is it a steaming vent or is it an unfortunately placed cloud?

EDIT: convinced myself it's cloud..

[edit on 27-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Ok, so now I don't think it's cloud (sorry!)

Here's an image of what I'm seeing - what do you think?? Steam from lava flow down other side or something opened up?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56b628ac35c1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I think you're right. I've mentioned this earlier, but now there is no doubt - that either a new went or a lavaflow.
On the Vala cam I think we can see the ice cap is melting. (to the left of the plume)
I read someting earlier today that the internal heat is rising.
Maybe this is the result.
Source: www.dailygalaxy.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by hico

I'm pretty sure it's a lava flow. I'm not sure of the contours of where it's flowing, but if it comes down the glacier that should be quite a show!

hico - great link to article on the heating up of the volcanoes, too - thanks

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
It could be steam i gues. But you never now by this event. Some strange things can ocur by volcano's. Even the pro's sometimes gues what somethings are!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The lava appears to be flowing down a gully and has moved quite a bit in the last 2 hrs - now further down as indicated below. Since taking that pic the plume has increased somewhat.

Wow, this could be quite a show - lava flow down glacier!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fdf1c855185f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Check out the cam now, MUCH more steam or ash coming out of that area now compared to the pic just posted... don't think it is clouds...!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by derekvli

I've been glued to the cam for about.. err.. 3 hrs

It's definitely steam - could make for spectacular viewing when it gets dark... pretty sure it's continuance of the lava flow, most steam originating from the front of it as it melts the snow and ice.

It's 1.30am here - I'm torn between going to bed and getting up when it's dark in Iceland or continuing to sit here

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

hmmm, so if it is steam due to lava flow, it should stop in a few hours, depending on how much ice\snow is there... right? Wouldn't the steam cloud be moving south with the lava flow.. unless there is crater that is holding it or no snow/ice further down.

Just looked at cam, looks like steam is gone for the moment.....

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by derekvli

Steam will probably blow with the wind but will be pretty easy to spot by the white steam cloud - it's on a glacier, remember, so there's quite a lot of steam to be produced with all that ice.

As for how far it will go - I've no idea. I guess that all depends on the amount of material being expelled. Would be interesting to know what its rate of flow might be though.

EDIT: You can clearly see the path where the flow is heading now.. I can't take my eyes of it - a huge avalanche of steam!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Get some sleep Moorf. ;-)

I am not convinced the "steam" we see on Poro is coming from a lava flow.
It could be linked to the fisure of the vent getting larger and we see steam from the eruption itself at new places.
Or we were only staring at refelction from light on Ice/snow.

Nightfall with tell us more.

Nidy

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I wonder how lava flows on glaciers work.. I mean, might the flow find a weak spot and go under the ice or find an already existing meltwater channel and head down there??

Here's a better shot of the steam from lava flow...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0b56bc6c6c8c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

Yeah I should

I'm convinced it's the lava flow though, been following it for a few hours now.. time will tell

10 more mins then I'm off to hit the sack! Honest!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Thanks for keeping this going guys.

Nice to check in now and then, and see what is going on.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yes it is lava. There is basaltic magma welling up and the volcano temperature as measured from space is increasing.

Currently the lava flow is around 0.5km long and growing.

I can't find the post but I gather someone was asking about the location of the cameras.

You can download this KMZ file that I made for Google Earth which locates all the cams. The only one I am not 100% sure about is the Vodafone cam, but it is pretty much around where I have placed it.

new topics

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join