It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna Eruption ~ Local Coverage (latest event: Feb. 19 0500 local time! )

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

What time is it there bro. And hows Etna looking now? Stay safe.

I started taking pics this morning at 0510. I wish ATS would fix their time post as it's never worked for me!
And yeah, I'll stay safe, have to get the pictures out to ATS - lol.
(Oh and I'm a dude-ette - girl type - female)...

peace

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Thanks Silo, Great reporting!

Please be safe

If "they" suggest evacuation please do so, I have a family story about Mt. Saint Helens which involved
not doing what "they" suggested...

Anyhow peace be with you

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thank you for the updates, the pics and its great to know your safe while you
grab some great footage of Etna.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Wow, fantastic pictures !

This is better than MSM... kudos to silo13 for the great photo journalism.

Keep it up girl... but duck and run if a chunk comes flying !

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Between now and more pics I thought you might be interested in a really nice time-line of Etna's eruption history.

You can find it History of Etna Eruptions

Funny thing - I was telling an American friend of mine about Etna this morning on Skype. I said something about one of the first 'recorded' histories of Etna erupting was in 1500 BC. My friend came back with - 'You mean Etna's been around that long'?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I hope you don't mind, thanks for the new dt background, Love the colours and the sorta as above so below aspect

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Just some info about Mt Etna until we wait for further updates

Mount Etna is Europe's largest and most active volcano. It is characterized by frequent emissions of lava, gas and ash that, in general, pose little danger to the population surrounding its slopes.

History

Mount Etna has the longest recorded history of eruptions, dating to 1500 B.C. Its most explosive eruptions occurred in 1669, 1879 and from October 2002 to January 2003. The eruptions in 1669 caused more devastation than any other volcanic event in Mount Etna's history.

Geology

The base of Mount Etna is a 500,000 year-old shield volcano. Alternating layers of lava and a mixture of ash, gas and rocks form a stratovolcano on top of the base. The stratovolcano portion of Mount Etna is about 35,000 years old and continues to grow.

Elevation

As of 2009, the elevation at Mount Etna's summit is 10,925 feet. The elevation changes with the continual emissions of rock, ash and lava.

Features

Mount Etna has three prominent summit craters in addition to flank vents on its slopes that emit lava, ash and gases. Lava flows down all sides of the mountain and extends to the sea on the southeast flank.

Effects

Twenty-five percent of Sicily's population lives on the slopes of Mount Etna. The mountain is Sicily's main source of income thanks to tourism and the produce that grows in the rich volcanic soil. Lava flows are common and destroy property on or near the slopes. However, human life is rarely endangered. The slow flow of lava allows sufficient time for evacuation.

Fun Fact

An eruption in 122 B.C. caused so much damage to the nearby city of Catania that the inhabitants were exempted from paying taxes to Rome for 10 years.

Source : 10 Facts About Mount Etna
edit on 12-5-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Very cool facts - gotta love them.

At the moment She's not talking much and hiding behind the clouds that are just ringing Her top but I'll be ready later...

Strangely enough I've not found any new video - but - I'll keep trying on that too.

peace

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Alrighty , now thats just too cool! Now I want a volcano in my front yard too! I think............... hehehe

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Ya know, you'd think Etna would do a little more for me today other than just sit and steam and put off an occasional cloud a ash... Hell, it's my birthday. I've been loyal to Her for how long now? But Noooooooooo! She's not even giving any 'booms' today. How ungrateful is that!

So my update is She's calmly resting right back where She was a few days ago. Which is all good I suppose in the grand scheme of things.
Also, I've got an excursion planned to take some pics closer to the Her base where the lava is. I'm thinking about taking a 'ATS' flag and planting it there... Hmm, does ATS have a flag?

Between now and then here's some more interesting facts about Etna.

Many believe Etna is the home of the God of Fire Vulcan... I've yet to see any pointy eared up-tight guys in high boots and waders running around, but, you never know.

It's also said the 'third tier' of Etna is a 'Spartan wasteland'... Equally so I've yet to see any huge muscle-bound hunks, er I mean, hulks wearing provocative fighting clothing, but, I can still hope can't I?

Some of the dried lava dates as old as 300,000 years old. Whoa. Old lava that.

The oldest volcano is supposed to be Etna... It’s said to date back 350,000 years. Whoa. Old volcano that.

The most violent eruption in the history of Mount Etna occurred in March of 1669. On the first day, lava flows cut a smoldering gash out of two mountain villages.
No comment.

source

Last but not least here's a nice little in-a-nut-shell page with interesting facts about volcanoes. HERE

peace

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Happy Birthday Silo.

Etna, thats one big candle on your cake.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Happy Birthday my friend!!!! I have been reading this thread in awe of you and your outlook on things! I would be a basket case. I already had great respect for you from our "Lucy" correspondence, but I have even more respect for you now. You are awesome girl! Thank you so much for the great pics, and please don't take too many chances, and leave if they tell you too ok? Since I'm too far away to make you a birthday cake in person, here is what I WOULD make for you if I could! LOL! Have a great one honey! Love Kat

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Does anyone know a website to monitor EQ surrounding Mt. Etna, and the other "dormant" volcanoes around italy? Other than American sites... Thank you all and my thoughts are with you through this interesting time. Blessed be...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

... clears throat.....

Happy birthday to you .....
Happy birthday to you......
Happy birthday dearest silo...

Happy birthday to you.......

hip hip !!!! .....

.. keep up the good work wifey

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by cloud333

This is the site that I use to monitor earthquakes in Europe

www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JackieO

Thanks Jackie for the link.
Do you find it more reliable or timely than RSOE?
I'd like to hear your opinion if you've got one.

As for Our Lady Of the Eternal Lava here? She's napping... I don't know when She'll 'wake up' again but for the moment She's pretty calm.

peace

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58dbb09bf82f.jpg[/atsimg]

Yep, She's just taking a little rest after the big to-do the other day...

peace

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JackieO

Thank you very much! Also there is a good app called "earthquake". Just found it and it gives recent EQ from around the world using multiple data groups like USGS, EMSC, AND GeoNet to name a few...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Ok, first of all,
Enough of the "She's this" and "she's that" talk.

IT'S not a GIRL it's a God damned VOLCANO!!!!

and "SHE" isn't any more beautiful than the flood waters tha are destryong the South right now.

I have never understood the gall of people who describe a disaster or a potential disaster that has killed or could potentiallly kill thousands of people as......"Beautiful"

How about "she" looks scary as hell!!
edit on 14-5-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join