It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I figured 4.5 hours of sleep would be enough

But it's looking like the flow has slowed quite a bit and not much steam

Two very distinct and separate plumes apparent on the Holsvelli cam currently.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yes it is lava. There is basaltic magma welling up and the volcano temperature as measured from space is increasing.

Currently the lava flow is around 0.5km long and growing.

I can't find the post but I gather someone was asking about the location of the cameras.

You can download this KMZ file that I made for Google Earth which locates all the cams. The only one I am not 100% sure about is the Vodafone cam, but it is pretty much around where I have placed it.

Aw, that`s magic Puterman, much appreciated. That helps me make more sense of the cams location now. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Aren't you excited to see that the steam emission is halfway down the glacier since you last saw it?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Ok, so now there's an absence of steam coming from where the lava flow supposedly was last spotted. Instead, there appears to be a large dark area - could the lava have gone through the ice at this point? I'd have thought we'd still have steam even if this were the case...

More lava coming down by the looks of the steam further "upstream"...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

The steam plume is now way further down and to the left. A little more than halfway down the mountain. It has been puffing from that spot for a couple of hours now, and hasn't moved any further. Sorry I'm not good enough to add a pic yet.

Edit to add: Maybe I am nuts, the formation of the plume doesn't seem to be changing, maybe it is a strange ice formation...... anyone see what I am seeing?

[edit on 27-4-2010 by Brandyfro]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandyfro

Could you be more specific? I can't see any other movement suggesting steam further down the glacier..

EDIT: I think I know what you might be looking at - has a bright white element to it. I think it's an outcrop as hasn't changed.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

MoorfNZ, I think you are right. You are all far more the experts than I am. I am totally new to this. Earlier this morning it was not as apparent, probably due to lighting conditions. When I saw it brighten up, I thought it was steam. Sorry for the false alarm. I will continue to watch just in case, as it does seem to puff every so often..... we will see....

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandyfro

Never be put off placing your observations on here
most of us aren't experts at all - just watchers like you

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Eyja 's activity is increasing now?
could be related to heading an full moon...
EQ activity is also increasing in the rest of the world past day's...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Funny you mention the moon, I just got back from a drive (its 9pm here) and I was just thinking how big and artificial the moon tonight actually looks, it appears more like a moon you would see in a computer game than reality, it is extremely sharp - almost like high definition, really weird, it also looks bigger somehow.

Probably just me though....

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The activity seems to have decreased a bit, but the water that comes out of the cave, seems to be warmer, as one can see puffs of steam from time to time from the opening. The flow has also increased.
Hot lava under the ice?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
yeh i know exactly what your talking about temperature drop, it's a trick of the eye, light passes through the atmosphere at a different speed, when it hit's the earth at an angle from the moon, it appears as if the moon has got larger, only the atmosphere is making the moon look larger than it actually is due to an optical illusion, it also changes slightly yellowy? well, the moon was extra large and extra yellow looking last night anyway.
nice sight.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
The lower plumes are back in full swing again on the glacier
(Poro cam)

Since show below taken the flow has moved nearer to what looks like a sinkhole/melt crater in the glacier - can't wait to see what happens when it gets there!

[edit on 28-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Bullseye - lava finds its way into the vent/sinkhole/crater thingy in the glacier..

Heaps of steam and huge increase in water ejection from bottom of glacier and the water is steaming!

ARRRRGHHH CLOUDS GO AWAY...

Where are you all? It's soooo exciting!

OHHHH a new steam vent opened up further down glacier now!!!

Now there are huge boulders coming down in the steaming water out of the mouth of glacier!!

omg omg omg this is just awesome - more and more steam plumes appearing all over glacier - collapse imminent?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I'm here with ya

why oh why is it so dark- damn clouds - its noon already

I have vodafone really zoomed in too

so exciting, would be bad but I would like to see it collapse.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Hi, I'm here....
Do you have a tool to remove the clouds?

I can barely see anything....

But it seems that the lavaflow has reached the lake, and that the river has made a new floodstream.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

OMG what just happened at the bottom???

It's ok.. it's just a guy walking around - lucky thing!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
And I am not that far away either.

Couple of minutes ago I saw quite a steam going up from the glacier's foot. Was amazing to watch.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Looks like the lava-heated water, and probably the boulders being ejected, are carving a channel into the glacier below where it's flowing out at the bottom - cutting into it.

Even the standing water at the foot of the glacier is now starting to steam...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Really throwing out steam now!

Fascinating viewing!

new topics

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join