It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna Eruption ~ Local Coverage (latest event: Feb. 19 0500 local time! )

page: 89
<< 86  87  88   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

What does that ash fallout feel like? It looks so coarse and harsh in the picture.

Are people taking measures to prevent themselves from inhaling that awful looking fallout?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Aesome Silo,
I'm with Byrd on this.....be very careful.
Just don't love her too much. Thanks !

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SkipIntro

What does that ash fallout feel like? It looks so coarse and harsh in the picture.

Are people taking measures to prevent themselves from inhaling that awful looking fallout?

When it hits you in the head it really hurts. It's very sharp and though it isn't heavy at all - it's really gritty, gets into everything and in general is hell to deal with!

Nothing we can really do to stop from breathing anything in - the gasses at least. If it gets bad out with ash we can use a face scarf but really? That's about it!

peace

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Wow! I love how bring your excitement to us. Just try and not get too crazy because if your hurt you would be missed at ATS. Wishing you the opportunity to get a video safely.

Silo, I have been to your thread a few times in the last year or so. You have probably gave this information before but, how far are you from her? Are you a scientist or an enthusiastic hobby?
edit on 19-2-2013 by Twilightgem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
0152 am Feb 20 -

She's getting loud - some fountain lava - not much yet but by the sounds of her this morning it looks promising.

Will keep you posted

peace

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Headed back out - while inside posting this? It's getting REALLY LOUD out there!

Be back -

peace

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
These are amazing pictures, Silo!
I can't recall if a previous poster already asked this or not, but how close are you getting to that?? I'm hoping you have a really good zoom function and aren't actually a stone's throw away, so to speak, because it sure looks like you're right up there next to it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Still more... It looks like there will be a lot of clean up againin the morning - where depends on the wind at the moment!

peace

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Now the lava flow has started in earnest the Mountain is quieting.
Some ash hitting the roof - not as much as yesterday (said with fingers crossed).

Until next time,

peace

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

As deadly as that is, it is also so beautiful. Thanks for posting the pics and updates. My word. I'm just enthralled.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Wow, those are amazing pictures! I hate to say this, because I know they are so dangerous and destructive, but it must be such an exciting experience to be there and witness that. Especially getting to photograph it for all us to see as well!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Good morning all
Finally managed to log in again.
Wonderful photos

Here is the update.
There was yet another episode from Etna last night. This is the second paroxysm in 24hours. The last time that there have been two paroxysms in 24 hours was on 1 June 2000. At that time, this was from the (old) Southeast Crater. In the next few days we will be able to see if Etna is entering a new phase of frantic activity like that of 2000. It could be that this pair of paroxysms remains an isolated incident. I will be watching tonight to make any changes.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

I was just about ready to go and hunt you down! I was getting worried where you'd been!

There has been a great deal of action over the night.

I spoke with MOD Kandinsky about opening a NEW Etna thread for 2013. I'm working on it now - to include pics from last night.

I'll message you and some of the other 'regulars' when the thread it up!

Thanks so much! Good to have you back!

peace

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

February 20, 2013 – ITALY – Italy’s Mount Etna sent lava and gas shooting toward the stars early this morning (Feb. 19), the first big eruption for the volcano in 2013. The famous Sicilian volcano burst to life overnight, sending a fountain of fire into the air. The dramatic scene was captured in a video by Klaus Dorschfeldt, a videographer and webmaster at Italy’s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology. Mount Etna, one of the world’s most active volcanoes, had emitted signs of an imminent paroxysm in recent weeks. On Jan. 22, lava and strong flashes in the volcano’s New Southeast Crater were clearly visible from the Sicilian foothills; these often herald a new paroxysm: short, violent eruptive bursts. Dorschfeldt said he knew Mount Etna’s recent signals could precede new activity. “I followed the activity of Etna for many years, and with time you learn to know it as if it were your friend,” he said in an email interview. “Following it constantly (you) learn to be a keen observer and a minor change can lead to something important,” he told OurAmazingPlanet. The tallest volcano in Europe, Mount Etna is almost constantly spewing gas or lava. Its Bocca Nuova crater also erupted earlier this year, from Jan. 10 to Jan. 20. In 2011, Etna’s violent bursts were spotted from space. –Live Science

[url=http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/italys-mount-etna-volcano-rattled-by-explosive-eruption/[/url]

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
It's going to be hard to say goodbye to this thread even though we're going to start a new one.

In the time between?

She is making a LOT of noise! VERY loud at the moment - but hiding behind a lot of cloud cover.

She's sounding vicious!

Maybe she'd excited about her new thread!

I better get to it!

peace

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
THE NEW ETNA THREAD can be found HERE!

PLEASE POST AT THE ABOVE LINK

peace

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wondering302
I cannot believe the MSM hasn't picked up on this yet. I've been following this thread for about an hour now, and I will continue to do so.

because it's not big news....Etna is always a little bit active, sometimes a bit more like now, but that is not big news.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Please redirect your comments to the new thread in the link below.

THE NEW ETNA THREAD can be found HERE!

##Thread closed##

top topics

<< 86  87  88   >>

join